Recently, Hyundai and Good Bite asked me to participate in David Lawrence's “Appetite For Adventure”, which challenged 8 food bloggers to come up with recipes using unusual ingredients. I have to admit that I was quite shocked when the ingredient they presented me with was daikon radish. I see these large east Asian radishes all the time at our local farmer’s market, but I've never bought one before. What a mistake! They have a great flavor and texture and you can do a lot with them. I got 2 huge ones the other day for just $1 and made several different recipes with them. My favorite is this Daikon Radish Slaw that I used as one component of the Summer Roll recipe I made for “Appetite for Adventure”.
Not only is this dish perfect for a spring or summertime party when you're feeding a crowd, but the kids I offered it to at our house the other day loved the beautiful colors and tasty dressing! Hopefully I lived up to the cooking challenge, but either way I think you’ll find this dish to be a total crowd pleaser.
Daikon Radish Slaw (Makes 6 Servings)
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Fresh Ginger, grated
- 1 Tsp sesame oil
- 1 Daikon Radish, peeled and grated (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 Red Cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Cup Carrots, grated
- 1 Medium Yellow, Red or Orange Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 Scallion, diced (use the entire scallion, white and green)
Preparation1. Place the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine.
2. Place the grated radish in several layers of paper towel and squeeze out excess water.
3. Place all of the vegetables in a large bowl and toss together.
4. Pour the vinaigrette into the bowl and toss to coat.