Chocolate Hazelnut Spread

My husband is an incredible storyteller. He comes up with the most elaborate, entertaining tales that would keep even the most fidgety kid engaged. Every night, we take turns telling the kids bedtime stories. While hubby comes up with these super creative tales that have a lesson or moral woven in to boot, my stories are generally straightforward travelogues along the lines of "Mommy and Kenya Go to Paris" (you think I've been reading too much Madeline?). In my stories, Kenya and I roam around far flung locations like Paris, looking at the Eiffel Tour, touring Notre Dame and eating everything from croissants to crepes. Of course food gets more detail than anything else in my stories, and so Kenya usually asks if we can make the things I talk about so fondly.

Last week we had a crepe making extravaganza, preparing them three mornings in a row. Crepes are so easy to make and the kids love being surprised by the different fillings I offer them. In my Paris story, I talk about eating banana filled crepes with Nutella, but instead of buying a jar of the famous hazelnut-chocolate spread they use in France, we decided to make our own homemade version.

Whether you decide to spread this insanely delicious and addictive treat on Graham crackers, strawberries, crepes or even, I dare say, eat it right off the spoon, this version of homemade nutella will make you feel like you are on vacation in France. And chocolate for breakfast? That'll keep your kids more engaged than the best story!

Chocolate Hazelnut Spread  (makes 1 1/4 cups)

• 1 cup hazelnuts
  • 1/4 cup agave or honey
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 3 tablespoons hot water

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
  2. 2. Place hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 15 minutes.
  3. 3. Remove hazelnuts to a kitchen towel, cover and rub to remove the hazelnut skins.
  4. 4. Place hazelnuts in a food processor and chop for 30 seconds.
  5. 5. Add the remaining ingredients and puree.
  6. 6. Serve with crepes or as a dip for fruit.
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread

Comments

1. Pingback: Flavor in a Flash | Food, Faith, and Other Fabulous Finds

2. Pingback: Graham Cracker Swirls and Red Beet & White Bean Hummus - The Kitchenthusiast

3. Flor Barajas Tena

January 25, 2014 at 7:09 pm

I love this recipe. I can eat spoonfuls of it alone. Just wanted to let the readers know that I toasted my hazelnuts in a pan for 15 minutes. I watched them closely and turned them over frequently but the taste was the same as placing them in the oven. Sometimes I do not want to turn my oven on for the 3rd time in one day.

4. Pingback: Misleading Product Roundup: Don't be Fooled - 100 Days of Real Food

5. brainsnbeauty84

September 27, 2013 at 7:33 pm

does this need to stay in the fridge? I made some recently and kept it in the cabinet. It grew mold on it.

6. Pingback: Graham Cracker Swirls and Red Beet & White Bean Hummus | THE KITCHENTHUSIAST

7. Lindsey

December 27, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you! My 2 year old daughter was the BEST eater until about three weeks ago when she became the definition of a picky eater. I have survived these last few weeks because of your site, and this recipe takes the cake. The only breakfast food she will currently eat is Nutella on whole wheat english muffin, and now I can feel a little better about it!

8. Misty

April 17, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Just wanted to say I was wishing I had a recipe for this just the other day when I made my son yet another peanut butter and banana sandwich. I thought it’d be nice to be able to give him something else! He doesn’t have dairy so we will be trying this soon :) Thank you!

9. Pingback: trouty

10. Joy B

February 24, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I just made this and it’s great! It’s a bit dry for my liking so I added a bit of flax oil and now it’s perfect (and healthy!). Thank you for this great recipe!!

11. Emma

January 15, 2012 at 11:46 am

Just made it to use as a filling between cookie sandwiches – v nice indeed. I used honey instead of agave and it turned out fine – it is a bit grainy – not sure if that’s just my processor, might try the suggested coconut milk addition next time – which may be soon as it’s v popular!

12. luxury crackers

December 9, 2011 at 8:25 pm

You are in reality a excellent webmaster. The website loading velocity is incredible. It sort of feels that you’re doing any unique trick. In addition, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve done a excellent task in this topic!

13. Pingback: Homemade Nutella Recipe

14. tonia

September 6, 2011 at 12:54 pm

couldn’t get any of the kids to enjoy this one…not sure if it was the texture or what. :( (must be spoiled by the creamy texture of nutella) no worries, me and hubby think its great so it’s not going to waste. :)

15. christine

August 19, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Grew up in Germany with the real deal; going to our local co-op for some organic hazelnuts, cocoa, and agave then we’ll mix it up in our Vitamix. I do hope it turns out smooth like the original. We’ll see.
    Vielen, vielen Dank!

• christine

August 30, 2011 at 8:55 pm

There was a slightly bitter taste and the chunkiness just didn’t fly with my German babes. So we added some coconut oil and coconut milk: much better, smoother texture. With your crepes it was delicious!

16. Lee Anne

August 11, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I am SOOOO EXCITED!!! I was looking at my pantry this week thinking how many processed items we’ve omitted and there sat the Nutella jar. I didn’t think I could do without and now I can make my own!! You just made my day!

• Bruna

February 5, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Dagens lunch;Vidrigt nyttig grate4ng (fast god) brccooli+fe4nke5l+purjo+e4gg/mjf6lkstanning.Ve4gde upp detta med att knapra potatischips till och dricka iskall hallonsaft.Toppade me5ltiden med en ruta mf6rk mintchoklad fre5n Willys.Kroppen blev nf6jd och glad! Det hade den inte blivit utan de de4ra chipssmulorna (*hrm* ne5ja, ne4varna de5)

17. adri

August 5, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Would honey work as a substitute? I know you say sometimes agave is better for a recipe, so I wanted to see.

And like someone asked above, which agave (light, dark, amber)?

Thank you!! My family and I LOVE your recipes!

18. Lori

August 4, 2011 at 10:17 pm

My grocery store didn’t have hazelnuts, but I had some organic cashew butter that I substituted…Obivously a different flavor, but the kids are happy! :) Now, I must find some hazelnuts to make it as written!

19. Abby

August 3, 2011 at 2:24 pm

What brand/kind of agave is everyone using for this recipe? When i checked at our local store i saw different kinds, i.e., light, dark, amber, etc. Which is the best to use? Thanks!

20. CCMom

August 3, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I’m kinda a Nutella addict :) can’t wait to make this at home!

21. Kevin (BBQ Smoker Site)

August 2, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Wow… sign me up! We buy Nutella quite a bit, but this looks so much more … well… natural! They don’t put too much in the way of bad stuff in their product, but the version you have here looks so great! Really like your use of Agave nectar as well. The amber organic version is a favorite in our house.

22. Simi

August 2, 2011 at 2:12 pm

This recipe is fabulous! We LOVE nutella in my house, but the nutritionals of it scares me quite a bit. I’m so excited to make and try this recipe out on my hubby and li’l one this weekend! Thank you so much!

23. Catherine

August 2, 2011 at 1:24 pm

This sounds so yummy! Do you think I could use stevia instead of agave?

24. Franki

August 2, 2011 at 11:52 am

I am so excited to try this recipe! My daughter loves Nutella. We try not to buy it too often, especially because of the artificial ingredients, so I’m really thrilled to make a homemade version!

25. blanca

August 2, 2011 at 11:48 am

Oh yum!

26. Erica

August 2, 2011 at 8:53 am

MMM…nutella! I am so happy to hear that I am not the only one who’s stories revolve around travel and food. As much as I try to come up with another story, I too end up in a land far away…eating!

Thank you for this recipe. My daughter can’t have dairy and it kills me that she can’t enjoy the chocolate, nutty goodness of nutella. YAY!!! Thank you.

27. raylene

August 1, 2011 at 10:26 pm

ok so just made this yummy , I did follow exactly but wasnt thrilled with the taste so added a pinch of salt and an extra squirt of agave. I normally just follow but the extra just tasted better for me.

28. Lisa

August 1, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Oh awesome….can’t wait to make this….Catherine, what type of agave do you use? I checked out a health food store in NY, and they had a bunch of different kinds and I wasn’t sure which one to get…. I was gonna check out Whole Foods or Trader Joes to see what they had, but wanted to get your input first……Lookin forward to your cookbook!!!!

29. meghna

August 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I am thrilled about this. I have been searching far and wide for an organic option to Nutella. It freaks me out that Nutella is non-organic dairy product. I can’t wait to make this. By the way, if we made it with skim milk, instead of water, would the recipe still work?

30. Lauren

August 1, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Wonderful recipe as always. I just had to share this with my readers:

Thank you so much, I just love your site!

31. Lisa

August 1, 2011 at 12:11 pm

OMGosh….thanks so much for this recipe. My vegan family can now eat healthy Nutella. So excited! Nutella, comercially made has skim milk in it and my kids have always wanted to try it. Now, they can!

32. Molly

August 1, 2011 at 11:43 am

I like ham and cheese crepes, spinach and mushrooms, chicken and pesto, bell peppers and onions, banana and almond butter, cherries and whipped cream…the possibilities are endless….

• Wendy Liu

August 2, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Thanks very much, I cannot wait to try.

33. David

August 1, 2011 at 11:40 am

How long does it stay good stored in/out of fridge?

August 1, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I had my last batch in the fridge for 3 weeks before we finished it.

34. Lady

August 1, 2011 at 11:16 am

We just made gluten free crepes with raspberry & huckleberry compote and yogurt. Soooo summery and good! Next up is this chocolate hazelnut filling.

35. Wendy Liu

August 1, 2011 at 9:47 am

Hi, Catherine,

Since you mentioned Crepes here, can you please give me some options for fillings? My kids loves Crepes, but I am runnin out of ideas for fillings.

Thanks,
    Wendy

• Misty

April 17, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Sorry I meant that comment above for you Wendy :)

• joD

August 1, 2011 at 2:00 pm

My mother used to made lovely savory fillings for dinner crepes. I would love to hear how you would fill these for dinner, too. :)

• Misty

April 17, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Cream cheese would also be nice in crepes, in England they do them with Lemon juice and sugar not very healthy but really tasty! :)

• Suzanne

August 2, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Speghetti sauce and meat make a great filling.

36. Amanda

August 1, 2011 at 9:31 am

What brand of agave do you use? The last time I bought some it had an overwhelming scent & taste of plastic. It was disturbing!

August 1, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Oh, that is disturbing. Where did you buy it from? I buy agave from Trader Joes or from http://sohgave.com/

37. Pingback: Healthier "Smartella" Chocolate Hazelnut Spread | Family Kitchen

38. Lisaleigh

August 1, 2011 at 8:21 am

I love that the second ingredient in your “Smartella” is agave, and the second ingredient in Nutella is sugar. Thanks for a healthy option!

39. Ruth ann

August 1, 2011 at 5:18 am

Thank you so much for giving us a dairy free option to Nutella. My family LOVES Nutella but we don’t bring it into the house due to a severe dairy allergy…now we can make our own and my daughter won’t have to feel “left out”! Thank you again!!