Coconut Macaroons

macaroon.jpg

Months ago I bought some unsweetened shredded coconut at our neighborhood health food store in order to make weelicious Date Nut Bites. To say the least, I was shocked when I discovered that Kenya had eaten over HALF of the bag while I was organizing the kitchen, so I couldn't even make the recipe. When I looked at him with a shocked expression on my face, he said "mommy, I love coco-noot!"

We all know that when kids get their hands on a food they love, they will gobble it up in no time. While thinking of holiday cookie ideas that feature Kenya's beloved "coco-noot" but DON'T use refined sugar, the idea for making macaroons came to mind. I love macaroons, but most of the ones I find in stores are LOADED with sugar and other nasty ingredients. Just for kicks, I decided to replace the cup (or more) of white sugar found in most macaroon recipes with agave nectar and I'm happy to report it was a total success! In order to make the macaroons even more appropriate for the holidays, weelicious test number two was to place some of the cookie mixture in cookie cutters, pat them down to keep them flat and remove the mold before baking -- they turned out looking amazing! Finally, so I could have variety without much more effort, weelicious test number three was to see if I could make a delicious chocolate version without major changes to the original recipe. To my surprise, the new macaroons came out perfectly by adding just a tablespoon of cocoa powder. I love it when I'm testing a new recipe and all my little experiments actually work out so well!

I think you'll find this recipe to be versatile without added effort and a real treat for anyone that loves coconut as much as my little guy. Happy holidays!

Coconut Macaroons  (makes 16 cookies)

• 2 cups unsweetened coconut, shredded
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (i used kosher)
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2. In a large bowl (preferably a metal bowl) beat the egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes or until they have stiff peaks.
  3. 3. Fold in the remaining ingredients until incorporated (the egg whites will deflate quite a bit).
  4. 4. Place 2 tbsps of the batter on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet (you can also place cookie cutters on the baking sheet and place the batter inside patting it down with a spoon to even it out. Remove the cookie cutter before baking).
  5. 5. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
  7. *If you want to make 1/2 the batter chocolate macaroons, add 1 tbsp cocoa powder. If you want to make all of the macaroons chocolate, use 2 tbsps.
Coconut Macaroons

Comments

1. Diana

August 10, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I don’t like to use processed foods like agave nectar so I tried just 6 tbsps of sugar and they came out great! It’s very surprising but after all coconut itself is very sweet. :) Thanks for the basic recipes

2. Marisa

February 8, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Hello. I would like to make these, but I need to know if they will hold up if shipped by mail. I have to and these to Florida and Colorado. Also, is it okay to use regular mail, or should I go to a mail shipping store?

Thank you for your speedy reply.

Sincerely,

Marisa DiFalco

3. Sherry W

December 20, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I usually substitute honey into recipes that call for agave. Do you think this would work in the macaroons?

4. aka

February 19, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I know you are always looking for Jewish foods….well macaroons are traditional for Passover treats, as Im sure you know, because they have no dairy. We’ve always used a different recipe for haystack macaroons, but Im going to give these a try to our upcoming seder!
    Thanks.

5. HS

July 6, 2010 at 10:56 am

Made me wonder and I found this article. Costco carries a big bag of organic cane sugar and this is what i’ve switched too.

6. Brenda

June 29, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Can you suggest a replacement for the agave? I was a big believer of it, until recent reports came out comparing it to high fructose corn syrup? Would Maple syrup work? Or honey? I know that agave does not have a strong flavor like maple or honey, so I am stumped.

7. Dalda Ka Dastarkhwan (Masala TV)

May 31, 2010 at 12:55 am

Samosa, is one of the famous food in India. Samosa is the delicious food for those who love potato. This food is commonly eaten in India and Pakistan. You can make it for Lunch and dinner both, plus you can make it ready quickly for tea time. Mostly this dish available with evening tea in India and Pakistan, but you can try it whenever you want. Hopefully you will like it. Following are the easy steps to bake it quickly

8. bilandra

December 23, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Hmmm, this recipe looks delicious. We are huge fans of coconut in this house.

Do you think this would turn out using egg replacer? Is there something you can use in lieu of egg white to make this vegan?

• Diana

August 12, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Yes it works with egg replacer, I tried it and they cam out great!

9. Jennie

December 22, 2009 at 5:16 pm

These are gorgeous! I can’t wait to try them out. I love macaroons.

10. wendy

December 22, 2009 at 1:48 am

I heard agave was just as unhealthy as high fructose corn syrup because of the way it is processed. check out Dr. mercola’s site.

what would you substitute in this recipe for agave? Honey, brown rice or maple syrup?