It's amazing how positively kids react when you do something as simple as changing the shape of one of their favorite foods. There's obviously nothing that needs improving when it comes to a delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwich, BUT try mixing a bit of cream cheese into the jam, spreading it onto a flat piece of lavash, rolling it into a cylinder and then cutting it into wheels, and it becomes a totally new take on a lunchtime classic that's even more fun to look at and eat!
PB&J Pinwheels (Serves 4)
- 1/4 Cup Regular or Whipped Cream Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Jam, Jelly or <a href=\"http://b12.ba4.myftpupload.com/2009/06/02/strawberry-preserves/\">Preserves</a>
- 1/3 Cup Peanut Butter, divided
- Lavash, preferably whole wheat (can be found in the bread section at your grocery)
Preparation1. Place the cream cheese and jam in a bowl and combine until smooth.
2. Spread 1/2 of the peanut butter on a piece of lavash and top with 1/2 of the cream cheese/jam mixture.
3. Roll the lavash lengthwise into a roll and slice into bite-size wheels, about 1 inch each.
4. Continue to make the second pinwheel sandwich and slice.