Cream Cheese & Tomato Sammie

v
The heirloom tomatoes at our farmer’s market are so insanely delicious right now, it brings me close to tears when I take a bite of one. And there are so many different varieties to choose from like Big Rainbow, Green Zebra and Mortgage Lifter. Kenya's favorite are the dark reddish Cherokee Purple variety because of their sweet taste. I think any time kids can put a fun name on a food, they instantly respond more positively than they normally would (and they're much more likely to eat it). Hence, Kenya's love of Dinosaur Kale.

Our family could just sit around and eat slice after slice of these tomatoes totally unadorned (and we do), but for Kenya's school lunch, I add just a smear of cream cheese and two slices of bread to make this simple Cream Cheese and Tomato Sammie something so special it doesn’t even need a funny name for Kenya to gobble it up!

Cream Cheese & Tomato Sammie  (Makes 2 Sammies)

• 1/4 cup cream cheese, divided
  • 1 heirloom tomato, cut into 6 slices
  • 4 slices whole wheat bread

1. 1. Toast your whole wheat bread slices.
  2. 2. Layer one slice of the toasted bread with half of the cream cheese and top with 3 slices of tomatoes.
  3. 3. Cover with another slice of bread and make the second sammie.
  4. 4. Slice each sammie in half and serve.
Cream Cheese & Tomato Sammie

Comments

1. tami32

July 14, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Great idea! My toddler just gobbled it up!

2. Joyce Lewis

May 25, 2013 at 12:29 pm

So simple and so delicious! My boys loved it. I added a little dried basil and cut them into penguin shapes and they were gone in seconds….a moms dream ;). Thank you for the fabulous and nutritious meals.

3. Sara

January 3, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I just had one of these and it was wonderful, I added some smoked mozzerella to it but think that it would be great without it as well. I was very afraid to try it because of the cream cheese but it blended great with the tomato.

4. Isis Glasscock

September 29, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Very nice post! I really like visiting your blog for the reason that you often write excellent articles. I enjoyed it once again. I plan to adding to favorites this website. I am going to subscribe to this feed also. Thanks! ….

5. Becca

August 18, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Thanks for the great idea. I made one for lunch and it tasted great!

6. domestic coffee machines

August 5, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Image is missing?

August 9, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Really? I can see it, did you try refreshing the page?

7. Mrs. Price

July 17, 2010 at 2:44 pm

This was wonderful!!!!! DS tried it, but he is not a big tomato fan.

8. Stephanie G.

July 16, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Catherine:

So simple, yet such a great idea and looks so delicious. Can I ask the type of bread you use? So you make it yourself or buy it? If store bought, would you mind sharing the brand? I have been buying Dutch Country Wheat and was really upset to see it had high fructose! MOst of them seem to have it!

July 19, 2010 at 3:39 pm

We buy whole wheat bread from the Farmers Market but I also buy Food for Life Ezekial 4:9 Whole Wheat Bread http://www.foodforlife.com/

• Stephanie G.

July 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Thanks Catherine! I will look for that bread at Whole Foods. I appreciate your response.

9. Laura

July 15, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Too funny that I was eating a cream cheese, tomato and cucumber sandwich when I opened this post. This is my favorite summer time sandwich.

10. Holly N.

July 15, 2010 at 10:21 am

Sounds yummy for mommy too! My father-in-law grows a ton of tomato plants (we call it his orchard) and I look forward to them every summer. They are sooo good and something I enjoy every day! Thanks for reminding me to keep it simple.