Kiddie Cocktail - Weelicious

Kiddie Cocktail

When I was pregnant with Kenya, I had 2 cravings: vegetable stir fry for breakfast (weird, I know) and sparkling water. Not once in my life had I ever desired a sip of fizzy water and there I was, for nine months straight, chugging gallons of it morning, noon and night. Throw in the juice of one lime and you have no idea how happy a 16 oz. glass of sparkling water could make a human being. I felt as if I was enjoying the most delicious cocktail known to man. I became so addicted to it that after two pregnancies, it's still my daily drink of choice.

We're not big fans of juice or soda in our house, but I still want the kids to have fun, tasty and hydrating drinks that are also good for them. Kenya loves watching me make my lime "soda" and recently got in on the act by creating his own version because he thinks mine is "a little too sour". It's delicious. With just a squeeze of juice and a bit of agave or honey, you too can turn ho-hum water into a cocktail any kid would love!

Kiddie Cocktail  (Makes 2 Servings)

• 1 tablespoon lime juice (about the juice of 1 small lime)
  • 2 teaspoons agave nectar or honey
  • 2 cups cold soda water, selzer water or sparkling water
  • ice

1. 1. Pour the first 3 ingredients into a pitcher and stir until honey or agave nectar dissolves.
  2. 2. Pour in two glasses with ice.
  3. 3. Serve
  4. **Tip: if you drink a lot of sparkling water in your house, I recommend getting your own sparkling water maker. I can’t abide buying bottled water anymore. It costs too much and I think is a waste of plastic. If you invest in a sparkling water maker it pays itself off pretty quickly and your cost per bottle is literally pennies. Plus, there are few jobs in the kitchen more fun for kids than getting to pump one of these. I got mine at www.sodaclub.com
Kiddie Cocktail

Comments

1. sarah

July 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm

love this so much

2. Abigail

April 28, 2011 at 11:23 pm

This looks like an amazing cocktail that you can play with, can’t wait to add my own twist to it.

3. shauna

December 23, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Besides limes, what other fruits would be good to use in the recipe. I saw the posting about raspberries and kumquats.

4. Eliana Caron

December 10, 2010 at 9:51 am

thanks, thats some great ideas! my kids personal favourite right now is burger craft and bread.. difficult to explain, but I found a load of great ideas at this recipe for kids site, check it out! my little ones love it, anyway!

5. Lori

June 15, 2010 at 12:10 am

We have made this several times now. Once with lime, once we squished some raspberries up and used the juice , and once with kumquat juice. Every time so good!

6. Mrs. Price

June 7, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Thank you for this idea. I just use limes in regular water. I just found out I am pregnant and this stuff is amazing!!!!!

7. Amy

June 2, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I love this idea. I am using your website to try to get my kids to eat healthier. Thanks for all the recipes.

8. Kelly

June 1, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Thank you so much for introducing me to Agave ! I use it where ever I would normally use sugar. The whole family loves it when I make Agave Lemonade, can’t wait to try the limeade. Keep the Agave recipes coming!!

9. Mina

June 1, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Nevermind, just read your Tip, thank you!!!

10. Mina

June 1, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Love sparkling water as well and was wondering if you actually purchase bottles of it or do you make your own. A friend of mine bought a SodaStream Penguin Water Carbonator from W&S and she said it was the best $200 some dollars she’s ever spent. I was looking into purchasing one, but W&S no longer sells them.