Pistachio Pesto

If you read weelicious often, you know that I'm crazy for pesto. While it might sound a bit fancy or gourmet, I think it's one of the most kid-friendly foods out there. We use pesto on everything from pasta to chicken to fish or even as a spread on sandwiches. The kids and my husband love it and it's a total lifesaver for me, especially because I can make a batch and keep it in the fridge for up to two weeks.

Packed with protein and vitamins A, C, E, K (and more) from the spinach and pistachios, this is a recipe where you know your family will be getting their recommended daily allowance of a lot of good stuff and enjoying every last bite!

Pistachio Pesto  (Makes 1 Cup - 4 servings)

• 1 cup spinach, packed
  • 1/4 cup pistachio, shelled, unsalted & toasted
  • 1/4 cup parmesan, grated
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1 pound pasta, cooked

1. 1. Place all the ingredients (except for the pasta) in a food processor and puree until smooth.
  2. 2. Mix with pasta and serve.
  3. * Pesto can be placed in containers (or even ice cube trays) and frozen for up to 3 months.
Pistachio Pesto

Comments

1. Maria Montoya

May 23, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Love every single one of your recipes, such an inspiration! healthy & delicious! Thankyou so much, keep doing what you do, I always look forward to watching your videos :)
    Maria xo

2. ARO Pistachios

March 7, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Our recommendation would be our Jumbo Gourmet Raw Kernels. They come in a handy easy to store and pour jar. YUMMY! When it comes to pistachios i know it is a nut that is good for you, having fiber, potassium, and antioxidants, and so much more? You can’t go wrong! check out http://www.orandiranch.com for great pistachios handcrafted with Himalayan Pinksalt!

3. Pingback: All the backlinks you need

4. Theresa787

September 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Catherine, thank you again for another amazing recipe! We made these for our 19-month olds, and you received RAVE reviews from my son. He finished his portion AND his sisters! His sister kept asking for “yum yums” (that’s what she calls your muffins). Thank you again!

5. Esther

July 6, 2011 at 4:22 pm

YUM! I’m pregnant but can’t seem to get myself to eat enough veggies/nuts… so I thought I’d give your pesto a try (even though I was if-y about the nuts)… BUT WOW! This was DEElicious! =D I didn’t have any pistachios at home… so I just subbed it with what nuts we had at home (I made two batches =P), one with walnuts, and one with pine nuts. YUM!
    Thanks for a great recipe! It’ll keep my husband, my 18 mth old, me, and the other baby-to-come healthy and happy!

6. Backlinks

May 27, 2011 at 12:09 am

Very nice blog. Thanks for the great tips!

7. Erin

April 27, 2011 at 3:44 pm

would i be able to add sundried tomato in it? do u use the whole cup for the pasta for half cup? sorry never used pesto before.

April 29, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Sundried tomato sounds delish! You don’t need to use the whole cup, I use about half a cup and freeze or refrigerate the rest.

8. Anna

April 25, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I made this for my 2 year old tonight and he loved it. I can always count on your recipes. My little guy eats them up! Thanks!

9. Shanna

March 3, 2011 at 7:33 pm

This is perhaps our favorite pesto recipe now and we are pesto lovers. I have made so many variations from traditional basil to arugula and walnut to now this one. I have made it two weeks in a row. Its excellent with pasta, veggies and shrimp one night and the next night we have grilled mahi mahi or halibut with the pesto smeared on the fish for grilling. Seriously so yummy!! PS. can’t wait for your cookbook to come out. I look to your site for ideas for my kiddos ( age 2 1/2 and 8 months)and I think my husband and I end up loving the recipes more than my kiddos do!! Thanks for such an awesome website!

10. Jo

March 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I made this last night, was sooo yummy! We can’t do dairy in our house so replaced the Parmesan with sheep’s feta… Made it lovely and creamy!

• Jo

March 2, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Forgot to say with no salt added or on the pistachios.

11. abigail

March 1, 2011 at 7:14 pm

do you have to use parm or is there an alternative? my lil’ guy is gluten and dairy free and we are just learning the ropes to it all. thanks!

March 2, 2011 at 7:20 pm

instead of parm you can use nutritional yeast which tastes just like cheese! :)

• Amy

March 22, 2011 at 11:43 am

Do you use the same amount of nutritional yeast?

March 22, 2011 at 2:00 pm

12. Christine

March 1, 2011 at 2:18 pm

My 7, 5, and 2 year olds, as well as my husband and I LOVED it. Nuff said.

13. Liz

February 28, 2011 at 8:19 pm

We tried this out and while my 3 year old took two bites and said no way, I thought it was very tasty.

• ConspiracyGuy

February 5, 2014 at 7:50 am

These look delightful. The pithscaios are perfect. I think I might just make them with normal flour, as nutella really zeros out the need for wholemeal anyway…. Do you think they’d still be the same?

14. Liz

February 28, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I cannot wait to try this tonight. My daughter lives on pasta so anything that gets her a little more nutrients without a big fight at dinner is a really good thing in this house!

15. Kristen Jay

February 28, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I really want to try this. It sounds very good and I am looking for new recipes for my kids. I was just wondering if I have to use fresh Parmesan or can I use the Kraft Parmesan? Thanks!

16. Elizabeth

February 27, 2011 at 11:34 am

Just made a batch for dinner tonight. Tasty, but salty. Made the mistake of using salted pistacios. If you only have salted pistacios, I reccommend cutting the amount of salt.

• Lorrie

February 27, 2011 at 6:18 pm

so bummed…i just did the same thing. not edible like this, but i can’t wait to try it again the right way!

17. fabeena

February 27, 2011 at 3:03 am

can i use almonds in this recipe? i dont hav pistachio

18. Mommy Wisdom

February 25, 2011 at 8:06 pm

WOW, this was outstanding and could NOT have been any easier. I went to 4 stores looking for unsalted pistachios and could not find them. I used salted and then cut the salt in half. I also suggest that you make sure to use a pasta that has nooks to catch the small chunks of pesto! My husband loved it and asked where I found the EASY recipe. I told him all the other things we have made from this site and we realized we have loved them ALL. Thank you!

19. Tiffany

February 25, 2011 at 5:54 pm

DELICIOUS!!!! I made it with my kid and the process and product were both EXCELLENT. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

20. Rita

February 23, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I am assuming this would call for the raw/un-roasted variety. Am I right? I just bought a bag of yummy roasted pistachios and am wondering if I can use them for this recipe.

February 24, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Yes you can :)

21. Janaye

February 23, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Made this last night and put it over cheese tortellini..so good! Love the bright green color!

22. Beth

February 23, 2011 at 11:32 am

I made this pesto last night for dinner and my 16 month old son devoured it. I used walnuts in place of pistachios. I love the color, so appetizing. Thanks!

23. Jen

February 22, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Just wondering if you used salted or unsalted pistachios? Love your website and your recipes. I have been telling all my friends about it.

February 24, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Unsalted :)

24. Stephanie

February 22, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I just made this tonight! I put it on chicken, my husband and I loved it! Tomorrow, DD gets to try it, I’m hoping she loves it too. I love that I already had all of the ingredients in my kitchen.

25. Kelly

February 22, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Where did you get this recipe? It looks exactly like one that was published in the December 2010 issue of Parents. I tried it back then and loved it.

February 24, 2011 at 2:46 pm

The recipe in the Parents Mag is this pistachio recipe :) We were featured in the magazine :)

• Kelly

March 1, 2011 at 3:47 pm

That’s awesome! We love this recipe. We just had it again 2 nights ago over cheese tortellini. Yum! Thanks for the great recipe!

26. Susie

February 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Does this recipe use fresh spinach? I’m such a bad cook that I need to ask even the most obvious of questions or I manage to mess up the meal. Thanks!

February 24, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Yes fresh spinach :)

27. Joanna

February 22, 2011 at 10:18 am

Do you cook the spinach first? My 11 month old daughter loves the pecan-arugula pesto from Jack Bishop’s cookbook “A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen.” We use smaller noodles instead of the linguine.

February 22, 2011 at 10:50 am

Nope, that’s the best part, you don’t have to cook the spinach, so it’s one less step. Just put all the ingredients in a food processor and whiz it up!

28. Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}

February 22, 2011 at 9:49 am

I love pesto, too! This looks delicious.

29. Brenda

February 22, 2011 at 8:21 am

We planted a 4′ x 4′ plot of spinach this year. Can’t wait to try this!