PB&J Yogurt Swirl

It's Day Two for weelicious' new, out-of-the-box and exciting PB&J school lunch recipes. Yesterday's recipe was PB&J Pancake Sandwiches, something I think your little ones are going to love. But it got me to thinking: do you really need bread to make PB&J? That led me to the idea of mixing it with yogurt.

Plain yogurt is packed with calcium, protein and is easier to digest than milk, but it can also be just that to kids: plain. In order to get most kids to eat yogurt, you have to entice them with those flavored yogurts that are sold at the grocery. But many of those are packed with sugar and preservatives. So I thought it would be fun to see how healthy plain yogurt tasted with a swirl of low sugar preserves and nutritious peanut butter mixed in. I'm happy to report that not only is it mind-blowingly delicious, it's beautiful to look at too!

PB&J Yogurt Swirl  (Serves 4)

• 2 cups plain yogurt (i like using greek yogurt)
  • 1/4 cup jelly, jam or preserves
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter (i use natural peanut butter)

1. 1. Divide the yogurt between 4 bowls.
  2. 2. In a saucepan heat the jelly or preserves over low heat for one minute or until liquefied (this can also be done in the microwave for 30 seconds) and allow to cool.
  3. 3. Drizzle the jelly and peanut butter equally between the bowls of yogurt and swirl the contents together.
  5. * If using store bought peanut butter such as Jif or Skippy, melt in the microwave for about 15 seconds to soften. I use organic peanut butter which tends to already be a bit more liquified then most name brands.
PB&J Yogurt Swirl

Comments

1. Pingback: Fun Food Saturday: Crazy PB & J - Jolly Tomato

2. Theresa787

March 19, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Thank you Catherine. My son loves peanut butter- he’d eat it by the bowl-ful if we let him!

3. Stacey

September 14, 2010 at 10:47 am

I was wondering about this for lunch boxes. I usually serve my girls plain yogurt with a bit of honey added for sweetness, but I noticed that when I tried premixing it and putting it in their Laptop Lunchbox it seemed to get watery by lunchtime…not sure what the honey/yogurt reaction is, but I had the same problem in my lunches. So, I have started packing the yogurt separately from the honey and have them add it at the table. Kind of messy, but makes a more enjoyable lunch. This looks good, but when you pre-mix and then send for lunch, what is the texture like by lunchtime?

September 14, 2010 at 1:06 pm

The same happens to me. The reason being is that yogurt contains a lot of liquid and at room temperature it releases the liquid out. This is not a problem, you just have to stir it back up together and its as good as new :)

4. Kathleen

September 2, 2010 at 6:42 pm

These all seem so yummy..I love pb&j and I may be weird..but pb&j on ritz crackers as a sandwich are so good….YUM…especially with milk…check out my fan page and follow my blog….I love this site…all new eating ideas…my kids are getting bored….Kat

5. Amy

September 1, 2010 at 11:42 am

Oh man… we tried this and it’s absolutely addicting. Seriously. It’s like yogurty, creamy, yumminess. Mmmm…

6. Jennifer

August 29, 2010 at 11:02 am

I used soy yogurt with soy butter and jam. Then drizzled in some honey too. My daughter loved it!

7. Amanda

August 29, 2010 at 9:38 am

I have been making this with a sprinkle of oats (oatmeal) and raisens – so glad to see others like this (my college roommates used to think I was crazy to eat it – ha). I can’t wait until my daughter is old enough to eat PB and has more teeth so she can try some of your delicous ideas!

8. Sarah

August 27, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I made this for my nearly 17-month old tonight with almond butter instead of peanut and he loved it! I tried a bite and thought it was pretty delicious too. I especially liked that it didn’t thin out the Greek yogurt like my fruit purees sometimes do, so it was easy for my little guy to eat on his own as it actually stuck to the spoon. Thanks for yet another great idea! :)

9. Shannon

August 25, 2010 at 3:45 pm

While I agree that all these peanut butter treats looks fun and delicious, I REALLY wish moms would rethink sending their kids to school with peanut products. I am the mom of a daughter with life-threatening peanut allergies and would BEG that you use peanut free alternatives for SCHOOL lunches and snacks.

August 25, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Kenya’s school is nut-free and I send him to school with sunflower butter all the time, you can put sunflower butter in this recipe and its great!

10. Mary

August 24, 2010 at 7:51 pm

i love your idea’s – but I am wondering if you have tried any of these with a substitute nut butter – like Sunflower Seed Butter – my daughter is at a nut free school. So I will be trying you’re recipes but not with PB

August 25, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Yes i send him to school with sunflower butter in this recipe :)

11. Amanda Reed

August 24, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I bet this would be good scooped up with celery sticks.

12. Mandie

August 24, 2010 at 10:55 am

Oh wow, this is great! My daughter would LOVE it!

13. Colette

August 24, 2010 at 9:57 am

Made it for my son and he loved it! Even though I used apricot jam in stead of the strawberry which you seemed to have used.
    I lost the swirl effect though – was just a light brown.

Wanted to ask if you think that this would freeze well – like your Yogurt, Cinnamon & Honey “Ice Cream”?

• Elizabeth

September 6, 2010 at 11:59 am

Hey, I made this as popsicles, and my 18 mos. son and I loved them. The swirl was great, every so often you get a bunch of jelly or peanut butter. I would recommend this for sure!

August 24, 2010 at 1:58 pm

hmm, sounds interesting! I’m sure it would work, if you try it let me know!

14. Holly N.

August 24, 2010 at 8:38 am

What would you send with this for lunch? It sounds yummy and looks amazing!

August 24, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I would put in some fresh fruit, vegetables and maybe a cheese quesadilla or even some chicken and rice – this recipe is more of a treat :)