Pumpkin Seed Butter

I'm way into fruit, nut and seed butters. Peanut butter, almond butter, sunflower butter, apple butter, pumpkin butter....I love 'em all. With HalloWEEn just days away, there seems to be pumpkin seeds everywhere you look in my kitchen. It got me to thinking: why not pumpkin seed butter? I don't know of anyone who sells it, so why not make it?

This is an awesome recipe for getting your kids involved in cooking. My little ones had a blast making it with me. After I toasted and cooled the seeds, we put them in the food processor and watched the seeds change shape and texture several times. Every time we took the top off, the aroma of toasted pumpkin seeds filled the kitchen. The kids were totally fascinated by it and loved tasting it.

Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of manganese, magnesium, iron and protein, which makes this butter perfect on a sandwich or even served as a dip with celery or apples. Plus, if your kids have nut allergies or attend a nut free school, a good peanut butter alternative like this one is a great spread to add to your lunch time ingredient arsenal.

At this time of year when the weather is getting cool and you're looking for more fun activities to do inside, this is one that will stimulate all of your kids senses -- especially their taste buds!

Pumpkin Seed Butter  (Makes 1 1/2 Cups)

• 3 cups hulled pumpkin seeds (aka pepitas)

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2. Place the pumpkin seeds on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
  3. 3. Allow the pumpkin seeds to cool.
  4. 4. Place the seeds in a food processor and puree for 5-6 minutes, occasionally scraping down the sides with a spatula (you need to puree the mixture so it eventually becomes smooth- you don’t need to add any additional oil).
  5. 5. Serve on bread with honey, or celery or apple slices.
  6. * This pumpkin butter can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.

Accompaniments: Honey, Celery, Apple, Bread

Pumpkin Seed Butter

Comments

1. Zhenya Delate

November 21, 2012 at 12:05 am

Hi there, this pumpkin seed butter recipe is delish!!! Thanks for sharing :) I know this post is a couple of years old, but now there is a raw food version that you can buy in natural food stores by a company called “Rejuvenative Foods”. I just came across their pumpkin seed butter page here http://www.rejuvenative.com/products/Pumpkin-Seed-Butter.html . Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2. Mitch J.

October 11, 2012 at 11:00 am

I bet kids will go crazy over this pumpkin seed butter, combine it with anything, it’s delicious!

3. beccaeve

September 17, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I just made this. I think I roasted the seeds a little too much, but it still wonderfully. At first I didn’t think it would ever come together, at least without overheating the food processor, but all of the sudden it was rich and creamy and delicious!

4. John

September 8, 2012 at 8:26 am

Cute! hehe nice post you got here

5. Lissy

August 7, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Hi i don’t have a food prosseser what can i use to substitue?

August 7, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I wouldn’t use a blender because things like butters tend to just get stuck below the blades and it doesn’t blend well. You could try going old school and using a mortar and pestle plus lots of arm strength!

• Terrence Collis

April 21, 2013 at 9:25 pm

There are now blenders that have removerable blades you might like to look at get the ones with the higest revs

6. Pingback: Recipe of the week- Its a wrap « momma yogi

7. Andrea

October 19, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Made this today and after about 1/2hr my food processor died. :( Maybe not something to try on a cheapy food processor!

8. chris

June 2, 2011 at 4:32 am

Addendum: I did have a go at making pumpkin seed butter from raw dehulled green pumpkin seeds yesterday. It took over two hours in a food processor to get the butter to the right consistency….what you might call a labour of love. I had to rest my processor frequently to guard against overheating. I didn’t want to burn out my faithful RobotChef which has lasted me over 25 years and is no longer available at a sensible price. Commercial butter machines would no doubt do the job much more quickly. They use a combination of beating and high pressure. The raw pumpkin seed butter does taste nice, but obviously without the pleasant aroma of toasted seeds. Using toasted seeds and nuts I usually allow for around 30 minutes for processing.

9. chris

June 1, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Re crumbly pumpkin seed butter. In my experience, this may be due either to not processing the seeds for long enough or not toasting them at the correct temperature for the right time. By the way, it is almost impossible to make proper pumpkin seed butter(or any other seed or nut butter for that matter) from raw seeds…they do go very crumbly and it takes ages to get anywhere with a food processor. Adding oil is merely cheating and all you get is ground seeds in oil. You should never have to add any oil to real nut or seed butters. After all,they all contain around 50% oil already in their narural state. I roast them in a shallow tray 250g(8oz)at 150 deg C(300 deg F) for 20-25 mins. You need to keep a note of the smell coming from the oven. Seeds and nuts vary. It should be a pleasant not burnt smell. Overroasting is as bad as no roasting. Once in the food processor, the seeds go through various stages of consistency. The aim is to beat out the oil from the seeds. Toasted seeds release the oil more quickly. At first the paste rises up the sides of the processor. You have to keep knocking it down repeatedly. Be patient! Then it begins to form a big clump which needs to be cut up and broken down a number of times. More patience! Finally the butter will start to form and eventually will be evenly swept round the bottom of the processor like a potter working with clay. This butter will have the consistency of caramel fudge. This is how it should be naturally. The shop bought varieties are often “diluted” with cheap palm oil and of a thinner consistency to help them spread better from the fridge. I prefer to eat my butter by the spoonful, or put it on jacket potatoes etc., but it will certainly spread on toast and crackers easily enough. You can also make various dips using these types of butters as a base. I hope these tips which I learned through trial and error will be useful for you.

Good luck,
    Chris.

10. Pingback: The Week stays calm for nut butters | Eating The Week

11. momma2boys

April 7, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I made this and it turned out very crumbly…I didn’t want to waste it so I made some of your oatmeal on-the-go bars (which my 22 month old loves) and added the crumbly stuff to the batter. They came out amazing.

12. Jeremy Ewen

January 17, 2011 at 1:54 am

Damn, this is a very great recipe, thank you for posting this for us to try at home.

13. Javier Lovin

December 29, 2010 at 6:38 am

I feel powerful! I read the manual installation of the pool skimmer with terms that did not know English and I did well! :D

14. Jill

November 6, 2010 at 1:21 pm

This came out really dry for me also. I decided to add some vegetable oil. I ended up adding between 2 and 3 tbsps of oil and now it is great. I just added a little bit at a time and worked it in with a spoon.

Thanks for this great idea !!

15. zaee

November 3, 2010 at 7:36 am

thanks. No TJ’s here in Belgium. I miss it!
    I have painstakingly hulled them and toasted them up. pureeing them now but its still pretty dry. i hope this turns into butter soon.

16. zaee

November 2, 2010 at 2:36 am

I would also like to know the best way to hull the seeds. dry them out first?

November 2, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I buy hulled seeds from Trader Joe’s. You can buy them already shelled which makes it a lot easier.

17. Jake

October 31, 2010 at 9:12 pm

here are some of the recipes that we can do with pumpkin: http://topics-articles.blogspot.com/2010/10/pumpkin-recipes-during-halloween.html

18. Neville Pershall

October 29, 2010 at 7:55 am

Thanks for sharing your knowledge in this article.
    However, I think I don’t quite follow, could you elaborate a bit?

Thanks

19. Shannon

October 28, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I would love to make this but I can’t seem to find any seeds (or dried fruit for that matter) that are not processed on equipment with peanuts. I have a severely peanut allergic child and can’t do anything that has a cross contamination risk. Does anyone know of a brand that is not made on the same equipment?

20. Kristi

October 28, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I tried to make this, but it came out really dry. Perhaps I toasted the seeds too long? It seemed to need some moisture. It was still tasty, just rather crumbly.

• Megan

October 29, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I had the same problem!

• Jennifer

October 30, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Ditto! I even tried to add a tad bit of oil (eek!) but it’s still very crumbly.

• Megan

October 31, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I had to finally a little butter. :( i’m sure I just did something wrong. HELP!

21. Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama

October 28, 2010 at 6:32 am

Perfect timing! We are carving some pumpkins tonight and I would love to try some pumpkin seed butter. Thanks!

22. Hallie @ Daily Bites

October 27, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I don’t have kids but I love reading your blog! It’s such fun to see the healthy twists you put on simple kid-friendly foods…I think your kids probably eat better than most adults!

Thanks for the pumpkin butter recipe. I never knew seed butter was so simple to make!

23. Chelsea

October 27, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Our local organic grocery store carries a few different brands of ready made pumpkin seed butter, but the one we’ve bought is by “Nuts to You”. Making it yourself is defininitely fun though!

24. Amy

October 27, 2010 at 2:32 pm

How do you think this would go in your peanut butter pancakes?

October 28, 2010 at 3:37 pm

It would work great!!

25. Sarah@narutaldiabetic

October 27, 2010 at 1:23 pm

What a great idea! We love nut butters, and pumpkin seeds. Will definitely be making this!

26. Jessica

October 27, 2010 at 1:02 pm

What is the best way to hull pumpkin seeds?

27. Lisamarie

October 27, 2010 at 10:33 am

This sounds soooo good!

28. Wendy

October 27, 2010 at 9:22 am

Do you have any tips for removing the pumpkin goo and strands from the seeds? I always end up throwing out the seeds since I don’t have a simple way to clean them.

• Evelyn

October 30, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Empty them into the sink with about 3 inch of water the seeds will float to the top and the Pumpkin goo to the bottom. then just take a skimmer and get the seeds out!

• Lisa J

October 27, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I would like to get tips on this, too.

29. Talea

October 27, 2010 at 8:12 am

This came at the perfect time! We just got 3 pumpkins for us from our field trip yesterday and 1 extra one a friend wants us to puree for pies when I do ours. :) I was wondering what to do with all those seeds! Thank you!!

30. Margaret

October 27, 2010 at 8:07 am

I’m really looking forward to making this! My husband loves pumpkin seeds too- it’ll be a treat for all of us!

• Lea

February 1, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Make some extra, you know, just in case … :D

31. JEnnifer

October 27, 2010 at 7:44 am

Is it sweet kind of like apple butter?

• Jen

October 27, 2010 at 7:52 am

No, it is more like almond butter