Cranberry Pecan Muffins

Cranberry Pecan Muffins

Every year I get a little overzealous and buy so many cranberries for Thanksgiving that, without fail, I end up with a whole extra bag in the fridge. While I think of cranberries as being quite tart, after watching Kenya eat a handful of them plain last week and liking the taste of them (or at least pretending to), I figured that a muffin with a big handful chopped up in them sounded like a really nutritious way to use the ones I had left over.

If you're looking for a special holiday treat to take to school or for a get together over the holiday, these Cranberry Pecan Mini Muffins are an out of the ordinary treat!

Cranberry Pecan Muffins  (makes 24 mini muffins)

• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup raw pecans, chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, chopped

1. 1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
  2. 2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and oats in a bowl. Set aside.
  3. 3. Cream the butter and brown sugar in a standing mixer (or bowl using a hand mixer) for 2 minutes.
  4. 4. Add the eggs and vanilla into the butter-sugar mixture and mix for 1 minute.
  5. 5. Add half of the flour mixture into the egg mixture and incorporate it, followed by half of the sour cream, followed by the remaining flour mixture and finally the sour cream. Make sure the ingredients combine thoroughly at each stage before adding in the alternate ingredient.
  6. 6. Mix in the pecans and cranberries.
  7. 7. Place a heaping tbsp of batter in each cup of greased mini muffin tins and bake for 15 minutes ( fill 3/4 full and bake for 22 minutes for regular sized muffins).
  8. 8. Cool and serve.
  9. * Refrigerate muffins after 1 day.
Cranberry Pecan Muffins

Comments

1. Taryn

February 10, 2013 at 10:59 am

These things are AWESOME! I’m so excited because we all liked them. I made some with dried cranberries and others with raspberries, so good.

2. rebecca

November 6, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Very yummy recipe. I think I may try it with dried cranberries for my daughter, though, it was a little bitter for. Other than that…GREAT!

3. Carissa

February 21, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I have made the majority of your muffin recipes, but these have been my favorite yet. Great recipe!

4. Tiffany

January 11, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I don’t have any cranberries but these sound so good…do you think raspberries would work?

5. melodystarr

January 9, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Hi Catherine,

I FINALLY got around to making this recipe and it turned out divine. I added raisins in place of the Pecans and it’s the perfect balance of sweet and tart. Thanks again for such great recipes. p.s. – the twins gobbled them up too.

6. Gogo18

January 7, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Hi Catherine. Can these be made without oats by any chance, I have everything on hand except the oats and would love to give it a try.

7. jess p

December 7, 2011 at 9:36 am

these were absolutely delicious – i’m stocking up on cranberries so that i can make them all year! a hit with adults and kids alike. thank you!

8. Pingback: MALT Lymphoma

9. Monica

December 6, 2011 at 11:49 am

just made these and they were delicious… i couldn’t stop eating them… thank you for the recipe

10. Raquel

December 5, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I also just made these and they are delicious! I used 1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour and 1/2 cup of Whole Wheat Flour. I also substituted greek yogurt for the sour cream. And I also put about 1tsp of orange zest and walnuts, not pecans. They turned out wonderful! Thanks for the recipe!
    I went out and bought a bag of fresh cranberries to do this, now I need another recipe so I can use up the bag! LOL :)

11. Gina

December 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Just made these tonight! Yum! I ussed 1 cup AP and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour. They tasted very much like a scone. Everybody loved them.

One question though…can these be frozen like other muffins? I’m guessing yes, but since your post only mentions refrigerating after 1 day I thought I’d ask.

12. Amanda

December 1, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I made these walnuts instead and they were great! However, my husband doesn’t like nuts so tomorrow I’m going to try no nuts, a little more cran…wondering how it would work with a little whole wheat or oat flour in the mix?

13. Stephanie

November 29, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Could you use craisins?

December 1, 2011 at 12:40 am

Craisins would be delicious!

14. Miranda

November 29, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Wow! Just made these today. They are sooooooo good! I made larger muffins the other day with large whole cranberries and my son didn’t like them. These taste totally different. Just a hint of tartness which tastes so good. I’m going to make them again for our toddler play dates.

15. Katie S

November 29, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Sounds yummy! I have a lot of leftover homemade cranberry sauce. Do you think I could use it instead?

December 1, 2011 at 12:42 am

You need to use fresh chopped cranberries in this recipe.

16. Arlene

November 29, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Can frozen cranberries be used instead of fresh? Thanks.

December 1, 2011 at 12:41 am

Frozen would work too!

17. Melody

November 29, 2011 at 10:02 am

Hi Catherine!!! I’m in love with your website!! Thanks for coming up with such wonderful recipes. One of my twins (15mths) has a peanut allergy…not sure yet if all nuts apply, but I’m not ready to find out. What would you suggest I put in place of the Pecans?

November 29, 2011 at 12:41 pm

You could either leave them out all together or you could add something like pumpkin seeds. Since he’s 15 months old, I would just leave them out.

18. Becky Battles

November 29, 2011 at 9:06 am

Could you use canned cranberries. My family doesn’t way fresh but I have a can left over.

November 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I wish you could, but you need fresh cranberries for this recipe.

• Sara

February 17, 2012 at 1:43 am

I used dries cranberries because that was all I had, and just simmered them in a little OJ till they soaked up the liquid. The muffins turned put great! At least they were good enough for me :)

19. Heather Taylor @ Kids in the Sink

November 29, 2011 at 7:23 am

What an interesting combination. I would think cranberries would be too tart too. It’s amazing the things our kids can show us.

November 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I thought they would be too tart too, but they’re amazingly delicious!

20. Avigayil

November 29, 2011 at 7:20 am

What can I use instead of sour cream to make it dairy free?

November 29, 2011 at 12:43 pm

You could try using a vegan sour cream or a soy yogurt.