Of all of the delicious recipes (at least, I think they're delicious!) created for weelicious, I have to say that few things get everyone in my house hustling to the kitchen faster than when I'm making something that smells as heavenly as these chicken, cheese and pinto bean quesadillas. I knew these were going to be a hit even before my number one taster, Kenya, put one in his mouth because he was standing at my pant leg grunting and repeatedly saying "mamamamama", which translated in baby language is "whatever you've got up there I want right now)!!!
These quesadillas couldn't be easier to make. They take only minutes to prepare and I think Kenya ate more of them in one sitting then anything I've ever served him. You can use any type of tortilla, but I like to use whole wheat or spelt. Both kinds came out great, but after the spelt tortillas were cooked, they had a really toasty, nutty flavor. These quesadillas are packed with protein and as we say in our house "yummy, yummy yummy!"
Chicken, Bean and Cheese Quesadillas (Serves 2 )
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/2 cup pinto beans
- 1/2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 2 whole wheat or spelt tortillas
Preparation1. Place the chicken breast in a steamer pot over boiling water and steam for 8-10 minutes or until it’s cooked through. Finely chop the chicken.
2. Heat a skillet over medium to low heat. Place one tortilla in the pan and top with 1/2 of the cheese. Add beans and chicken and top with the remaining cheese.
3. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese melts. Top with the remaining tortilla, flip, and cook an additional 2-3 minutes, until cheese is melted and tortillas are golden brown.
4. Cool for several minutes, cut into triangles and serve.
Note: The cheese can remain quite hot even after you cut the tortillas into triangles, so make sure it’s cool before serving to your toddler.