What baby doesn't like cheese? It's easy to pick up, soft, and has tons of flavor. One of my friends is vegan and introduced me to Nutritional Yeast a few years ago. The name sounds kind of disgusting if you ask me, but it's a pretty cool ingredient. It comes in a powder form which is flakey.
My friend was cooking for her toddler and made vegan macaroni and cheese. I was totally skeptical at first, but then realized it was delicious! You can sprinkle it into casseroles, soup, sauces to add tons of nutrients and cheese flavor. In this dish, I've added it along with Colby Cheese, so that Kenya will get the protein and fat from a little cheese plus the vitamins and nutrients from the nutritional yeast.
We used these to make this recipe_
Cheesy Chicken Casserole (10 Baby Servings)
- 1 russet potato, cubed
- 15 organic baby carrots
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup Shredded Organic Colby or Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
Preparation1. Add the potato, carrots and chicken to a steamer pot over boiling water.
2. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender and chicken is cooked through.
3. Put all the ingredients in a food processor and puree.
4. Add water from the steamer pot to make smooth.
5. Cool and serve.