Kulfi Ice Pops

Saying that I love my kids' teachers is an understatement. I don't think I fully grasped the importance of a great teacher until this school year. Watching the indelible impressions made on my children day after day by the most caring, nurturing and thoughtful group of educators I have ever come across, is a blessing I shall always be grateful for.

One of my favorite things about Kenya and Chloe's school is that they encourage both the teachers and families to share the traditions and celebrations that are meaningful to them. One of Kenya's teachers is from India and a holiday that is special to her is Holi. Holi, which is also known as the Festival of Colors, is a religious spring festival celebrated by Hindus. For the Holi celebration, each family was asked to bring something for everyone to eat pot luck style. There were a wide array of delectable Indian dishes including potato curry, mango lassi, rice, lentils, (Masoor dal) tandoori, samosas and several different chutneys which kids and parents alike devoured.

I was asked to make Kulfi, a frozen dessert that has a base similar to ice cream, but without all the air whipped into it, so it is dense and solid. Kenya's teacher said it was one of her favorite treats growing up as a child, so I felt a lot of pressure to not botch it! Kulfi comes in all sorts of flavors like pistachio, cardamom and mango, but Kenya's teacher really wanted her all time favorite, plain, which is simple and sweet.

Realizing it might be challenging for me to try to make kulfi for so many kids and adults in my popsicle molds (hunting down 40 sticks after the party was not my idea of a good time), I just poured the mixture into individual Dixie cups, placed wooden sticks in the centers, popped them in the freezer and a few hours later they were ready. All the kids had to do was peel off the paper cup and enjoy.

As good as the pops were, the party was even more amazing. It was a blast watching the kids run around, paint their bodies, put on bindis and enjoy a host exciting dishes, many of which they had never tried before. It was a beautiful, bright day full of color, magic and flavor that I will never forget. Here's to the teachers!

Here's a few sweet faces that visually describe how yummy they can be on a warm summer day:

Kulfi Ice Pops  (14 Dixie Cup Portions)

• 1 can (12-ounce) evaporated milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 can (14-ounce) sweetened condensed milk

1. 1. In a large bowl, stir together all the ingredients.
  2. 2. Pour mixture into popsicle molds or Dixie cups.
  3. 3. Freeze until set, several hours to overnight.*
  5. *If using Dixie cups or another mold without a popsicle stick attachment, freeze for one hour then insert popsicle stick into the center, about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way deep, and continue to freeze until set.
Kulfi Ice Pops

Comments

1. Sunny

March 11, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Hi! I am making these for a Holi potluck next week. Can you suggest the best way to transport these? It’s about an hour’s drive and some more delay before these will be eaten.

• Catherine McCord

March 12, 2014 at 8:27 am

These tend to melt quickly, so I would pack them in tons of ice. Probably more ice than you would think you’d need since its such a long trip!

• Sunny

March 18, 2014 at 8:21 am

Thanks! I packed each of the 30 frozen cups in a snack size ziploc and chilled them overnight. Then these went in the ice box over ice mixed with lots of table salt. I filled the remaining space on top with light fleece blankets and taped the box shut. The last cup of kulfi was eaten 5 hours later.. and it was still perfect. Need I say it was the most popular item of the day :)

2. Teresa

September 13, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I’d never heard of these before, but they’ve become a big hit in our house. I think the can sizes differ in Canada and the US, so I do approximations and the results have been great! We’ve added vanilla and mint extract, and it’s hard to choose a favourite. :)

3. crissy

October 7, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Any substitution for heavy cream? Have all the ingredients but that.

October 8, 2012 at 11:47 am

You could try whole milk, but it will be a different consistency and flavor.

4. aleesha

August 19, 2012 at 6:17 pm

anyone know where to get popsicle sticks? went to publix and walmart and they only sell craft ones.. when i called the company they said they should not be used for food purposes

5. Preiyanka

May 26, 2012 at 10:59 am

One of my favourite dishes in summers!!! My mom used to make it at home everyday with variations!

6. Tamara

May 23, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I made these and the kids loved them. I added a bit of vanilla extract, they were the perfect size, and not as “drippy” as popsicles according to my daughter. thanks

7. Kristy M

May 23, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Thank you for another great recipe!

8. Katherine

May 23, 2012 at 8:19 am

So I made these with my daughter 2 nights ago and we sampled them last night! SO good! My daughter loved them! We put in concentrated grapefruit juice to make them pink and give them a little tang. Perfect!

9. Kristy

May 22, 2012 at 8:33 am

Made these last night. So easy and the family loved them. Made two batches and we actually couldn’t wait for the first to freeze completely, so we had a kind of kulfi soup.
    So yummy though!

10. meghna

May 22, 2012 at 7:06 am

So excited. We too, are from India. Never knew how easy this dish was to make. I take my kids to the Indian grocery store every friday to have it as a summer treat. Now, I can just make it!

11. Anu

May 21, 2012 at 10:07 pm

i miss kulfi…it is my fave..esp pistachio… didn’t realize it was that simple to make.. Thanks Catherine!!

May 22, 2012 at 12:28 am

Pistachio kulfi-delicious! This is a great base that you can add a ton of different ingredients to like mango, fresh fruit or even chocolate pieces, decadent!

12. yeni

May 21, 2012 at 9:48 pm

My little guy is gonna love these! He’s really into home-made popsicles these days, and enjoys plain flavors like this one. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

13. kamaile

May 21, 2012 at 9:38 pm

these sound like the perfect summer treat. love that they’re so easy to make.

14. Michele

May 21, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I wonder if anyone has tried popping pops like these into cupcake liners once ready to eat for the smaller kiddos? (drips have their place but you might not want them to melt everywhere on a warm day)

15. Pao

May 21, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Thank u so much!!! you read my mind!!
    Big hug from Barcelona.

16. Janet Power

May 21, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Hey for the gluten free version im sure if you tried coconut milk and almond milk and added some whipped egg you’d get the same result! i make ice cream this way for my kids and its smoothy creamy and would definatly freeze into a popsicle nicely! :)

May 22, 2012 at 12:26 am

Great idea!

17. Evelyn

May 21, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Catherine thank you for all your recipes.

18. Jill

May 21, 2012 at 11:55 am

Oh that looks good! If only there was a dairy free version lol :) I have managed to make a lot of your recipes GFDF but this is one i will have to look at longingly from the sidelines…

• Darshi

May 22, 2012 at 12:03 pm

it may be possible to make this with SoyMilk, SoyYogurt, and honey. I’ll try that with a thick fruit like a mango. I am GFDF also.

19. Nicole

May 21, 2012 at 11:50 am

Can’t wait to try this! Have you experimented with any other flavors? Ie Mint chocolate, or is it too sweet?

May 21, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I have only made the original, plain version myself which is sweet and creamy on its own!

20. Kendall

May 21, 2012 at 11:36 am

That sounds and looks yummy! Thanks for sharing.

21. Celeste o

May 21, 2012 at 11:13 am

Looks tasty. Next time I’m shopping I’ll get the ingredients and make it.

May 22, 2012 at 12:26 am

It’s a good one b/c you only need three ingredients!

22. Dominique

May 21, 2012 at 11:10 am

Oh my……this looks wonderful for the summer heat in Florida! Thank you for all your awesome and nutritious recipes!

23. Daksha

May 21, 2012 at 10:48 am

Oh! I will be making these for my husband on Father’s Day! He will be so happy!! I didn’t realize how easy they were! On a side note, have you announced the winners for the last couple of giveaways?

May 21, 2012 at 11:13 am

Yes! They are announced on Facebook as well as within the original post!

24. Natalie Brown

May 21, 2012 at 10:11 am

How cool! My son’s school only allows pre-packaged commercially prepared food (read: processed crap) to be brought in. It’s sad that that kind of food is considered “safer”. We live in a crazy backward world. Thanks for sharing, those look yummy!!

• Rachel

May 21, 2012 at 7:07 pm

My school is like that too. Apparently it is state law here in NC… I guess it was created due to allergy sufferers, but I’m sure there’d be plenty of lobbying against it from retail if it were attempted to be changed. :( I hate not being able to make Weelicious goodies for the kids.

25. Katherine

May 21, 2012 at 8:03 am

Sounds yummy and simple to make! How do you add flavor?

May 21, 2012 at 11:14 am

You just mix in pureed mango, or finely ground pistachio. Whatever flavor you want!

26. Sonia

May 21, 2012 at 8:03 am

Thank you for this recipe! My family is from India and kulfi is a favorite treat. Didn’t realize how simple it is to make!