Blueberry Oat Scones

Blueberry Oat Scones

Yum

One of the greatest food memories from my childhood occurred when my mother took me to England. I loved getting to see all the incredible monuments and museums and being introduced to foods and traditions that were completely foreign to me. As a 12 year old, getting to have high tea every afternoon was a truly regal experience for a little girl who fantasized about being a princess. Each day my mom and I would go to different hotels and patisseries at 4pm to enjoy a cup of tea and bite sized scones -- freshly made and topped with clotted cream. I so looked forward to it and realized even at that young age how important it was to stop for a few minutes each day, have a conversation and enjoy a special treat (something we rarely get to do in these busy times, if ever).

For kids in America, the closest meal equivalent to afternoon tea is the after school snack. Once in a while, as a special treat, I love to make something like these Blueberry Oat Scones, serve them with a cup of "cold hot tea" (as Kenya calls it) and just sit and talk with the kids. Mornings are always so hectic and dinner time can be a rush for many families to get everyone to the table, so it's nice sometimes to try and find a moment after school and before dinner to try and take a break, as the English do, and enjoy a few moments with the ones you love most. And of course, the food you eat always makes it that much more memorable.

Blueberry Oat Scones  (Makes 25 Mini Scones)

• 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats (also know as 5 minute oats)
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), chilled & cubed
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup blueberries (if using frozen blueberries, add to the batter while frozen)

1. 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. 2. In a bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients until combined.
  3. 3. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, rub the butter into the flour/oat mixture until is resembles coarse meal.
  4. 4. Whisk the buttermilk, egg and vanilla in a separate bowl.
  5. 5. Pour the buttermilk mixture over the flour/oat mixture and using a fork, stir until combined.
  6. 6. Stir in the blueberries until just combined.
  7. 7. Scoop out about 2 tbsp of the batter per scone onto a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet (I like using an ice cream scooper for this.)
  8. 8. Bake for 20 minutes.
Blueberry Oat Scones

Comments

1. Reiko

August 20, 2014 at 1:09 pm

These were delicious. I made the buttermilk with heavy whipping cream instead of milk which provided a richer flavor. I also (accidentally) used 1C of buttermilk instead of the 3/4C required by the recipe and the scones were extra flaky and delicious.

2. Kristin

January 29, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I just tried making the cranberry-orange scones from the Weelicious cookbook and couldn’t get the sticky batter to form anything close to something “rollable.” Could I just use this recipe’s scoop & drop method for that recipe (instead of rolling out and cutting into circles)?

January 30, 2013 at 1:02 am

Yes! That will work great!

3. Crys

October 16, 2012 at 3:06 am

Oh my these are so yummy! I used mixed frozen berries of cherries, raspberries, and blueberries…so yummy! Thank you!

4. Stef

July 19, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Soooooo good! Second batch disappeared alreadey! Trying to stock my freezer but it is just not happening! Yummy!

5. Pingback: Breakfast: Blueberry Scones « project granola mom

6. Pingback: hotels in key west duval street

7. Jennifer

November 28, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Ooh yay – so excited to make these. We had leftover buttermilk from soaking wild duck breasts and I hated it going to waste. And I actually have all the ingredients!

8. Mindy

June 25, 2011 at 8:49 am

Great recipe! My daughter and I made these today. We had a great time and the whole family loved them. The only thing I changed was to add some flax seed and we sprinkled some turbinado raw sugar on top prior to baking. Delish!

9. Kelly

May 21, 2011 at 9:22 pm

What can I substitute for oats? My son cannot eat them? Thanks!

• Jennifer

November 28, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I am not an allergy expert but my Whole Foods carries all kinds of different flakes besides oat, like rye and amaranth. Would one of them work?

10. drea

May 3, 2011 at 11:32 am

Made these today and adore them (perfect amount of sweetness) but would change one thing next time – the berries that were touching the pan ended up sort of… caramelized? I mean, the scones weren’t burnt, but the berries outside of the dough ended up crispy. Next time, I would drop the dough without the berries onto the sheet and then put the blueberries on top of the dough, slightly squished in so they aren’t touching the pan. Know what I mean?

Will definitely try them again – also thinking cinnamon raisin would be good – hahah, and chocolate chip (I know, I know, very un-weelicious of me!).

• Carol

February 3, 2014 at 1:37 am

My favorite meal of the day is brsaafket. Enjoying freshly baked scones with jam and butter, some eggs on the side and a nice cup of tea is my perfect morning. you made it clear that the scones were irresistible and I can tell from he look of them and the packaging that I could enjoy one or two or maybe three of them….

11. Elizabeth

April 30, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Every recipe that I have made from your site has turned out amazing :) I am able to even substitute for ingredients that I don’t always have and still have my baked goods turn out. My 18 month old daughter loves weelicious! Thank you <3

12. katrina

April 29, 2011 at 3:38 pm

waht would you use instead of buttermilk? (lactouse intalerance)

13. Sunida

January 5, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Can I make these and freeze them?

• Janet

February 11, 2011 at 11:49 am

Oh yes! I made a batch and froze about half of them. My son has been requesting them every morning. I just take one out of the freezer and pop it in the microwave. I came here because I ran out and I have to make more!

14. Sacha

November 28, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I made these today and they are delicious! I served them with raspberry jam and everyone loved them. Instead of buttermilk, I used the 1/4 cup plain yogurt and 1/2 cup milk, as per Christine’s suggestion. Also, I didn’t have parchment paper and so I used a non-stick baking sheet and they came out perfectly (no sticking whatsoever). Thanks, weelicious, this recipe is a new favourite in my house! Sacha xo

15. Lyn

November 26, 2010 at 4:33 pm

These look really good! Can you post a recipe for pumpkin scones? Just had a yummy one with a maple glaze from Whole Foods and would love to see if you could post a healthy version for kids. Seasonal too! Thanks!

16. Erica

October 19, 2010 at 10:54 am

Omg I love these!! My whole family loves them even my picky fiance lol they are awesome and easy : )

17. Penelope

October 10, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Can these be frozen after baked? I’m in the process of making them and worried that we won’t be able to eat them up fast enough. Maybe I’m worried for nothing! ;)

October 11, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Yes you can :)

18. christine

October 9, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I don’t typically like scones but these are so good. I didn’t have buttermilk so I substituted 1/4 cup whole milk yogurt and 1/2 cup rice milk and they came out great.

19. Liz - Meal Makeover Mom

October 6, 2010 at 8:40 pm

YUM. My husband is British, and every time our family travels to the UK, we look forward to scones. My hubby says the best way to eat them is with clotted cream so thick, you can see your teeth marks (I, on the other hand, just add a schmear)!

20. Christine

October 6, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Catherine,
    If I were to use rice flour (gluten intolerance), would the proportions be the same as the regular flour?

• Kate

March 5, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Hey there,

I am gluten intolerant also. My go-to flour mixture is 1/2 cup rice flour, 1/4 cup potato starch and 1/4 cup tapioca flour. To 1 cup of flour, you need to add 1/2 tsp of xantham gum. You could also try 1/2 cup oat flour. You can’t use straight rice because regular flour has a ratio of protein to starch. That is the idea behind this mix. I haven’t tried too many others, so far this is the best. Hope this helps.

• Cathie

October 7, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I would like to try it gluten free also. Let me know how it comes out.
      Thank you!

October 6, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I have not tested it with rice flour but I am pretty sure the proportions would be the same :)

21. carma

October 6, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Even in France there is the ” tradition” of “Le Goûter” -( pronounced goo-tay) or 4 o clock snack.

My husband grew up this way and I continue this tradition with my son.

Excellent post, Thank you Catherine.

22. Bethany

October 6, 2010 at 11:58 am

Fantastic!!! Just bought a 4lb bag of frozen organic wild blueberries, think this will be the recipe that opens the bag, THANK YOU!!! :)

23. Lynn

October 6, 2010 at 10:09 am

Weelicious is an excellent “go to” source for families (with or without) children, who want healthy alternatives. Good work!!

24. Karen

October 6, 2010 at 9:17 am

1 stick of butter = 1 cup or 1/2 cup?

• Zena

October 6, 2010 at 9:55 am

Karen,

1/2 cup is 1 stick of butter

25. Kirstin

October 6, 2010 at 8:51 am

Just added Old Fashion Oats and buttermilk to the grocery list. Can’t wait to make these. Think I’ll try cranberry, too. Would you suggest craisins or the real thing?

• Erica

October 19, 2010 at 11:02 am

For an easy subsitute to buttermilk you can use 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of vineger, wisk them together and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Thats what I use because we really dont keep buttermilk in the house : )

• Heather

May 29, 2011 at 10:54 am

I think you mean 1 cup of milk and 1 TABLESPOON of vinegar (not 1 cup). I use this shortcut a lot as we never buy buttermilk.

26. yeni

October 6, 2010 at 8:09 am

What a lovely treat for the little ones. Can’t wait to make this for my picky 2.5 year old boy. He won’t touch anything too sweet or even ice-cream, but he does enjoy baked goods. Thanks!

27. Audra

October 6, 2010 at 7:30 am

Ooh I was inspired to make these this morning before work. This site is inspiring me to bake and generally stop avoiding the kitchen! Scones in the oven now!