Herb Roasted Chicken Legs

I much prefer white meat to dark, so I don't buy chicken legs that often. All that changed a few weeks ago when I took Kenya to a birthday party where they were serving all kinds of his favorite foods: beans, rice, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, even macaroni and cheese, but what did Kenya eat one of after another? That's right, chicken legs. I took the funniest picture of him chatting at a table full of his friends, waving his drumstick around animatedly and chowing down on the tender meat.

Chicken legs are a great choice for dinner time because they're inexpensive, easy to prepare and you can buy them in their own natural single serve packages. I've made them twice since that birthday party and both times my kids devoured them. Why didn't I think of making these sooner?

Herb Roasted Chicken Legs  (Serves 4)

• 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 poundss chicken legs

1. 1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
  2. 2. Place the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
  3. 3. Add the chicken legs, coat with the mixture, cover and marinate for 30 minutes in the fridge.
  4. 4. Place chicken legs in a greased baking dish, pour the marinade over and roast for 40 minutes.
Herb Roasted Chicken Legs

Comments

1. Pingback: Herb Roasted Chicken Legs | Jessica + Beau

2. TanyaC

May 3, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Wow- this was so easy and oh so tasty! I added cumin but otherwise followed above. We all loved it. I will be making this again very soon!! Thanks for a quick & easy recipe that will be added to our rotation!

3. Pingback: Meal Plan Month 1 « eatcleancookless

4. Leesh

May 17, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I used rosemary. My 11 month old gobbled them up (I took the meat off the bones)!

5. Pingback: baked chicken

6. buy indian food online

October 18, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Someone essentially assist to make severely articles I might state. This is the very first time I frequented your web page and up to now? I surprised with the analysis you made to create this actual put up amazing. Excellent job!

7. annie c.

July 15, 2011 at 12:37 am

Hi Catherine: I used this recipe to make bbq chicken legs . . . I just marinated in bbq sauce, but I wanted to know how long to cook them for and what temp. The chicken turned out really chewy . . . like calamari weird chewy. This has happened to me a lot when I cook chicken . . . does this happen to anyone else? Do you have any ideas about what might be going on or tips to get roast chicken right? Maybe it wasn’t cooked enough, but I used a thermometer and baked it until it was 165 degrees. Thanks! :)

8. Maija

June 30, 2011 at 9:07 pm

This was such a huge hit with my boys (4 yrs and 3 yrs) My 3-year old had 4 huge drumsticks!!! Yum! Thank you!

9. Stephanie

June 15, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Delicious, Thanks!

10. Kristy B.

June 7, 2011 at 10:11 pm

My entire family really enjoyed this!! Thanks!

11. Kerry R

June 3, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I added orange juice and garlic, cumin, lemon juice, and cilantro. My kids had two a piece and the 4 yr old said it was the best dinner ever!!! I also made the roasted carrots and rice pilaf…they loved it all!
    Thanks!

12. Arica Saltzman

May 25, 2011 at 3:37 am

I have fresh Cilantro growing in my herb garden so I was excited to try this one out. My picky kids(and husband) inhaled this and loved it! I also made 1 boneless skinless chicken breast with the same marinade which was delicious as well. Thanks for yet another hit!

13. Laurel

May 23, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Would this recipe and directions work for wings?

14. Keltie

May 17, 2011 at 5:57 pm

You could probably use a bunch of chicken legs and do your Crockpot BBQ Chicken right? That is one of my DS’s favorites!

15. Amy

May 17, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Another reason to try this recipe: I read somewhere that dark meat is good for little ones because it has higher levels of iron, zinc, riboflavin, thiamine, and B vitamins than white meat.

16. Sokha McCarthy

May 17, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Chicken wings, legs, drums and etc. are enjoyed at our house. I normally make lemon pepper chicken with olive oil and fresh squeeze lemon. My kids also enjoy asian wings with caramel sauce marinated overnight. I think fried chicken wings are good too; they devour them. We love dark meat and with skins on them — delish! We even eat chicken feet at dim sums (chinese breakfast).

17. Laurie

May 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm

One more thing about dark meat… I like knowing all of those chickens killed for their breasts are having their other parts used, too! :)

18. Laurie

May 17, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Let’s hear it for dark meat! I’ve become a new fan recently. I gave my 10 month-old a few tiny bites of chicken thigh meat recently. He loved it and had no problem with it. I think it’s a great way to transition a baby from pureed meat, since dark meat is generally a little softer and less stringy than white chicken meat, beef, etc. Thanks for the great recipe!

19. Gaby

May 17, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Just out of curiosity, what is the side dish in the picture? Corn a d something? I’m pregnant and terribly picky right now but this sounds really good. Thanks Catherine!

May 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Its actually the corn salsa! :)

20. Candy

May 17, 2011 at 2:03 pm

my 3 year old daughter LOVES chicken legs. so cute seeing our girly girl munch down on chicken legs. this recipe sounds yummy. i’ll try it out!

21. Larisa

May 17, 2011 at 1:47 pm

For some crazy reason, chicken legs gross me out. My husband loves them, though, so maybe I’ll give these a try one day!

• Sukhchain

February 5, 2014 at 3:56 am

We deltniiefy need more smart people like you around.

22. Mary

May 17, 2011 at 1:40 pm

This might be a crazy question, but does roast mean the same as bake?

May 18, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Yes, baking is referred to sweets and desserts, roasting is more for savory things like turkey, chicken and so forth. To roast is to cook the meat uncovered :)

• Mary

May 18, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Thanks Catherine I’m really new to all this cooking and your website has really made my life so much easier.

23. Laura

May 17, 2011 at 8:06 am

My kids love chicken legs as well. In fact, I sent them in their lunch boxes last week and the other kids at school were “shocked” to see them, said we weren’t cavemen anymore. I guess if it doesn’t come in nugget form it must be prehistoric. Sad!

24. Meghna

May 17, 2011 at 7:27 am

I have 2 lbs of chiken drummettes in the freezer, as my husband LOVES any style “buffalo wings”. I like to buy drummettes as they are a perfect size for my 3 year old to handle as well. I will try this recipe with those, today and let you know how it goes! Might have to add a little crushed red pepper to my husband’s batch for a little kick for him, though!

• Meghna

May 17, 2011 at 6:49 pm

So, I made these for dinner. Adjusted the recipe slightly. I used 2 lbs of drummettes, rather than legs, and added some fresh cracked pepper to the marinade. Then, after baking the drummettes for 40 minutes, I pulled them out, but they looked a little under cooked to me, and very soft, so I broiled them for 10 minutes on each side to make the skin a little crispy, and more buffalo wing like. They were a hands down hit! Absolutely delish! My 3 year old ate 7 drummettes for dinner!

25. Shannon M

May 17, 2011 at 7:09 am

I’m not a huge fan of Cilantro – is there a different herb I could try instead?

May 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Yes, you can use any type you prefer :)

• Laura

May 17, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I’ll try rosmery instead. Yum!

• Mollie D

May 17, 2011 at 9:30 am

Me too- I love cilantro, but I was wondering if one of the italian-type herbs would work. Really anything would probably work.

What about a spicy version? My kids love spicy food

May 17, 2011 at 10:38 am

You could use fresh basil, parsley or any other fresh herb you enjoy!

May 18, 2011 at 2:03 pm

• Steph

May 17, 2011 at 9:04 am

I think oregano works really well with lemon.
      Can’t wait to try these!

• Anna

May 17, 2011 at 8:39 am

I was just coming on to ask the same question about a sub for the cilantro. :)

26. Cathy

May 17, 2011 at 7:01 am

What a great idea! Do you leave the skin on? Can’t wait to try!

• Mauve

February 5, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Play inavomftire for me, Mr. internet writer.

May 18, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Yes, thats the best part!

27. Esteban

May 17, 2011 at 6:52 am

I wonder how hard it would be to adapt to a slow cooker. It seems like a candiidate to try.

May 17, 2011 at 10:37 am

The slow cooker is a great idea! I’m thinking 2-2 1/2 hours on low and they will be tender and juicy. Yum!

28. Kristi

May 17, 2011 at 6:35 am

My son loves chicken legs. I would say its his favorite thing to have for dinner. We usually roast a chicken and save the legs for him. Can’t wait to make them this way for him!

29. lital

May 17, 2011 at 3:29 am

looks good and a great, so simple idea to make!
    my daughter loves chicken (especially wings cause they’re soft) and red meat. ill try this.
    thanks!

30. Tamara

May 17, 2011 at 1:29 am

You know you can’t tell us about the funny picture but not show it to us, right?! ;)

What a good idea on the chicken legs though. I’m the same as you, not a dark meat fan. But you’re right, whenever I pick up a rotisserie chicken my daughter’s favorite part is the leg. I remember liking them as a kid too. There was always a scramble over who got the legs, LOL.

31. darcy yazzolino

May 17, 2011 at 1:22 am

I’ve had some chicken legs in my freezer for a while and I’ve had no idea what to do with them (besides your normal BBQ). I know what’s for dinner tonight!