One of the best parts about living in California is the gorgeous local produce that is available year-round. I’d like to think I’ve seen it all when it comes to food, but I still find myself being surprised all of the time. I remember my amazement the first time I saw purple cauliflower at the farmer’s market. Truly something to behold as well as being incredibly nutritious. I always find that if kids are taken with the color of a food, they are more interested in trying it. And what is cooler than purple soup?!
Kenya drinks up this recipe like a smoothie. I like to sprinkle a little grated parmesan on top so even if your little one has an aversion to purple vegetables, the cheese on top may still lure them in!
Purple Cauliflower Soup (4-6 Servings)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, chopped
- 1 Head Purple Cauliflower, cut into florets (you can also use white or yellow cauliflower)
- 3 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated, plus extra for sprinkling on top if desired
Preparation1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot and over medium heat and saute the onion for 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minutes.
3. Add the cauliflower and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
4. Cook for 15 minutes or until the cauliflower is fork tender.
5. Pour ingredients plus parmesan cheese into a blender and puree.
* Allow to cool, place in appropriate container or ziploc bag, label and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, heat in a pot over low-medium heat or defrost in fridge for 24 hours.