31 32041

Cheddar Cauliflower

I always find it amazing how much the childhood memories of the food I ate growing up influences the way I cook now as an adult. When I was a kid, my mother would take an entire head of cauliflower, bake it, cover it with tons of grated cheddar cheese and then put it back into the oven to continue baking until it looked like a great big orange basketball. I loved the taste, but felt if I recreated it, it may look a bit overwhelming to a little kid. I think smaller pieces of roasted cauliflower with just a light sprinkling of melted cheddar has more eye appeal for little ones.

The day that I tested my version of this, I also happened to be trying out several other recipes -- one being a dessert. It becomes more and more apparent to me each day that Kenya and I have similar culinary tastes, because he bypassed all the other dishes for the Cheddar Cauliflower. The best part was that he ate a third of what I made. I don't know if it was the cheese he loved so much or the great flavor from the cauliflower, but when I get results like that, I try not to ask too many questions and just be happy he thinks it's delicious!

For more delicious cauliflower recipes, check out the links below!

Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Roasted Cauliflower and Bulgur Salad
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Roasted Garlic Cauliflower and Potatoes
Feed Me Phoebe: Pan-Roasted Cauliflower
Devour: Cauliflower and Broccoli Mac and Cheese for Thanksgiving
Blue Apron Blog: Cauliflower "Mac 'n Cheese"
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli with Cranberries and Garlic Breadcrumbs
Red or Green: Cauliflower, Leek and Pepper Frittata
Virtually Homemade: Roasted Cauliflower with Bacon and Parmesan Cheese
Taste With The Eyes: Saffron Cauliflower à la Ottolenghi
Domesticate Me: Cauliflower Crust Pizza with Roasted Vegetables and Goat Cheese
The Sensitive Epicure: Cauliflower Flat Bread (Gluten-Free)
Weelicious: Cheddar Cauliflower
Cooking With Elise: Roasted Cauliflower with Cheese Fondue
FN Dish: Comforting Cauliflower Recipes

Cheddar Cauliflower  (Serves 4)

• 1 head cauliflower

• 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil or olive oil spray to coat

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. 2. Cut the cauliflower into florets, place onto a baking sheet, sprinkle with olive oil (or coat with olive oil spray), salt and toss to coat.
  3. 3. Roast the cauliflower for 30 minutes.
  4. 4. Remove the cauliflower from the oven, stir, sprinkle with cheese and roast another 3-4 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Cheddar Cauliflower

Comments

1. Pingback: Simple Roasted Garlic Cauliflower and Potatoes Recipe - Jeanette's Healthy Living

2. Pingback: Cooking with: Cauliflower | Blue Apron Blog

3. Pingback: Food52's Pan Roasted Cauliflower - Cavolfiore Palma a la Leah

4. Erika E.

October 4, 2011 at 10:17 am

Will this work with frozen cauliflowers?

5. Coralee

May 30, 2011 at 6:03 pm

This is so yummy, I can’t stop eating it. My new favourite way to make cauliflower.

6. Arelis

May 23, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Just made this with broccoli since my store didn’t have cauliflower today. My “non-veggie” eating 2 year old ate the whole head of broccoli and asked for more!! Thanks weelicious for inspiring me to keep trying!

7. Kat Haberlack

March 18, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Second time making this. I added a clove and a half of garlic. Delish!!

8. Carmen Vierling

January 20, 2011 at 12:47 am

Youngsters enjoys preparing food, I have a short while ago decided to buy a cooking kit for little ones and I see that they really like it and take pleasure in helping me.

9. Anita

October 22, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Only have colby-jack cheese in the fridge.. hoping it will still be just as good :) Thanks for the ideas. Love your site!

10. Pingback: 5 ways to get your kids to eat their veggies @ HEALTHY KIDS WORLD

11. Julie

October 19, 2010 at 8:02 am

HUGE hit with the family last night. My 12 year old couldn’t get enough… OF CAULIFLOWER???!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! Thank you so much :)

12. Karyn

October 9, 2010 at 7:20 am

Thanks Catherine! We had guests for dinner tonight. Guess what one of the side dishes was?? Yep roasted cauliflower. I mixed some feta in with the cheddar and added some cumin. LOVED by the guests, the hosts and the toddler. :+)

13. Sarah

October 5, 2010 at 3:43 pm

I never tried roasted cauliflower before but this looked interesting. I did it last night and everyone loved it, including the little ones who hates cauliflower! Definitely a success and this is how I will be making cauliflower from now on :-)

14. Julie

September 29, 2010 at 5:31 pm

We love roasted cauliflower and any vegetable roasted! I had to cut out dairy during pregnancy and BF, so I was introduced to brewers yeast, man it made roasted cauliflower taste like popcorn!

• Jessica

October 21, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Great suggestion! I’m mostly dairy-free, so I’m going to make most with cheese and a smart part with nutritional yeast. It’s the same as brewer’s yeast, right? :)

• Jessica

December 21, 2010 at 5:28 am

This is a huge hit at our house with hubby and 2 year old. We make a whole head of cauliflower, but it’s never quite enough! (That’s how much they like it.) I make part with nutritional yeast-tastes so good!

• Celena

May 12, 2011 at 10:34 am

Jessica, I am so glad for your idea with Brewer’s Yeast! Now I can mix this yummy recipe up a bit and make it twice a week. ;) lol

15. Kristi

September 29, 2010 at 3:08 am

I can’t wait to try this!! I am craving it more than the cookie dough I have in the freezer!

16. Kristin

September 28, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I don’t know if my son will be adventerous enough to try this, since he’s pretty anti-vegetable, but I think it looks delicious! I love roasted cauliflower and am a cheese addict – I can’t believe I never thought of combining them! Will definitely be trying this and hoping I can persuade the little guy to share some with me…

17. Sarah@natural diabetic

September 28, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Have never tried cauliflower roasted before – looks great! Made your chicken and wild rice casserole – the family loved it!

18. Leanna

September 28, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Amazing! My kid ate cauliflower. I love your website, Such a great tool for parents :)

19. Cindy

September 28, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Roasting broccoli is fantastic (only way my 3 boys will eat it) but have never tried cauliflower. . . sounds like a must try!

20. Ashley

September 28, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I’m going to make this tonight! Sidedish choice – done!

21. Beth

September 28, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Wondering about doing it with broccoli too. I have some in the fridge but no cauliflower. I bought the broccoli even though all 3 boys don’t like it, trying to figure out new ways to make it to hopefully get them eating it

September 28, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Yes, broccoli would totally work too. I’ve been roasting it every week and the kids love it!

22. carma

September 28, 2010 at 11:38 am

Cauliflower is really good roasted with balsamic vinegar too!

My 3.5 y/o. loves it this way!

23. Missy

September 28, 2010 at 10:14 am

Have you tried this with broccoli? Just wondering if the cooking time varies at all if you use broccoli or mix the two.

September 28, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I would cook broccoli about 5 minutes less.

• Missy

October 2, 2010 at 9:41 am

How does this fare if made in advance and served cold or room temperature? Looking for new things to send to daycare as snacks, but there is no place to reheat any food…

October 4, 2010 at 6:28 pm

These are so good at room temperature, cold or heated!

24. Miranda Merten

September 28, 2010 at 7:18 am

I used to like cauliflower with cheese as a kid but I haven’t had it lately. I don’t think it was ever roasted though, always steamed and roasting just sounds great!