Pear and Apple Chips

Pear and Apple Chips

apple-pear-chips.jpg

We love eating fruit chips from the grocery, but they're really expensive and you get such a small amount in each bag that I was determined to find a better way to enjoy this awesome snack. I've been buying gorgeous pears and apples at the farmer's market lately, and I decided to try my hand at homemade fruit chips. While I cut away, Kenya had a blast laying them out on the baking sheets before we popped them in the oven. I had to make sure I sliced fast because for every piece Kenya laid out, at least two made their way into his mouth!

If I were you, I would pull out all your cookie sheets and layer them up with lots of fruit because when your family tastes these Pear and Apple Chips, they're going to go fast.

Pear and Apple Chips

• Cook Time: 1 hrs,

• 2 pears
  • 2 apples

1. 1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
  2. 2. Using a mandoline, thinly slice the apple and pears into “chips” ( I love my hand mandoline, but you can also cut them with a knife into thin slices if you don’t have one).
  3. 3. Place the slices on a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet making sure not to over lap the pieces.
  4. 4. Bake for 1 hour, turning the “chips” halfway through (if you live in a humid climate, they may take a bit longer).
  5. 5. Cool and serve.
  6. *You can place several cookie sheets in the oven at the same time if you want to make a large amount.
Pear and Apple Chips

Comments

1. esraa

October 27, 2014 at 4:21 am

Thank you for the great recipe! I’m just wondering what is the serving size for the mentioned nutrition facts?
    The temperature is in Celsius or Fahrenheit ?
    thanks again<3

• C. McCord

October 27, 2014 at 9:24 am

temp is Fahrenheit! The nutrition information is for the full batch of chips. :)

2. Leah

April 9, 2014 at 10:37 am

These are delicious!! However, I haven’t had any luck making them into ‘chips.’ I have baked them a few different ways. I first tried on parchment paper. I found, as many others did, that they were just soft and stuck to the paper. I tried cooking them on a cooling rack as suggested and they didn’t even get close to being crispy. In fact this was my least favorite method. I tried them on a pizza stone which is by the best results! They still did not get crispy, but they were closer and the taste is definitely there! My 16 month old LOVES them (as do myself and my husband!). Maybe it’s time to up the temp? I don’t think cooking them longer would help because they are already in there an hour plus! I would like to know suggestions on how to store them since they are not exactly chips- more like the “dried” apple pieces you can get at the store. Great recipe all in all though- healthy delicious snack!! Easy to make.

3. Mary

September 25, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I have tried a few batches of these now. Delicious! I have tried both on parchment and without. In my climate, northen alberta, non parchment works best and mid oven rack. I used my pizza stone to cook a batch which were the best ones so far but I am going to still try cooking on the cooling rack. Great suggestion. Cooking on the parchment for me just let them brown or stay soggy. Love them though. Keep up the great work!

4. Pingback: Toddler Food: Fruit and Vegetables | Chasing Teal

5. Jenny

April 25, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I tried to bake these, most burnt & some were not fully cooked @ 225 in under 2 hrs. I am a bit disappointed these didn’t work out for me. I even purchased a mandoline & parchment paper. I’m not giving up yet but I am unsure why some burnt while others weren’t close to being done and they were all about the same size.

• JB

November 11, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Jenny, it sounds like maybe your oven is uneven? Sometimes ovens and microwaves are hotter in some spots, and not hot enough in other spots.

6. Ruth

December 26, 2012 at 2:20 am

What do you think the shelf life of these are in a Ziploc?

December 26, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I wouldn’t put them in a ziploc bag because having them airtight can make them lose their crisp! I store them on the counter, loosely covered, for up to 5 days!

7. Linnea

September 28, 2012 at 10:01 am

Hi! I am a 16 year old that recently actually like the day before yesterday and I love your recipes and I love making chips but most of my apple slices went to thick so the never got crispy…. :( What is the best mandolin in your opinion that is not too expensive to slice carrots, apples and potatoes yum. I have made carrot chips using a cheese slicer but then I sliced my thumb so I would want a mandolin. Have a nice weekend! / Linnea from Sweden

8. christiane

September 20, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Question, i just tried to make apple chips and they just kind of shriveled up and were still pretty soft (had the same problem with carrot chips), should i be lowering my oven temperature?

Love your recipes by the way! Use them all the time for my home daycare

September 20, 2012 at 3:22 pm

What temp have you been using? You might actually need to raise the temperature. Also, get an oven thermometer to make sure your oven is at the temp you’re setting it to. For chips you need to cut them very thin. I highly suggest using a mandoline!

• christiane

September 21, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I set the temparture for 250 and yes i did use a mandolin. i certainly wouldn’t have been able to cut them thin enough by hand. so do you think i should try doing them at 275 or even 300?

Thanks for the quick response by the way!

9. Elva Roberts

May 23, 2012 at 2:50 pm

May 23-What a great idea to use apples and pears as a crispy and healthy snack. I have the silpad but haven’t used it so it will be put to good use as soon as I get some pears. Thanks for this tasty, healthy treat.-el03ro

10. Pingback: The Average Parent » Home-made Cinnamon Apple Jam w/ Printable Labels

11. Karen

July 19, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Yum! I tried this tonight with one apple after my daughter went to sleep. Let’s just say, there aren’t any left for her to taste tomorrow! Thanks for the great idea!

12. Matt Elltors

May 16, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Thank you a lot for providing individuals with an extremely spectacular opportunity to read critical reviews from this web site. It’s usually so brilliant and full of amusement for me personally and my office colleagues to visit your site at minimum 3 times in 7 days to learn the latest guidance you have. And indeed, I am usually amazed for the mind-blowing guidelines you serve. Some two ideas on this page are undeniably the finest I’ve had.

13. mkorth

April 17, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Fantastic…almost sliced my finger off as it was the first time I used a mandoline, but once I got the hang of it…very fun and delicous for the whole family!

14. Sarah

February 19, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Hi!
    I just tried making these, but mine crumbled apart…they were only in the oven for about 40 minutes. I think that I sliced them too thin. About how thin do you cut your slices using your mandolin?
    Thanks!

15. Laurin

September 27, 2010 at 8:57 am

I tried making these with my little sister and they stuck to the parchment paper, we used a mandoline slicer too. Maybe we cut them TOO thin??

September 27, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Its not the thinness that was the problem. What was your oven set at? I didn’t have any problems with using parchment – do you have a silpat?

16. Coupon Cook

September 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I live on the gulf coast. We are usually at about 90% or greater humidity year round. I tried these. A bit longer doesn’t begin to describe the 4 hours it took to get them sort of dry. I have some suggestions for high humidity areas. First skip the parchment and/or the silpat. Lay your slices on your cooling rack, and use it in place of the cookie sheet in your oven. It takes way less time if you can have the dry heat circulate all the way around the slices!

17. Pingback: Organic Apple Chips | Almost Crunchy

18. Jen

June 17, 2010 at 1:54 pm

My 20 month old helped make apple chips as well. I sprinkled them with Splenda and cinnamon before baking and they have turned out delicious! I didn’t have luck with the bananas, I couldn’t slice them lengthwise without them breaking up. I tried doing them in slices but they didn’t turn out well. Any suggestions? I don’t have a mandolin, but I may get one soon.

June 18, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Thats a bummer! Have you had a chance to watch the video on the banana leather? Were the bananas really soft? And how long did you leave them in the oven? Most oven are different, you may have had to leave them longer.

19. Dana

February 27, 2010 at 5:57 pm

This may sound silly, but how to you slice the friut with regards to the core? Do you just cut right through it and bake it all or somehow remove the core?

20. rachel wessel

February 24, 2010 at 7:37 am

what to do if there is no parchment paper handy?

May 4, 2010 at 3:52 pm

You can use a silpat or you can try foil.

21. Cristina Gia

February 22, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I made these yesterday after watching the video and my 1 and 3 year old loved them. I think I still managed to eat more than they did! They were delicious!

22. Mikki

February 22, 2010 at 10:29 am

Hi! Love this! Do you store yours (if there are any left) in a ziplock bag? Thank you.

May 4, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Yes I do!

23. Brianne

February 22, 2010 at 9:18 am

These sound great! I spent a large portion of yesterday making huge quantities of baked sweet potato and butternut squash chips for this week’s lunch boxes, so I’m in the chip mood. Have you tried adding cinnamon and nutmeg to them? I wonder if it would be better to do that before baking, or to sprinkle and toss while they’re warm from the oven?

• Kelsey

November 17, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Do you have a link to the recipe you used? I tried to make them and they’re soggy or burnt… no crispy :(

May 4, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Adding cinnamon and nutmeg is great idea! Just sprinkle some on top before you put it in the oven.

24. Soni

February 22, 2010 at 12:57 am

This is awesome! I’m doing this first thing in the morning and I think my 2 year old will be able to do most of it, which she will LOVE! Great (simple!) idea! (There are far too many exclamation points in this post, but that just proves how good it is!!!)