Kiddy Corn Chowder - Weelicious

Kiddy Corn Chowder

Yum

When Kenya was just beginning to get teeth we would let him gnaw on samples of fresh, raw corn-on-the-cob at our local farmer's market. Can you imagine how delicious fresh corn kernels bursting with sweetness and flavor must taste to a baby? It must have tasted pretty good to Kenya, because whenever summer rolls around, he just can't get enough of corn.

Now that Kenya is older, I try and use corn to make more "grown up" dishes for him, like this corn chowder. It is really hearty, delicious and, best of all, easy to make. You can use white, yellow and/or bi-color corn. Just cut the kernels off the cob and the whole dish is ready in 20 minutes. And don't throw away the cobs! They're an absolutely essential ingredient to creating this soup's intense corn flavor and rich taste.

Whether you decide to puree the soup for a one year-old to enjoy or even offer it to adults at a dinner party, this corn chowder will be a hit!

Kiddy Corn Chowder  (Serves 4)

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 4 ears corn, husked and corn kernels cut off the cob
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 1/2 cups milk (i use 2%)
  • 1 potato, peeled and cut into a small dice

1. 1. Place the butter in a stock pot over medium heat and saute the onions with the salt for 5 minutes.
  2. 2. Add the garlic and continue to cook an additional minute.
  3. 3. Add the corn kernels, corn cobs (for additional flavor and thickener), stock, milk and potatoes to the pot and bring to a boil.
  4. 4. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
  5. 5. Remove the corn cobs from the soup and discard.
  7. *If you want a thicker chowder, puree half of the finished soup in a blender until smooth and creamy.
Kiddy Corn Chowder

Comments

1. Marcee ... ILLINOIS

September 19, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Yummers! Love watching you prepare. I will try recipe soon. Thanks.

2. Jennie624

July 23, 2013 at 1:37 pm

i made this last Sunday and it was delicious!! I used soy milk and vegetable broth with no problems. My husband went back for seconds and my 3 year said it was yummy! That’s the first soup I’ve actually given her, too. Thanks again for another easy and tasty recipe!!!

3. Lisa

July 16, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Just made this yesterday with our seasonal bi-color corn, delicious!
    My 2 year old loved it, and he is usually picky with textures (I did purée half if the soup though),
    We topped it off with cracked black pepper and thinly sliced green onions, yum!
    Thanks for another great recipe :)

4. Nancy

June 29, 2012 at 3:22 pm

My husband loves this recipe! I’ve already made it three times in the past and now he wants to know if I can add chicken to it? I have a lot of trouble with making overcooked chicken – I’m a little nervous about knowing if any pink is left or not. Any suggestions on how to prepare chicken for this soup? I was going to cut it into cubes.

June 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm

You could bake it (boneless and skinless) at 350, covered with foil or in a parchment packet for about 20-30 minutes, or until no pink remains! You could also poach chicken in water or chicken broth. You could even get a rotisserie chicken from your local grocery and shred that to put in the soup!

5. Pingback: Latestcottage cheese recipesinformation

6. Cosette

September 6, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Just ate this for dinner… delicious! I made a few changes (out of necessity): I only used three ears of corn (but they were really big), because I didn’t read the recipe right before I went shopping, and I used half skim milk and half heavy whipping cream, because I ran out of milk! I did blend a little bit of it, and it was a perfect consistency! My daughter didn’t finish her whole bowl, but she’s been a little funky in the eating department lately. I finished mine, and hers, and can’t wait for hubby to get home and try it! Will make this again and again!

7. VanessaG

September 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm

YUMMY for sure!!! I just LOVE all of your recipes.

8. Snoopypana

August 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm

This was like a bowl of comfort. Really good soup. Thanks so much for your delicious recipes!