White Bean Basil Hummus

Not too long ago, a mother wrote that her daughter adored Trader Joe's White Bean Basil Hummus and could I help her figure out how to make it homemade. Hummus is very easy to make, but figuring out the exact flavor proportions of a particular recipe can be tricky. I played around with this one for a while, adding a little of this and a little of that, until I thought I came up with the perfect balance. Then, I ran around the house with a handful of spoons making my whole family do a blind taste test to decide which one was better. It was unanimous: the homemade version won hands down.

Sure, it may be a lot easier to simply buy a tub of your favorite hummus at the grocery, but after tasting this smooth and creamy version I bet you'll agree it's worth the time (and money!) to make it on your own. Thanks for your requests, readers!

White Bean Basil Hummus  (Makes 1 1/2 Cups)

I love it when weelicious moms email me to ask if I can figure out how to recreate a pre-made food they love from the grocery. Not too long ago, a mother wrote that her daughter adored Trader Joe's White Bean Basil Hummus and could I help her figure...

• 1 can cannelini or northern white beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup fresh basil
  • 1 small garlic clove
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 tablespoons tahini
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup olive oil

1. 1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth.
  2. 2. Serve with vegetables, pita chips or as a sandwich spread.
White Bean Basil Hummus

Comments

1. Pingback: 5 essential baby food recipes from 5 essential baby food sources. Starting solids research: done! | Cool Mom Picks

2. Pingback: april at a glance | wherever the wild wind blows

3. cnafis

March 17, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I love, love, love the Beet Hummus recipe. Unfortunately, I don’t get to try many hummus recipes because I’m very allergic to sesame (ergo tahini). Any suggestions for a tahini substitute? LOVING your website by the way. Best discovery EVER!

• Misty Weare

August 13, 2013 at 9:31 am

I just leave the tahini out–I know, crazy right? I just don’t like it. I always look for tahini-free hummus recipes.

• Jesus

February 4, 2014 at 11:08 pm

I refuse to eat ainthnyg that has been flavored with or cooked in coffee! People say “it’s just a small amount, you can’t taste it!” But if you don’t LIKE it, I promise, you can ALWAYS taste it.

March 18, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I know that lots of people use peanut butter as a substitute for tahini and they love it! Maybe that’ll work for you?

4. Beth

August 22, 2012 at 9:28 pm

A quick version I made is:
    Puree 1 lg. can white beans and 1/3c. Kirkland (COSTCO) Pesto (in the jar).. Add 1t.. lemon juice. Yummmm.
    PS: you can freeze the pesto sauce in ice cube trays and freeze them in a zip-lock bag for future use!

5. trikkinikki

August 10, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Made this today…holy DELICIOUS!!

6. Penny O

June 29, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Thank you for the recipe. Going to make it tomorrow with white beans I pre-cooked and froze ala http://melomeals.blogspot.com/. Looks good…looks perfect.

7. Pingback: White Bean Basil Hummus and Panzanella…made with l♥ve by the Cookie Mama. |

8. Pingback: New recipes! « Adventures in Gradland

9. Jamie

February 14, 2012 at 8:45 am

Can I use bag beans with this.. Not a fan of canned..

February 14, 2012 at 11:22 am

Yes, you can use dry beans. Just soak and cook them according to the package directions first!

• Safi

October 6, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I soaked a 1-lb bag of beans overnight.. any idea how much of the soaked beans I should use for this?

October 7, 2013 at 12:13 pm

About 1 1/2 cups of beans!

10. Maureen

February 6, 2012 at 11:03 am

Awesome! Was looking for another recipe and came across this. Have been telling friends about Trader Joe’s white bean hummus and their mediterranean hummus because its so good so excited to try this. We are not that close to TJ’s so now I could have this anytime I want!

11. Pingback: Easy Low-Carb Ideas | Health Parameters Research

12. Pingback: make lots money fast

13. hummus

November 1, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I bought hummus and accidentally left it out in the grocery bag on the counter for about 1 1/2 hours. If I put it in the fridge now will it be ok?

14. hummus

November 1, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I have some hummus here but I’m out of pita bread. What else can I eat with this hummus so it doesn’t go to waste?

15. Bee

October 31, 2011 at 1:25 pm

my son is allergic to garlic – should i sub with something or just leave it out?

16. Denise

October 31, 2011 at 8:37 am

How much is a “can” of beans? Cans come in lots of different sizes, so please be more precise on measurements

17. Pingback: Make Your Own: White Bean Hummus | Baby In The Kitchen

18. Bailey Whiteman

June 25, 2011 at 5:20 pm

This may have been said already, but I also use it instead of pesto on pasta. Tastes the same and we all get a higher protein vegetarian meal! And great for me since I can’t eat dairy right now.

19. rachel orosco

May 2, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I love this dip! thanks for sharing. I added half of a can of artichoke to this and it’s perfect.

20. KatieJ

March 31, 2011 at 6:40 pm

This is A-MAY-ZING… My husband, who hates hummus devours it. My 21 month old will eat anything if I put this on it, and she loves to help me make it in the kitchen. Thank you!!!!

21. Julie

March 26, 2011 at 5:55 am

Hi – you said 1 cup basil but do you pack the basil? Firmly pack? Gently pack? into a 1 cup measure? :D

22. Megan

March 24, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Hummus is a staple in our house, too. My 10 month old absolutely loves it! This sounds so good. Now I just have to run to the market tomorrow for some fresh basil. Thanks for the recipe!

23. Eden

March 23, 2011 at 11:55 am

I currently have everything but the fresh basil, only dried. can i still use that? if so, how much?

March 23, 2011 at 2:47 pm

You have the option of putting dried basil in the hummus but if you do, put 1- 1 1/2 tbsp since it is stronger. Again, the flavors will be different from using fresh basil. Let me know if it works :)

24. Julie

March 21, 2011 at 4:40 pm

This is so delicious! My 3yo daughter and I just made it and nearly ate the whole bowl. She won’t eat beans as is, so thank you so much for this recipe. It’s going to be a staple in our fridge, especially with all of the fresh basil growing in the garden.

25. Julia's Child

March 15, 2011 at 9:04 am

Yum! I too have noticed that fresh citrus juice is so effective at making canned beans taste fresh. Black beans + lime juice is another good combo.
    Now I need some basil…

• Penny O

June 29, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Excellent suggestion of black beans and lime. Must try sometime.

26. Dawn

March 14, 2011 at 11:38 pm

THANK YOU!!! I’m moving away from my Trader Joe’s in 3 weeks and so happy to have this! Thank you! :)

27. Ashlea

March 14, 2011 at 5:35 pm

My son is allergic to sesame what would you suggest to replace the Tahini with as I would love to try it?

March 15, 2011 at 1:30 pm

You can leave out the Tahini :)

28. angela

March 14, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Perfect timing! I have a $2 basil plant from Trader Joe’s that has taken off and turned into a basil shrub! Besides pesto (which I’ve been making by hand and to order), I’ve been looking for a recipe to use up heaps of basil. This ought to do it and it sounds delicious!

p.s. – I know that acid is generally to taste, but about how much lemon juice (by volume) would you estimate? I like to have a starting point because I’ve got some pretty big lemons!

29. Reyna

March 14, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I love the stuff from TJ’s…but we live far enough away that I don’t get it very often. I can’t wait to make this when the basil in my garden starts to grow!

30. gauri

March 14, 2011 at 3:18 pm

any thoughts on how long this can be stored?

March 14, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Place them in a tupperware and store up to two weeks, refrigerated

31. Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}

March 14, 2011 at 2:54 pm

This looks delicious! I’ve seen the white bean basil hummus at TJ’s, but haven’t ever tried it. I’d much rather make my own anyway. Thanks for this recipe. :-)

32. Fiona

March 14, 2011 at 1:55 pm

dumb question- by small clove of garlic, do you mean a small bulb/head or just a clove (segment)?

March 14, 2011 at 4:13 pm

a clove which would be a segment :)

33. Rebecca

March 14, 2011 at 1:06 pm

1 cup of basil.. I have to assume that means fresh and not dried basil.

March 14, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Yes! Fresh :)

34. Kary

March 14, 2011 at 11:07 am

In what section of a grocery store would I find the Tahini? Never heard of it and have no idea what it is. Would love to try this with my kids.

Thanks,

• Cathie

March 16, 2011 at 11:02 am

I find tahini near the mayonnaise section of our local supermarket. when making traditional hummus with chick peas if I have run out of Tahini I have in the past substituted a little peanut butter (provided no nut allergies). If you have nut allergies perhaps try sunflower seed butter or leave it out altogether.

I can’t wait to try this version…looks and sounds delicious!

• Kirsten

March 14, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I’ve seen it near the peanut butter at Wholefoods but I just use sesame seeds. You’re putting them in the food processor anyway =)

• HCinKC

March 14, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I have seen it in the health food section, with the baking and cooking supplies, and the international food section. Since stores differ in availability depending on where you live, it’s probably easiest to ask an employee. It is a sort of cream colored looking paste in a jar about the size of peanut butter. If you can’t find it, you don’t *need* it. Leaving it out can affect the taste slightly, but it isn’t needed for consistency or anything.

35. Lisa

March 14, 2011 at 9:37 am

We adore hummus at our house. I make one homemade batch a week. Can’t wait to try this version! Thanks!

• Betsy

February 5, 2014 at 3:31 am

Okay I’m coievncnd. Let’s put it to action.