Steak Fries

Potatoes can be a mom's best friend in the kitchen. They're inexpensive, stay fresh longer than most produce, are incredibly versatile and kids tend to love them, especially when they are mashed or in every little one's favorite potato format: french fries. Granted, french fries come straight out of the deep fryer and as delicious as they are, are not the healthiest of choices. That's why I love Steak Fries.

Making Steak Fries couldn't be easier and for kids, they're a perfect french fry substitute. Just cut your potatoes into thick wedges, give them a light coat of seasoning and pop them in the oven. In no time they become tender and light on the inside and crispy on the outside. The best part is that whether you're serving a one year old or an 80 year old, this is a recipe everyone can enjoy. See? Your new best friend!

Steak Fries  (Serves 4)

• 2 russet potatoes (you could also use sweet potatoes)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon old bay seasoning

1. 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. 2. Cut in the potatoes lengthwise into wedges.
  3. 3. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle with oil, season with salt and Old Bay seasoning and toss with your hands until the potatoes are evenly coated.
  4. 4. Bake for 20 minutes, turn potatoes over and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until golden on the outside and tender inside.
Steak Fries

Comments

1. ashlea

October 18, 2012 at 3:05 pm

did you know your cooking tomes don’t add up?

October 18, 2012 at 4:47 pm

They do now. ;)

2. Pingback: RPE : Sweet Potato Wedges « a curve that sets everything right

3. Garret Plotzker

October 23, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I liked your post and the suggestions that are provided. There are plenty of recommendations out there that are both good and not good. If you have any more suggestions concerning natural health or simliar topics, that would be great. Keep up the quality writing!

4. Jenn

October 21, 2010 at 6:23 pm

I don’t use Old Bay seasoning. I’m not sure we have it in Texas but I DO use Tony Chacheres Cajun seasoning. Just as yummy!

5. Syeda

October 14, 2010 at 9:31 am

The fries always stick to the pan when I bake them, any suggestions?

October 14, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Place parchment paper or foil on the bottom, also what temp are you cooking them at? Do you coat them with oil?

6. Neil

October 14, 2010 at 4:09 am

Old Bay seasoning is a originally from Baltimore and is a mid-Atlantic, east coast thing. It’s sprinkled on Chesapeake Bay blue crabs before they’re steamed and others will put it on shrimp.

It’s likely hard to find outside of Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, DC, and Pennsylvania. But you can certainly find it online. And just so you know, it can be a bit spicy — especially to children.

• lynn

October 25, 2010 at 4:21 pm

it’s big in the south, i’ve always eaten it on beerboiled shrimp, fries, and other not so healthy delicious things

7. Mary G

October 7, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Can this seasoning be bought in Canada?

October 11, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I’m sure it can – Sorry, I don’t live in Canada :(

8. ALISHA

October 7, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I have no idea what Old Bay seasoning is… I’ve never seen it here in IL… My kids love seasoning salt on their steak fries!

9. Sarah@natural diabetic

October 7, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Yey for the Marylanders! Can’t beat Old Bay!

10. Tanya

October 7, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I have tried to make oven fries so.many.times but they also stick. I will try this way and we’ll see how it goes! :)

• Becky

October 13, 2010 at 7:39 pm

mine. totally. stuck. :(

October 14, 2010 at 2:43 pm

If you feel like they are not crisp enough – leave them in a little longer and take up the heat a little more :)

11. AndreaCC

October 7, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Lisa, you can buy a glass oil decanter at any store that sells kitchen supplies (I got mine at Target), and it has the ‘drizzler’ thingy on it. Just pour your olive oil in from your bulk bottle and you can drizzle away!il

12. Lisa

October 7, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Holly,

You can buy Old Bay seasoning at any grocery store. If it’s not in the spice section, it can be found near the seafood counter, usually.

13. Lisa

October 7, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Erin,

Where did you buy the little tube thing to stick in your bottle of olive oil? Would love to have one of those. I have had the same problem of drizzling too much olive oil on recipes like this one.

14. Holly N.

October 7, 2010 at 9:49 am

Where can you buy that seasoning? It sounds yummy!

15. Katie

October 7, 2010 at 7:13 am

I know this may seem silly but, how do you drizzle oil? I tried your cheddar cauliflower the other night and while it was delicious I seemed to “drizzle” too much olive oil. Any tips?

• ALISHA

October 7, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I use an bottle specifically made for oil that I purchased at a housewares store. It has a metal spout with a little straw that goes in the bottle….

• Erin

October 7, 2010 at 10:32 am

I personally bought one of those tube things you stick in alcohol bottles for bartending, and I use that to drizzle my olive oil. Alternatively, you can just cover most of the bottle’s opening with your thumb. :)

16. Melissa

October 7, 2010 at 6:51 am

I agree with Christy! I was born in MD and am always adding Old Bay to meats and veggies. I often roast potato wedges but am excited to try them with this seasoning!

17. christy

October 6, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Love this!!!!! I am from MD and put Old Bay on everything! I was so surprised to see it here in LA:) A little with apple cider vinegar on sweet potato fries is delish, too!

• Deb

October 7, 2010 at 6:01 am

sounds yummy!!! Can use other types of potatoes I have a bunch of white potatoes that I need to use soon before they go bad. Can these be frozen after baking?

October 11, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Unfortunately, they do not freeze well after baking. You would have to par-cook them then freeze them, then take them out when ready and pop them in the oven and continue cooking.