Carrot Raisin Salad

How often do you start making lunch or dinner and are at a loss for what veggie to add to the meal? Carrots are always a great and colorful choice, but maybe you're not in the mood to have to cook at the stove. I love eating raw carrots, but sometimes I find that they can be hard to digest if I eat too many or if I don't chew them really well. I imagine that the same thing might happen to kids.

This carrot salad is the easy answer to both issues. All you need is a grater to turn beta carotene packed carrots into a light, sweet salad that takes only minutes to prepare and goes down nice and easy!

Carrot Raisin Salad  (Serves 4)

• 4 carrots, grated (about 2 cups)
  • juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1. 1. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
Carrot Raisin Salad

Comments

1. thanks giving recipe

November 13, 2011 at 12:31 am

Its like you learn my thoughts! You seem to know so much about this, such as you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few p.c. to pressure the message home a little bit, however other than that, this is great blog. A great read. I will definitely be back.

2. Megan Johnson

June 2, 2011 at 9:19 am

My hubby says he’s allergic to healthy* :) But you didn’t see him complain shoveling that carrot salad into his mouth Mommy – 1
    Daddy – 0

3. mrs.m

March 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I made this just now for dinner, we added toasted walnuts and used golden raisins. Three thumbs up.

4. Melinda P

March 8, 2011 at 2:36 am

My mom used to make carrot, apple and raisin salad. Never cared for it much, LOL! But then again, she never added lemon juice, and that sounds kinda good. :)

5. Cathy

March 7, 2011 at 5:31 pm

My mother-in-law makes a similar salad with carrots and onions and she uses a food processor for the carrots. I think the addition of raisins will be a hit for my 2 1/2 year old! I might try adding some walnuts and pineapple too. Thanks for continuing to offer simple, creative and delicious recipes! Love your site!!!

6. Kara

March 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Because my family is a bunch of fatties, my mom added crushed pineapple, mini marshmallows, and walnuts. Um, super yum. And if you sprinkle cinnamon on top it is even more like dessert! In fact, that might be what we have for dessert tomorrow. Thanks Weelicious!

7. Daisy

March 7, 2011 at 2:27 pm

My mom used to make this all the time when I was little! I loved it!!

8. Grace

March 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm

My mom would make something like this with red cabbage and a little carraway, it was so good! I think my toddler will like this version better right now though, thanks for the idea. I love your site….lots of great ideas!

9. Nicole

March 7, 2011 at 9:45 am

My kids love this. We add crushed pineapple in ours. The sweetness of the pineapple is a great complement to the carrots.

10. ally

March 7, 2011 at 8:56 am

i think my 21 month old would be into this and i’m ready to stop soft steaming carrots! just curious as to what mayo you use. i’ve switched to spectrum organic mayo but its so expensive and we dont use mayo often

March 8, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Sometimes best foods mayo and trader joe’s mayo

• Trisha

March 7, 2011 at 11:36 am

A lot of people use mayo with canola oil, just make sure it is non-GMO canola oil.

• Renee

March 11, 2011 at 8:10 am

How do you know it’s non GMO??

11. Jewel

March 7, 2011 at 8:13 am

My mom used to make carrot salad when I was growing up. I had forgotten all about it. My mom would put sliced hard boiled eggs in her carrot salad. Thank you for a yummy reminder!!

12. Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}

March 7, 2011 at 7:21 am

I love your super easy recipes!