PB&J Pinwheels

PB&J Pinwheels

Yum

It's amazing how positively kids react when you do something as simple as changing the shape of one of their favorite foods. There's obviously nothing that needs improving when it comes to a delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwich, BUT try mixing a bit of cream cheese into the jam, spreading it onto a flat piece of lavash, rolling it into a cylinder and then cutting it into wheels, and it becomes a totally new take on a lunchtime classic that's even more fun to look at and eat!

PB&J Pinwheels  (Serves 4)

• 1/4 cup regular or whipped cream cheese
  • 2 tablespoons jam, jelly or preserves
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter, divided
  • lavash, preferably whole wheat (can be found in the bread section at your grocery)

1. 1. Place the cream cheese and jam in a bowl and combine until smooth.
  2. 2. Spread 1/2 of the peanut butter on a piece of lavash and top with 1/2 of the cream cheese/jam mixture.
  3. 3. Roll the lavash lengthwise into a roll and slice into bite-size wheels, about 1 inch each.
  4. 4. Continue to make the second pinwheel sandwich and slice.
PB&J Pinwheels

Comments

1. Angela

October 17, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I have a 14 month old son (born Aug 2011). Is he too young to try this? I haven’t tried serving him peanut butter yet (choking worry rather than allergy).

Love your site!! Following you on Instagram (love the kid lunches you post) and made your ham and asaparagus quiche a couple nights ago with white asaparagus, it was a hit with my son, husband, me, and Grandma!

October 18, 2012 at 11:40 am

I would try a little peanut butter on a spoon first and supervise closely to watch for choking! Or try mixing it with yogurt or just the jelly and serve like that to see how it goes down!

2. Marilda

August 7, 2012 at 8:02 am

do you know a website where we can buy those lunch boxes on the video? it’s super handy! Thank you and great recipe!

3. L'Erin

July 9, 2012 at 1:10 pm

What else can you mix with the jelly/jam instead of cream cheese. we don’t do dairy

July 9, 2012 at 2:43 pm

The cream cheese adds even more creaminess and flavor, but you can leave it out if you’d like! I haven’t tried it, but I have heard that heavy coconut cream makes a good vegan cream cheese substitute!

4. Crysta

August 23, 2011 at 9:01 am

My 2 yr old calls this her sushi! Yet again thanks for another fantastic idea

5. Olga

June 13, 2011 at 9:12 am

These are great and I tried to make a version of this for my kids (3 and 4), but their compliant was that the “sticky stuff” leaks out and gets all over their fingers. I tried to vary the amount of preserves, but no luck. Any suggestions for how to make them less leaky? Thanks!

June 14, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Just put less filling or make them bigger :)

6. Deb

August 29, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Catherine,

I love all the PB&J recipes, but my kids go to a peanut and tree-nut free school. What do you recommend for easy lunches?

• Courtney

June 13, 2011 at 11:43 am

My girls like just cream cheese and jelly sandwiches too so maybe you could leave out the peanut butter.

August 30, 2010 at 1:38 pm

You can use sunflower butter instead of Peanut :)

7. Karen

August 27, 2010 at 11:48 am

If I can’t find lavash, can I use a tortilla bread instead?

August 30, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Yes you can :)

8. Anne

August 27, 2010 at 10:03 am

This would be a great way to make PB & banana wraps too….easy to roll!