This is one of my tried and true recipes that I've been making for years but for some reason never thought to put on weelicious. Long before I was married or had kids, when my best friend and I were living together, this soup was in my weekly recipe rotation. Like many kids who shun their veggies, my friend was hard to cook for, but she absolutely loved this naturally sweet soup.
Preparation takes minimal effort and once Kenya saw me take out the hand blender, I don't think he cared how it tasted as long as he got to help me make it. Once the ingredients were cooked and nice and tender, I let Kenya use the hand blender to mix it up, making the soup super creamy (without using any dairy, mind you). Boys sure do love their toys! I think he pureed it for what felt like 20 minutes until he finally deemed it
"just right mommy".
Nutritious, delicious and heart warming, hopefully this Carrot Ginger Soup will be in your weekly rotation all winter long!
Carrot Ginger Soup (serves 4)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 16 Oz Bag Baby Carrots
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 32 Oz Box Low Sodium Vegetable Stock (you could also use low sodium chicken stock)
Preparation1. Heat the oil in a stock pot over medium heat and sauté the onion for 4-5 minutes or until translucent.
2. Add the stock, ginger, carrots and salt, bring the liquid to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
3. Puree the soup using a hand blender or in a blender until creamy and smooth.
4. Serve topped with a dollop or yogurt, sour cream or crème fraiche.
plain yogurt, sour cream or crème fraiche