New Weelicious Series- My Own Edible Garden- Part 3

I still can't believe how fast everything is growing in our garden. It's just like cooking, a little this, a little that and poof, fresh food! The kids have gotten in the habit of filling their water buckets to water everything from the tomatoes, carrots, kale, beans, strawberries and more. We've only had one casualty, the tomatillo seeds we planted in a place we forgot to water, woops! Live and learn. We even planted pumpkin seeds that will hopefully arrive in early fall, just in time for Halloween.

So far in the past 2 weeks we've made salad with a variety of lettuces the kids got to pick on their own. Cilantro for guacamole, thyme to roast a chicken, basil that we chopped for a tomato olive compote over grilled fish and even lemon verbena lemonade that was a big hit. I'm starting to feel like there's a little green in my thumbs, but I've still got a long way to go! Here's a few more things we all learned recently from Lauri, our garden mentor from Edible Gardens LA:

Comments

1. Becky

July 12, 2011 at 10:29 am

Where would you suggest we START for the edible garden process? We just bought a house and live in Miami, FL so we have warm climate year-round. No idea where to even begin, though, do we just put seeds in the ground? Thanks!

2. Lisa

May 15, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Catherine or Lauri,

What about the fish emulsion….where would I purchase such a thing? I have so far planted swiss chard, bell peppers, tomatoes, basil, and lettuce. If you can help me in any way, I would certainly appreciate it.

3. Cyndi Finkle

April 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Lauri is the best! She is an amazing gardner and cook! So happy to see her working here with weelicious!

4. catherine

April 20, 2011 at 5:21 pm

If you’ve been looking for the trellis that holds the Blue Lake Beans, here it is: http://www.easternstartrading.com/ They sell such cool garden products!

5. Kaitlin Lee

April 17, 2011 at 9:20 pm

We have had problems with deer eating our food every summer now. Does anyone know of any tried and true tips? At this point me might just create a crazy fenced in enclosure to keep them out. Eye sore, but worth it.

6. Brenda Garner

April 17, 2011 at 7:05 am

Love your kids being so involved! This is something they will do now forever.

7. Grace

April 17, 2011 at 6:17 am

Do you ever have issues with neighborhood cats being attracted to the fish emulsion fertilizer? The garden looks great, by the way.

8. Lisa T

April 16, 2011 at 12:40 pm

We’ve already planted onions, tomato, parsley, dill, golden raspberry’s and we have 1 strawberry plant that my husband is going to split to make more. Today we got seeds for peppers, beetroot, celery, carrots, spinach and more tomatoes and parsley. I want to plant zuchinni and eggplant as weell but not sure my husband will be so excited to do that much digging.:D

9. Lauren@SimplyLKJ

April 16, 2011 at 9:59 am

Great tips! We just recently planted our herb garden and added some veggies. I so look forward to using them throughout the summer months to cook with.

10. Gaby

April 16, 2011 at 9:07 am

Oh the joys of warm climate! Way too cold and rainy too coldand rant here in OR to plant very much yet. I look forward to planting tomatoes in mid May! Yay.

11. Brady

April 16, 2011 at 8:44 am

Anyone can garden! Even in small spaces you can use containers, I have even seen someone use a poly-plastic shoe holder hung on a fence with plants growing in it!

12. dawn

April 15, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Great tips!!

13. Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama

April 15, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Aaaaah I love this!! I openly admit that I am insanely jealous.

14. Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews

April 15, 2011 at 8:21 pm

How fun! I can’t wait until we sell our condo and get a house so I can grow a garden (although I am lacking a green thumb as well). I’m especially looking forward to basil and tomatoes.

• Heather

April 15, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Have you tried container gardening?