Carrot Pineapple Muffins

carrot-pineapple-muffins.jpg

There has only been one other recipe that I've tested for weelicious -- the Dark Chocolate Cupcake -- that took as many tries to perfect as this recipe. It required 9 tries to make the perfect pineapple carrot muffin WITHOUT using refined sugar and here it is! I'm really excited about how they came out because not only did Kenya love them, but the final batch was gorgeous, super easy to prepare (once I got the flavor right!) and made the perfect amount of muffins for a few days worth of meals and snacks for our family. The best part, though, is that they freeze extremely well too. You can toss a bunch in a zipper bag and into the freezer and whenever you need one, just put it in your little one’s school lunchbox and it will be defrosted and ready to eat by lunchtime. Isn't it great when a recipe actually makes life easier?!

We used these to make this recipe:

Carrot Pineapple Muffins  (Makes 14 Muffins)

• 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar or honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup pineapple, chopped fine and drained well or 1 8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained well
  • 1 cup shredded carrot (about 2 large carrot)
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, optional

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees,
  2. 2. In a large bowl combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  3. 3. In a separate bowl combine the butter and agave using a whisk or an electric beater to combine.
  4. 4. Add the eggs and whisk to combine.
  5. 5. Add the vanilla, pineapple, carrots and walnuts (if using) to the butter mixture.
  6. 6. Stir in the dry ingredients, making sure not to over mix.
  7. 7. Scoop the batter into regular size, paper lined muffin cups.
  8. 8. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  9. 9. Cool and serve.
Carrot Pineapple Muffins

Comments

1. Sandy

September 7, 2014 at 8:58 am

Made these this morn for breakfast & they are a winner. I made some tweaks for our family. Pureed the carrots, pineapple, and walnuts (to avoid texture issues with child). and added cinnamon (fav spice and reportedly helps body digest carbs more steadily). My boys are fans of Cupcake Wars and convinced me to top with a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Sorry to diverge from the ‘sugar free’ goodness you had going! Thanks for sharing your recipes!

2. Katonna

January 15, 2014 at 11:51 am

So I made these muffins last night..although I did add a little coconut oil and a little coconut sugar but they are delicious..my daughter ate them this morning for breakfast and was sad when her bowl was empty..but on a side note while I was in the kitchen making these I swear I could hear your voice and I though how odd why would my husband be watching her videos..so I walked in the living room..and he wasnt of course..he was watching guy’s grocery games where you were one of the judges!! Loved seeing you on there! and thanks for the yummy recipes

3. Dailyn Gunderson

November 1, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Just made this muffins today and are delicious! I was wondering what is your reasoning by using half all purpose and half wheat flour? I always use all of it all purpose and they turn out perfect.

4. Lindsay

October 7, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I just made these and, like commenter Leanne, also subbed in coconut oil. They are delicious! Thank you so much.

5. Leanne B

September 26, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I subbed in coconut oil for the butter and the flavour was awesome! Thanks for this recipe!

6. Dina

March 30, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Hi. Is wheat flour the same as whole wheat flour? Thanks.

April 1, 2013 at 10:18 am

Yes, whole wheat flour!

7. frenchflyer

August 29, 2012 at 9:04 pm

So is it 1/2 a cup of pineapple or 8 oz? It seems odd to double the amount just because you’re using canned vs fresh.

8. First Class Recipes

January 30, 2012 at 6:24 am

My brother suggested I would possibly like this web site. He used to be totally right. This put up truly made my day. You can not consider simply how a lot time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

9. At Home Male Yeast Infection Cure

December 7, 2011 at 7:39 pm

It’s really a cool and helpful piece of information. I am glad that you simply shared this useful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

• Emmanuel

February 4, 2014 at 12:23 am

Pineapples are so much fun even if they are only for bed! My hair is longer than yours, so the curls hang down to aslomt the start of my jaw, looks really funny when it splits in two and all the curls hang to the sides! hahaha!

10. blisters

October 9, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Hey There. I discovered your weblog the use of msn. This is a really neatly written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your helpful info. Thanks for the post. I?ll definitely return.

• Kimberli

February 2, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Unlike your analogy I am only knlilig a plant if I miss my guess. This is how I garden. I in fact always mention I am NOT an expert and I am NOT dictationg how anyone SHOULD do anything. I only teach how I do things. Anyone who assumes I am claiming to be an expert is assuming wrong and should relax and remember this is only gardening .not heart surgery.

11. Pingback: olive oil hair remedy

12. Suja

May 5, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I was skeptical about this recipe, but am a convert now. I just took the first batch out of the oven, and they came out great! Kidlet (14 months) was in the middle of dinner, but asked for and ate a few pieces. We’ll see how breakfast goes tomorrow.

13. treatment for hair loss

April 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I’ve bookmarked, Dugg, and I joined the RSS subscription. Thanks! .

14. Kim Chuck

April 2, 2011 at 12:36 am

Hi

I have Agave Syrup… Is that the same as nectar? never used it before so not sure.

Thanks!

April 4, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Yes it is :)

15. Julie P.

March 6, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Forgot to comment on this ages ago but making them tonight. One of our absolute favorites. So great for breakfast and snacks-love that there’s a veggie in it. Well worth the effort Catherine-thanks for your dedication to the craft.

I saw the cookbook news-fantastic. Will you be doing a book tour??–if so would love to come ann support you.

16. Jessica

January 21, 2011 at 10:52 am

Made these this morning with apple instead of pineapple…stick with the pineapple!

17. Catherine

December 11, 2010 at 10:15 am

I used half olive oil and half butter. I used almost 1/4 cup honey, omitted vanilla, pretty much pureed the pineapple then strained it, and omitted the walnuts. It made 12 mini and 5 large muffins. I made these last night and they were a success! Moist in the inside and a nice crust for the muffin top. My husband and little man ate it up. My husband also said if they fell on the floor he would still eat em!!! Great recipe. I will be making these again and again.

• Mrs D

January 8, 2013 at 2:27 pm

The Olive Oil did not change the flavor? I was thinking of trying grape seed oil, or something like that.

18. Cher

October 12, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Hi! I’m going to be making cupcakes for my daughter’s birthday party at school. Planning on letting the kids decorate their own cupcakes. This muffin recipe looks so yummy! Would it taste okay if I used this muffin recipe instead of a cupcake recipe, and then have then frost and decorate it? If so, which flavor frosting would you recommend? I have the regular size 12-muffin pan at home. Would the amount of ingredients and baking time be remain the same as listed above? Please advise. It’s my first time trying this recipe out. Thanks!

October 13, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I would still use this with the cream cheese frosting we have for the Carrot Pineapple Cupcakes :) The baking time may vary – I would leave them in 3-5 min longer then test with a toothpick.

19. Donna

October 4, 2010 at 10:04 pm

^^ oops the above name is supposed to be Donna! LOL!

20. Donn

October 4, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I just made these today with a mini muffin pan, and they are WONDERFUL! My very picky eater ate 2 1/2 of them…and that’s saying alot!
    I love your site and all your great recipes :)

21. Karen

September 30, 2010 at 12:52 am

I am really excited to try these but my daughter seems to have a sensitivity to pineapple- can I substitute the pineapple with anything else?

I also have to substitute the eggs. Your suggestion of the 1 Tbsp flaxseed and 3 Tbsp water- does this replace one egg? Would I need to double that for this recipe?

I love that you respond to the questions and I can see already that I can use canola oil in place of the butter as my daughter has a dairy allergy too.

September 30, 2010 at 2:14 pm

The flaxseed mixture is for one egg – I think if you use too much, the flavor might change though – here is something i found for egg placers http://www.foodsubs.com/Eggs.html hope this helps. Also for the pineapple, try using apples either grated or in chunks

• Murat

February 1, 2014 at 2:34 am

All quiet on the western front we had about five ihecns of water in the backyard, but the deluge let up and the creek retreated. It happened shortly before sunrise, so we don’t have photos. Now it’s time to get ready for round two

• Lorrie

October 12, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I just made these using the banana substitute….turned out awesome!!!

22. Jen

September 23, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I made these with my 13 month old in mind, however my 13 year old step-daughter cannot get enough of these! She ate 4 when she came home from school today! I think it is just as hard to get teens to eat their veggies as it is for toddlers!
    Anyway, I used oil instead of butter, and did part agave and part maple syrup, and used possibly a cup more carrot than the recipe called for. They came out soooo good!
    Thanks ! I love your website. I get such good ideas for cooking for my entire family!

• Mrs D

January 8, 2013 at 2:29 pm

What type of oil did you use?

23. Cosette

September 3, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I have made these twice now, and love them. This last time, the ones I ate the day after I made them got really crumbly, but my daughter and I just scraped all the crumbs off the table and into our mouths! Delicious!

24. Dina

August 23, 2010 at 9:58 am

Can I use canola oil to replace the butter?

August 23, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Yes you can :)

25. jen

May 18, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Can you replace the egg? Applesauce? How does it change the muffin? Have a child in the class with egg allergies…love your site! Thank you so much!

• sarah

July 22, 2010 at 4:36 pm

you can use flax seed meal to replace the egg. You use 1 tablespoon of flax meal mixed with 3 tablespoons of water, let sit for a few minutes and then use as you would an egg. It can also be used as a butter replacement, use 3 tablespoons for every one tablespoon of butter needed.

26. Aline

January 8, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Hi. I have just tried to make these muffins. They taste good, but they are falling apart, a little dry. It was my second try with agave. The first one was the banana wee muffins, which where perfect, so I´m a little disappointed. Any idea of what may have happened? Thanks and happy 2010! Aline

27. rebecca

December 23, 2009 at 5:29 pm

how long do you cook the muffins when you use your mini pan??
    thanks

May 14, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Cook them for 20-22 minutes in a mini muffin cup

28. Brody's Mom

December 15, 2009 at 5:43 pm

These were a little dry for me (although Brody loved them!) and the batter had a thick consistency. I live in Denver, CO so should I have done something differently? I didn’t get too much of the pineapple flavor so should I add a bit more next time?

29. NATE

December 10, 2009 at 7:22 am

My year 5 old loves this. goo way to get friit and vegies.

30. izabella

December 9, 2009 at 8:24 pm

where did you get those cute muffin holders!!! They’re fabulous ;o)

• Julie P.

October 29, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I know this response comes much later but I saw these the other day at Joanne Fabric’s. Not sure if they have this where you live but it’s a large arts and crafts store so I would try a similar store.

31. Mandie

December 9, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Ooooh, goody! I always have such a hard time finding a healthy and yummy muffin or cake recipe that isn’t dry or flavorless. I will have to try this!

32. Simone

December 9, 2009 at 5:58 pm

I would love to make this recipe but I don’t have agave nectar. Is there anything else I can use instead of agave nectar? I don’t mind using sugar or applesauce….

Thanks

May 14, 2010 at 5:56 pm

You can use maple syrup or honey :)

May 11, 2010 at 1:09 pm

you can use honey or maple syrup :)