I wouldn't exactly call nacho cheese dip "healthy," but considering all of the junk kids traditionally consume on Halloween, this dip will definitely give them a good protein boost to start their evening of Trick or Treating and hopefully fill their bellies with something more nutritious than candy bars.
I don't know about your kids, but if my kids see chips and something with cheese along side it, they're totally in! With a few black beans "bugs" thrown in for fun and giggles, it's a Halloween recipe for success!
"Buggy" Nacho Dip (Serves 6-8)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Cups whole milk
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, grated (8 oz cheese)
- 1 15 Oz Can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
Preparation1. Stir the butter and flour in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring continuously for about 1 minute or until bubbly and golden.
2. Slowly add the milk, whisking continuously and bring to a boil.
3. Simmer on low to medium heat for 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens (it should coat the back of a wooden spoon).
4. Turn off the heat, continue to stir for another minute to cool then add the cheese and stir until melted.
5. Stir in the black beans.
6. Serve with tortilla chips.
*This dip should be served warm as it solidifies when it gets cold. Reheat this dip in a sauce pan over low heat till it is warm.