Homemade Fish Sticks

Fish Sticks

Yum

When I was little there was nothing I hated more then the nights that my parents went out (this was before I was a teenager, mind you). But I dreaded these nights not because they were leaving or that I would have to stuck with a babysitter, but because by 5:30pm, my brother and I would be sitting at the dinner table with our frozen fish sticks dinners in front of us. They were always soggy, drenched in salty breadcrumbs and tasted more like chicken and fillers then fish. In fact, after speaking with many people, it became very apparent to me that fish sticks are a lot of people's introduction to fish, thus triggering a childhood disdain for fish in general. I knew I couldn't inflict the same torture on my son.
I had so much fun coming up with this recipe and it was much less expensive buying fresh fish and a big bag of panko then buying a frozen tv dinner with a measly 8 sticks inside.
I've also been using a salt free seasoning lately called Vegit (also known as Spike). It's a really great option when you want to add extra flavor to your little ones dish without a lot of salt. There's only 15 milligrams of sodium per 1/8 teaspoon and it's packed with nutritional yeast and dried herbs.
I think these would be great to serve at a little ones birthday party or even better, when you go out and the kids want a special treat.

Fish Sticks  (Make 8-10 Sticks)

• 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs*
  • 1 teaspoon vegit*
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 pounds. fish (tilapia, opah or any firm white fish will do), cut into 2-inch-long sticks
  • 2-3 tablespoons olive oil

1. 1. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, breadcrumbs and Vegit.
  2. 2. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg.
  3. 3. Dip the fish sticks in the egg, then coat with the flour mixture. If you keep one hand dry it will prevent your hands and the fish sticks from becoming clumpy with breadcrumbs.
  4. 4. Place on a plate until all of the fish sticks are lightly coated.
  5. 5. Heat 1-2 Tbsp of the oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
  6. 6. Cook half of the fish sticks for 2-3 minutes until golden.
  7. 7. Turn them and cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes or until fully
  8. cooked through.
  9. 8. Repeat with remaining oil and fish sticks.
  10. 9. Cool and serve.
  11. *You can find both of these items at Wholefoods and many health food stores
Fish Sticks

Comments

1. Pingback: Meal Plan – October Weeks 2 & 3 | Soul Munchies

2. Pingback: Easy-to-Make Fish Sticks? Yes, Please! - Parents.com

3. E.V

February 21, 2014 at 9:08 am

Hi! I was just wondering if I can follow the same recipe to make a tilapia sandwich?

4. Christina Curtin

September 24, 2013 at 10:14 pm

These were a hit! I had my son help me by shaking the fish in the breadcrumbs in a zipped baggie. I served with a yogurt dip and ketchup to give him a choice and he gobbled them up! They were super easy and I’m looking forward to having them in my freezer.

5. Melanie

September 20, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Can you make this with salmon or does it have to be a whitefish?

6. Pingback: Inspiration for: Toddler Food: Fish Sticks | mother | worker | chef | wife

7. adrimolina

October 14, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Hi, what can I replace Vegit with if I don´t have it? Thanks! :)

October 15, 2012 at 12:17 pm

You can use any salt-free seasoning!

8. laurel

July 11, 2012 at 9:49 pm

What if you’ve cooked them, and they weren’t all eaten. What now? Will freezing work?

July 12, 2012 at 11:44 am

I haven’t tried freezing them after cooking, but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. I say give it a try!

9. Shannon

July 4, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Oops. Try not buy! :)

10. Shannon

July 4, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Just wondering why this recipe is different than the video? And how it affects the how the fish crisps up? In the video version, you dip it in egg and then the breadcrumb/flour/vegit mixture. You reduce it to 2 steps instead of 3. I’m going to go buy the video version (I am all for 2 steps instead of 3) but I was just wondering why the difference! Thanks!

• Shannon

July 5, 2012 at 10:13 am

I just wanted to update my post to say that I made these fish sticks using the 2 steps from the video with wild snapper fillets (3 big ones) and the kids ate every last bite of fish. I couldn’t believe it. My daughter had a friend over who told me she didn’t like fish but was ok with fish sticks. She had 5 pieces. :) I will use this recipe again for sure!

July 5, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Sorry for the confusion! I’m glad they worked for you, and I’m with you, the fewer the steps the better! :)

11. Lisa

June 12, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Ok, made these for the second time last night only used panko instead of breadcrumbs. Amazing!!!!! Really loved the crunchy coating that panko gives it.

12. Lisa

June 4, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I just made these for lunch for my two young girls (2 and 3 1/2) and they (we) LOVED them!! I will definately make these again. :-)

13. marisa

May 31, 2012 at 8:44 am

so just to clarify, they can be frozen with the raw egg on them?

14. catherine

May 25, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Yes, freeze them after you’ve breaded them!

15. Yasmin

May 25, 2012 at 11:53 am

Can I freeze these?, thank you

16. rachel

May 1, 2012 at 4:25 am

I like making fish sticks in a similar way but i have 5 kids so i do kit in the oven…

17. Juniper

March 18, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Im also wondering about freezing these. Would love to make a big batch since my daughter lOves fish sticks!

18. Pingback: Record Pike

19. Jessica

September 28, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I was JUST thinking yesterday how homemade fish sticks might be the ticket to getting my toddler to eat (and swallow) fish. Fingers crossed! It’s on the menu for next week.

20. Felicia

September 25, 2011 at 1:07 pm

We make salmon fish sticks at my house. Kids love them and now they are sed to the taste of the fish and will eat it at restaurants. We break them with milk and seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs and then bake in the oven. We drizzle a bit of olive oil over the sticks before baking which helps crisp them up.

21. Amber

September 25, 2011 at 1:25 am

You mentioned panko in the description, but used breadcrumbs in the recipe. Can you use panko? Why did you decide against it?

September 26, 2011 at 5:37 pm

You can use either/or :)

22. tive76

September 14, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Can this be frozen ???

• Andrea

September 26, 2011 at 10:54 am

Good question, I was wondering the same thing. I would think it they could be frozen but does anyone have any confirmation?

23. Jenn

May 29, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I mix some cornmeal in with my outer coating (and sometimes fresh parmesan), spray them lightly w/olive oil or canola, and bake them in the oven at 450 deg. for about 20 minutes, turning once. I’ve had bad luck w/the fish flaking apart or losing the breading in the frying pan. Before turning them, I gently loosen each fish stick w/a metal spatula and usually there are no casualties. Sure beats the frozen boxed stuff…my kids gobble these fresh sticks like there’s no tomorrow! We have fun w/different sauces, too.

• JBirecki

November 18, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Thank you for posting this, I have very little luck with stove top (though I can cook pasta and make soup), but have always been talented with the oven and would rather bake them than saute.

24. Lee Anne

January 12, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Wondering if you had any tartar sauce recipes? I’m going to just search the internet for one tonight – but I always look here first. I’ve never made one at home before.

25. Tammy

October 18, 2010 at 11:29 am

Ooops. I guess if I would read the whole post & not just the recipe, I would have found the answer I was looking for. :)

26. Tammy

October 18, 2010 at 11:27 am

What is Vegit? Where can it be purchased? Thank you.

October 18, 2010 at 2:32 pm

You can purchase it in the dried herbs and powder section of your local store, but it is usually found in health food stores :)

27. Cathy Hill

May 30, 2008 at 7:37 am

Cath, can’t believe you had the same experience I did with fish sticks – only a generation later. It took me a long time to appreciate fresh fish (that did not come in perfect rectangles). I am loving your site.

Much love, Aunt C