Chicken, Bean and Cheese Quesadillas

Of all of the delicious recipes (at least, I think they're delicious!) created for weelicious, I have to say
chicken, cheese and pinto bean quesadillas. I knew these were going to be a hit even before my number one taster,
Kenya, put one in his mouth because he was standing at my pant leg grunting and repeatedly saying "mamamamama", which translated in baby language is
"whatever you've got up there I want right now)!!!

These quesadillas couldn't be easier to make. They take only minutes to
prepare and I think Kenya ate more of them in one sitting then anything I've ever
served him. You can use any type of tortilla, but I like to use whole wheat or spelt. Both kinds came out great, but after the spelt tortillas were cooked, they had a
really toasty, nutty flavor. These quesadillas are packed with protein
and as we say in our house "yummy, yummy yummy!"

Chicken, Bean and Cheese Quesadillas  (Serves 2 )

that few things get everyone in my house hustling to the kitchen faster than when I'm making something that smells as heavenly as these...

• 1 chicken breast
  • 1/2 cup pinto beans
  • 1/2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
  • 2 whole wheat or spelt tortillas

1. 1. Place the chicken breast in a steamer pot over boiling water and steam for 8-10 minutes or until it’s cooked through. Finely chop the chicken.
  2. 2. Heat a skillet over medium to low heat. Place one tortilla in the pan and top with 1/2 of the cheese. Add beans and chicken and top with the remaining cheese.
  3. 3. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese melts. Top with the remaining tortilla, flip, and cook an additional 2-3 minutes, until cheese is melted and tortillas are golden brown.
  4. 4. Cool for several minutes, cut into triangles and serve.
  5. Note: The cheese can remain quite hot even after you cut the tortillas into triangles, so make sure it’s cool before serving to your toddler.
Chicken, Bean and Cheese Quesadillas

Comments

1. adrimolina

March 13, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Hi Catherine, you changed this recipe right? I have made it many times but remember the pictures being different and the chicken had to be mixed with the beans in the food processor…

March 13, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I sort of updated it to be more big kid and adult friendly. You can absolutely blend the beans and chicken in the food processor for little ones!

• adrimolina

March 14, 2013 at 10:01 am

Oh I see, I have tried it both ways as the latest version is a little easier to make but I love the way that mixture tastes and the beans don’t come out of the quesadillas. Still a super yummy and easy recipe. I recommend it to everyone I know :)

2. MA

May 28, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Love this easy way to use extra chicken…and can customize each one…hot sauce for the hubby, extra cheese and some corn for kids!

3. Pingback: Meal Plan 11.30.09 – 12.06.09

4. Pingback: articulos promocionales

5. garvinp

March 31, 2011 at 11:38 am

I made these today really fast for lunch! Threw some leftover chicken breast in the food processor and added it to a can of fat free refried beans and spread it on the tortilla with some lowfat mozzarella cheese. Added some green onions and sour cream. Cooked it on the griddle. Absolutely delicious!!! I will be making these again for our 15 month old and ourselves. She gobbled it up!!! Thanks so much for a simple and yummy recipe!

• Adeola

February 2, 2014 at 6:16 pm

My mom is a great cook, but my grandmother was fatsintac. This post is bringing back memories of her cornmeal pancakes, which she made without a recipe and I cannot not replicate. But I’ll keep trying!

6. akmum

March 5, 2011 at 1:48 am

I’ll have to try these! I made some similar ones for lunch the other day- shredded chicken, cheddar cheese, whole black beans and diced grape tomatoes. The boys loved them!

7. Pingback: Monday to Friday Meal Ideas | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food (and now for big kids too!)

8. Pingback: Chicken Bean and Cheese Quesadilla Program | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food (and now for big kids too!)

9. Lisa

December 31, 2008 at 3:21 pm

Thanks for a great recipie! So quick and easy, the only changes I made was that I bought the chicken already cooked at the deli and I added mexican blended cheeses! :)