French Toast Sticks

French Toast Sticks

French Toast Sticks from Weelicious

Last week I made French toast, served it to the kids alongside little dishes for dipping -- maple syrup for Kenya, honey for Chloe -- and before I could turn to cut up some fruit, Chloe said, “I wish these were French Toast Sticks”. I get it. There's something a bit more fun about these little sticks. Aside from being cute, they're easy for kids to hold and dip. Since the day I first made this recipe it’s been a regular request from both of my kids before bedtime for me to make the next morning.

I'm truly grateful when my kids remind me of their favorites, like these, which are a delicious choice to re-share with you on Rewind Wednesday if I do say so myself!

French Toast Sticks from Weelicious

One of our missions at weelicious is to offer recipes the entire family can enjoy together. A few simple alterations to most any dish suited for mommy and daddy, can make it totally attractive to kids. Take these French Toast Sticks, for example. It's not that I couldn't just hand Chloe, my 15 month old, an entire piece of french toast and have her eat it -- she's actually such an adventurous eater right now, she'll hoover just about anything -- but tailoring a breakfast food my husband and I normally eat with a knife and fork so it's in a fun and appealing kid friendly shape, allows everyone in our family to enjoy the same meal in our own way.

These little french toast "fingers" are not only delicious, they're also the perfect size for little hands to hold. Kenya loves dipping them into raspberr-wee sauce, Chloe loves that she can have some independence eating by herself without us cutting her food into little pieces first and I love that you get triple the crusty edges (my favorite part) for each piece of cooked toast since you cut each piece of bread into three sticks . There's truly nothing better then a recipe that fulfills everyone's needs!

French Toast Sticks  (Makes 15 Sticks)

• 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup whole milk , rice or almond
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • pinch of salt
  • 5 slices of bread, trim edges and cut into 1 inch sticks
  • 1 tablespoon butter

1. 1. In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon, honey and salt until combined.
  2. 2. Dip each bread stick in the egg mixture until each side is coated with the mixture.
  3. 3. Heat a saute pan or griddle over medium heat with 1 tbsp of butter and cook for 3 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through.
  4. 4. Serve with honey, maple syrup, or raspberr-wee sauce.
French Toast Sticks

Comments

1. ashley

October 22, 2014 at 11:01 am

Is there a certain bread that others use that makes it taste better???

• C. McCord

October 22, 2014 at 1:52 pm

I like to use crusty bread like a French baguette or Italian loaf!

2. Pingback: Recipe: Buttered French Toast (The Easy Way) | Little Pockets Full

3. Pingback: MORE Quick and Easy Recipes for the Picky Eater | Columbia SC Moms Blog

4. Boubacar N

July 7, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Made these today and froze them until tomorrow morn’ so they’ll be ready. Simply DELICIOUS

5. Kb Johnson

May 17, 2014 at 9:01 am

Used some blueberry swirl bread with your recipe and it was delicious! Think my lil nugget (5 months prego) loved them (:

6. Robin Thomas

March 1, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Good day there,
    I just googled these recipes for my two year old and I bet she’s gonna love these when I make them later!
    Thanks for the great recipe and I definitely want to join the mailing list for more of these.
    All the best!
    Rob

7. Becky

January 18, 2014 at 9:50 am

Delicious. Made them this morning! Thanks. Lazy BBQ chicken is on the menu this week too!

8. Pingback: French Toast Sticks | cindyleechan

9. Danielle

January 15, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I love French toast and would love to make it for my 3 year old son. Any suggestions on how to replace the egg, as he’s allergic to them? I have tried using bananas in the past, but the result was was too mushy.

• lej

October 22, 2014 at 1:54 pm

I hope you don’t mind me sharing my ideas with you…I used to make french toast stick with the store bought cinnamon raisin bread dipped in egg substitute or egg whites and they turned out great. I had to stop buying the cinnamon raisin bread because I found out my daughter has a soy allergy which is in a lot of store brand breads. One day I ran out of eggs and just dipped the bread slices in pancake mix, added some vanilla extract and turned out super yummy and freezes very well. I added cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg too!

10. Linda

October 7, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I made these this morning for my 19 month old girl and they were very well-received :) I used to make french toast and served an entire piece to her and she struggled to finish it. Now I see what you mean about making a few simple alterations to make the food kid-friendly as I actually see the result! Thank you for the recipe and idea!

11. Suzana

June 12, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Delicious!

12. Courtney

March 14, 2013 at 3:58 pm

What kind of bread do you use? It looks super thick?

March 15, 2013 at 10:40 am

You can use any type of bread you prefer! Sandwich bread, french bread, sourdough bread. Anything works really.

13. Brenda

October 22, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I noticed a Shopping List category on the iPhone app but didn’t notice on a recipe where it said ” add to shopping list”
    So what exactly is that spot for ? Am I over looking something?
    Thanks

October 23, 2012 at 11:26 am

Currently there are two different shopping list things. We have the shopping list on the iPhone app which is a basic shopping list that I have created for everyone to use. It includes all the things that should always be stocked in your kitchen and pantry!

We are also setting up ZipList, so if you see down below the recipe it says, “add to ZipList”. Click on that and it’ll add the recipe to your ZipList shopping list!

14. Elizabeth R

September 25, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Yum! Can’t wait to make these! Thanks for all the extra tips! I love your site! It motivated me to try some new recipes for my kids – thanks!

15. Gary

August 8, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Made it last night for snack time and was asked to make it again for Breakfast this morning! Kids loved it.

Thank you for another wee-licious recipe.

16. catherine

June 18, 2012 at 10:04 am

Wonderful! Thank you!

17. Barbara

June 17, 2012 at 5:18 pm

My children loved these! I could not make them fast enough. Thank you. I have 4 picky eaters. It is a keeper. I can’t wait to try all of your other recipes.

18. Tiffanye

May 9, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I was given honey when I was under 18 months, and we are pretty sure why ended up getting severe arthritis. I waited until my kids were 21 months. Just my personal opinion.

19. lani

March 1, 2012 at 11:17 am

for french toast sticks recipe, any other alternative(s) for cinnamon and honey?

March 1, 2012 at 12:13 pm

You could use Agave or Sugar in place of the Honey. If you still want a sweet spice flavor, but don’t want to use cinnamon you could try nutmeg instead. Cloves would be yummy, too, but they’re a bit more powerful so use less.

20. How to say I Love You In Spanish

January 2, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I used to be recommended this website through my cousin. I am not positive whether or not this submit is written through him as no one else understand such particular about my problem. You’re incredible! Thanks!

21. Pingback: led flashlight hid flashlight

22. Pingback: Article Mania

23. Lauren

August 2, 2011 at 11:59 am

I freeze these whole and pop in the toaster for a quick breakfast! I cut into sticks after toasting–not quite as good as freshly made but still yummy and better than store bought!

24. Norma

June 29, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I made these today for the kids and they loved them. My son asked for more!

25. angela

June 2, 2011 at 10:43 am

Just made these with an almost-week-old loaf of homemade honey/whole wheat bread. It made my near-stale bread divine! Ahhhh … one more reason to bake regularly. Especially since our 2-year-old gobbled them up!

26. Julie

April 15, 2011 at 7:53 am

If you freeze these, how do you heat up the defrosted ones? I’m afraid the microwave will make them soggy.

• Kelsey

June 29, 2011 at 11:17 am

I’d suggest a toaster oven if you have one, or regular oven. :)

27. Lindsey

April 6, 2011 at 11:54 am

I’ve made a recipe very similar to this multiple times but I bake them all on a cookie sheet at once instead of using a skillet on the stove top. Soooo much easier!! 350 for 25 min. and turn them once half way through.

• christy

June 29, 2011 at 11:46 pm

thank you!!! no idea you could bake them! my son can only have baked egg. I’ll be making these tomorrow:)

28. Julie

April 5, 2011 at 7:57 am

Catherine, I made these last night for “breakfast for dinner” with vanilla soy milk and whole wheat bread, served with scrambled eggs and fruit. Super quick and delicious dinner. Thanks for another great idea!

29. Angela

March 20, 2011 at 10:23 am

What a great recipe! How important is it to use whole milk? My toddler doesn’t drink it anymore and we don’t buy it. Thanks! :)

March 21, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Whole milk is natural source of calcium which is important for your toddlers bones, I still give my kids whole milk and when I don’t, i give them rice milk :)

30. Jill

March 16, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I love these and I also rolled them in ground flax and sprinkled wheat germ on top for some added crunch! Thanks again for such a great resource – you are truly changing many people’s lives a “wee bit” at a time:)

31. Kristi Rimkus

January 17, 2011 at 1:23 pm

This is a must make for my nephew the next time he visits!

32. Mina

December 13, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Hi Catherine, thank you for another great recipe. I noticed you said to use a sauté or griddle pan. I don’t own any non-stick pans in my house, due to the carcinogens in the coating. Is there a line of non-stick pans you recommend and have researched, which are not harmful? Thank you!

33. Cassie

October 28, 2010 at 11:11 am

My 2 year old son is the pickiest eater ever; the only foods he’ll eat are bread and cheese. It’s so frustrating! So today after he refused scrambled eggs for breakfast, I made the French Toast Sticks and added a touch of powdered sugar on top to entice him….He loved it! Gobbled up 8 sticks in record time! Thank you! :)

34. Sarah

September 4, 2010 at 3:38 pm

* Oh and I forgot to mention I used agave nectar instead of Honey b/c that’s all I had… amazing!

• Wojtek

February 5, 2014 at 10:16 pm

High Quality long term positions are taken in Fixed Income Securities that can be added to when priecs move lower and sold for profit when they move higher.

35. Sarah

September 4, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Made these this morning, and they were AWESOME!!

36. Julie

August 18, 2010 at 7:48 am

Just curious if there is a reason that soy milk is not listed as an alernative to cow’s/rice/almond — does soy milk not work well with this recipe? I’m dying to try it, my kids would love this, but we only use soy milk due to allergies.

• Shirley

February 5, 2014 at 4:52 am

It’s a pleasure to find such ratiinaloty in an answer. Welcome to the debate.

August 18, 2010 at 5:03 pm

No reason at all, the milk listed is what we have normally in the house. You can use soy milk :)

37. Cami

August 10, 2010 at 7:39 am

I made these using Texas Toast instead of regular bread. My kids thought they were delicious. I would suggest adding a little more milk because I ran out with a few more sticks to go.

38. Pingback: Foodie Friday « Barefoot conTerra

39. Bernadete

July 23, 2010 at 10:15 am

Thanks for yet another great recipe! I love the fact that you can make these ahead and freeze them.

40. Jojo

July 19, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Made these AND pizza rolls on Saturday – yummmm! My daughter ate both like there was no tomorrow!

41. Valerie

July 18, 2010 at 11:17 am

Made these this morning and your rasberr-wee sauce. So delicious, my little one was sucking the sauce off the French toast. We had to ignore her to get her to eat the french toast, which is common, but daddy and I loved it too. Thanks for the great recipes that work for everyone!

42. Blanca

July 16, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Made these this morning, yummy!!

43. Rose

July 16, 2010 at 12:20 pm

My 12 1/2 month old twins enjoyed them too. I was trying to think of things to do with the edges of the bread. Anyone have any ideas. I’m going to make whole wheat bread crumbs for future use.

July 16, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I saved the edges to make croutons! :)

• Prakash

February 4, 2014 at 3:52 am

Heya i am for the primary time here. I came acosrs this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I’m hoping to provide one thing back and help others such as you helped me.

44. Jen

July 15, 2010 at 8:38 am

I’ve noticed a couple of Weelicious recipes, like this one, that include honey. My daughter is 15 months old and I would love to make these for her. However, I remember reading somewhere that babies under a certain age shouldn’t eat honey. Do you know what age that is?

• Aubrey

September 28, 2012 at 11:32 am

just replace it with Agave!

• Cassie

July 15, 2010 at 10:13 am

I seem to remember that it was 1 and under. I waited with my little one until she was almost 18 months before I gave her honey just to be on the safe side.

• Marta

February 4, 2014 at 3:07 am

Hiya! Quick question that’s collpetemy off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when viewing from my iphone 4. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to fix this issue. If you have any suggestions, please share. With thanks!

• Suzanne

July 16, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Children under one shouldn’t have honey (or other syrups) because of the risk of botulism spores. One is a pretty generous guideline, I looked it up and the oldest reported age of a child with botulism from honey was 8 months.

• Susan

June 8, 2011 at 1:45 pm

They shouldn’t have raw honey until 1 year old, but if it’s cooked like in this recipe, it’s ok. The heat kills the bacteria that could possibly be in the honey. This is what my doctor told us at our 6 month well baby visit.

• Samantha

February 28, 2012 at 7:27 am

that’s not what i’ve heard… my understanding is that cooking actually DOES NOT kill the spores, so to be on the safe side, i have kept my son away from all honey for his first year.

• Sarah

June 8, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Prevention of botulism….

Although the botulinum toxin is destroyed by thorough cooking over the course of a few minutes, the spore itself is not killed by the temperatures reached with normal sea-level-pressure boiling, leaving it free to grow and again produce the toxin when conditions are right.[citation needed]

A recommended prevention measure for infant botulism is to avoid feeding honey to infants less than 12 months of age.[2]

45. Leigh

July 15, 2010 at 4:59 am

WOW! Great recipe! My kids ate every last bite. SO yummy!

46. Lisa

July 15, 2010 at 3:51 am

We just made these and they were yummy!!

47. Andy

July 14, 2010 at 11:29 pm

This recipe looks brilliant and easy to make. I think I have all the ingredients at my home today. I will surely try it tonight!!!

48. Mary

July 14, 2010 at 8:53 pm

What kind of bread do you normally eat?

July 15, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Whole wheat and spelt tortillas! they are so yum!

49. jess

July 14, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Try it with whole wheat cinnamon bread…

50. Jenn

July 14, 2010 at 10:30 am

any luck with making these ahead and freezing them? Just trying to get weekday recipes that I can freeze =)
    Thanks!

July 14, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Yes they are perfect for freezing!

• Jennifer

July 14, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Do you freeze before or after cooking?

July 15, 2010 at 3:03 pm