Quick Cooking Tip: How to Store Home Made Baby Food Video

Want to make homemade baby food, but still not sure how to store it? Here's a few quick tips to show you how. Leave me a comment below to tell me what you think!

Image by Maren Caruso

Comments

1. Upuli Dissanayake

February 12, 2013 at 4:58 am

I am a doctor from Sri Lanka and am a mother of a three month old baby girl. I have seen some of your videos and I loved them.

2. Sarah

April 27, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I have been making my own baby food since day one and found that I make about 1-2 weeks worth at a time. I spoon the purees into ice cube trays and each cube is about 1 oz. When frozen, I pop the cubes into labeled quart size freezer storage bags from zip-loc. Each bag will hold up to two trays of cubes.

These bags go in the door, bottom section of my freezer and line up very nicely all in a row. I have an old fashioned fridge with freezer on the top and fridge on the bottom.

I get my inspiration for baby food from here, of course but I also try and do some of the more yummy combos I see in the grocery store too. My most recent one is roasted apples (or pears) and blue berries. I get the ingredients all organic at Trader Joes.

Another favorite one is roasted chicken with brown rice (trader joes) and veggie broth (trader joes). It all gets pureed in the food processor and is super yummy.

I reheat them on 50% power in a ceramic dish in the microwave

3. Jeanna

April 27, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Thanks for the tip. We use colored electric tape to label containers and sippy cups. When you peel the tape off there is absolutely no residue.

4. Danielle

April 25, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I agree with Jessica. I would make a lot at once so I would spoon the puree into an ice cube tray, let freeze overnight, then pop the cubes into a freezer bag and label with food type and date. I could then defrost a few cubes and have a good serving size. I could also mix and match cubes for different flavor combos. Yay for homemade baby food!

5. Mimzy Wimzy

April 24, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Love this. I just started making baby food for my granddaughter so this is very helpful!

6. Jessica

April 24, 2012 at 11:43 am

Fun video making homemade baby food is the way to go!! So much cheaper and you know exactly what your baby is eating!

I did it with my last baby and froze the pureed fruits and veggies in ice cube trays for a few hours then put all the cubes in a larger marked container.

You can then just grab however many cubes your baby needs the night before and defrost them in the fridge.

7. Krissy

April 24, 2012 at 8:26 am

Few things. How big is the container? Yes its obvious its small, but is it half cup, fourth cup?
    Perhaps some other tips for moms that don’t have small containers like that or don’t have the freezer space to store stacks of containers.
    I would also suggest some methods for heating or defrosting in a jiffy, as I know I didn’t always have time to plan a day ahead what I was going to feed the baby and had to grab something from the freezer. Also might note that you shouldn’t feed baby from the container, instead dish in a bowl, as saliva will ruin the food.
    I would suggest something on what’s ok and whats not ok to freeze. Maybe a tips page or something similar to give some helpful ideas?
    Oh and dry erase markers on the side or top tend to wipe off relatively easy, and its a lot easier to deal with than a piece of tape that might get left on by a helpful partner in the dishwasher.