Garam Marsala has one of those fabulous, exotic names that scare most people off when they see it in the spice aisle. It's actually a mix of cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, black pepper and coriander. Chickpeas with Garam Masala baby food has a mix of protein, vegetables a starch and is vegetarian. You don't need to add very much garam marsala which gives it a little kick and smells incredible.
I'm usually a stickler for farmers market fresh, but let's be honest, not everyone has the option of keeping seasonal produce in the fridge at all times. Most of the items in this recipe can be canned or frozen.
I find canned organic tomatoes and beans to be a saving grace. They're soft and the tomatoes have added juice which is nice when you're thinning a puree. It's not ideal, but when tomatoes are out of season, it's a perfect time saving option.
We used these to make this recipe_
Chickpeas with Garam Masala (makes about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup cauliflower
- 1/4 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup brown rice, steamed
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (or dried that have been soaked overnight and cooked)
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes, canned or fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
Preparation1. Add cauliflower to a steamer basket over boiling water.
2. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Add the peas and cook for a total of 5 minutes or until cauliflower is fork tender.
4. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth.
5. Cool and serve.
To Freeze: Place in Baby Cubes and freeze for up to 3 months.