Ella's Kitchen - Weelicious

Ella's Kitchen

ellas.jpg

Yum

Between working and shuttling two kids to and from school, sports, music, gymnastics and more, I'm constantly on the move. Packing snacks to keep your kids well fed and nourished throughout the day is an art, but sometimes it can feel like an all day affair. I generally make most of my kids' snacks myself, but occasionally I have no choice but to pull something pre-packaged out of the cabinet. Still, no matter if it's homemade or store-bought, my criteria is the same: it must be nutritious, delicious, lightweight and travel well.

While I've never been a huge fan of feeding kids -- especially babies -- foods out of a jar, tube, can or box, occasionally I come across a product that impresses me enough to make an exception. Recently, a company called Ella's Kitchen sent me some packages of their crushed fruit and vegetable snacks and I was intrigued. Ella's Kitchen makes food for babies and kids that are made from pure fruits and vegetables and come in flavor pouches like Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin, Apples and Blueberry, Peaches and Banana and Strawberries and Apple. The company's philosophy is one after my own heart. The founder (Ella's dad) says he started the company because he believes that his daughter's generation "should have the opportunity to eat better food and also to discover that healthy food can be fun, tasty and cool." I sampled a bunch with my kids and was equally impressed with how fresh and flavorful the purees tasted. I loved the re-sealable, anti-choke screw tops and how light and convenient the packaging is. The fact that they're gluten, allergen, egg, dairy and wheat free is an added bonus.

Kenya's an easy sell when it comes to food in packaging where he can shake, squeeze and slurp away. Baby Chloe was a different story. I wasn't so sure she would be into these snacks because she's tried very few things other than what I've made for her. Still, she sucked down an entire pouch of peaches and bananas within minutes. I could chalk it up to her being starving, but if you saw first hand how much this child eats in general you'd know that's impossible.

When you don't have time to prepare your own snacks, but still want your kids to be able to eat their fruits and veggies, these healthy, easy to find treats are a great idea!

Comments

1. Kirsten

February 15, 2014 at 12:56 pm

I like baby food pouches for the convenience. Unfortunately this brand is the only one my baby has disliked with every flavor she’s tried :-/

2. marbel

May 31, 2013 at 8:40 am

This brand was recently under a bit of scrutiny for mis-labeling their nutrition information…(I believe they were making false claims pertaining to the amount of iron and some vitamins). As of December, I know this was brought to their attention and I believe it has been switched, although it was enough for me to pass them by and choose Plum Organics.

I know Ella’s had ZERO controversy surrounding the actual product, so it’s still a good choice (for what’s inside the pouch), but for me, I still choose Plum.

3. AP

July 3, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I noticed they have added citric acid as well. The stage 1 Plum Organics ones (mango kind anyways) only have the fruit and that is it.

4. Jennifer

June 28, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Love the convenience but they all have lemon juice and my little guy is sensitive to citrus.

5. Goa Escorts Agency

November 6, 2011 at 8:12 am

It’s really a nice and useful piece of information. I’m glad that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

6. Julie@The Adventures of Bear

June 15, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I like to keep these in the car for when the kids are hungry and I want to give them something besides crackers. (My kids are 4 and 2) We call it juice. My 2 yr old refuses any vegetable so I am the queen of sneaking them into everything – tonight I made pizza dough from scratch and added black bean, sweet potato, carrot and broccoli puree to the dough. It sounds horrible I know, but everyone loved it, including my husband. I love your site for inspiration.

7. Susan

October 14, 2010 at 10:06 am

This brand is awesome and Babies R Us carries them as well. It was a lifesaver last week when we flew with our 8 month old for the first time and I needed to bring babyfood that wasn’t homemade and didn’t need to be refrigerated. He LOVED it-we got the carrot parsnip one and the broccoli pear.

8. Heather

September 21, 2010 at 7:55 pm

These are so great! I got them at trader joes to tide my son over until we got home and made dinner, he loved them and there really is nothing but citric acid added to them! We got the apple and carrot plus the plain apple ones! Yummy and don’t need to be cold to eat! So I like them too!