PeaWee Kiwi Pops

I can take absolutely no credit for this recipe. None. Zilch. The real mastermind is none other than my cooks-twice-a-year husband. And while he may not be a maestro in the kitchen, hubby is still the guy that makes my heart go pitter patter -- especially when he comes up with ideas like these.

Three years ago, I posted a recipe on weelicious called Peas in a Pop. While I'll never win a James Beard Award for it -- it's literally just frozen peas on a stick -- it is, no joke, one of the most popular recipes I've ever put up on weelicious and a total hit with my kids and their friends. It's a fun way for kids to eat their greens and even parents of children who don't like peas have told me their little ones love these pops.

In spite of the overwhelming popularity of Peas in a Pop among weelicious moms, hubby was convinced there was a way to make them taste even better (and in the process earn a way cooler name). For the past year he has harped on me non-stop to turn his idea for Pea Wee Kiwi Pops into a reality. That's over 365 days of me having to listen to him say almost daily: "where are you at with Pea Wee Kiwi?" Finally, I made them, if only to get him off my back.

Well I only wish I had listened to hubby sooner. These pops are awesome. And if the name itself isn't cute enough, just check out the picture above. These bright green, speckled ice pops are a treat for both the eye and tummy, insanely mouthwatering, and filled with nothing but nourishing ingredients -- the perfect snack to enjoy on a warm summer afternoon.

I can't wait to see what hubby comes up with next. I just may be able to retire!

Pea Wee Kiwi Popsicles  (makes 6)

• 4 kiwis, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 cup orange, apple or pineapple juice
  • 3/4 cup frozen peas
  • 6 dixie cups*

1. 1. Place the kiwis and juice in a food processor and puree until smooth.
  2. 2. Place 2 tablespoons of peas in each Dixie cup.
  3. 3. Cover peas with kiwi puree and stir to evenly distribute peas.
  4. 4. Freeze pops for 4-6 hours or until frozen through.
  5. * These can also be made in popsicle molds
Pea Wee Kiwi Popsicles

Comments

1. Jodi

August 9, 2014 at 10:28 am

Awesome idea! Thank you! We didn’t have any juice on hand, so I just blended the kiwi with some frozen pineapple and threw in a big handful of fresh baby spinach. (I always put spinach in our smoothies. It changes the color, but doesn’t really affect the taste.) My 5 year old and 20 month old gobbled them up!

2. Amy (Super Healthy Kids)

August 6, 2014 at 1:34 pm

We love these! Just shared on Facebook!

3. Pingback: Easy Ideas for a Splash-tastic Summer Party

4. Pingback: Kiwi Popsicles

5. Andrea

April 17, 2014 at 4:44 pm

How creative! Tricky parents lol! Smart!

6. Pingback: 10 Healthy and Cheap Vegan Snacks for Kids - Money Saving Mom®

7. Pingback: Eat Your Vegetables, Dear | Dallas Moms Blog

8. Jess

June 18, 2013 at 9:43 pm

So gonna make these for my teething 1yr old! I’ll try calling them Hulk Popsicles to see if it’ll convince my picky 3yr old to try! ;-)

9. Pingback: Guest Post: Toddler Bites from Weelicious - 100 Days of Real Food

10. Pingback: Ways We Learn Through Play | Eat Play Love Learn

11. Gauri

March 24, 2013 at 9:27 am

loved the popsicle idea! tried it with orange juice and strawberries and it made a deliciously cool treat for my toddler twins. A great treat for hot mumbai summer days!

12. Pingback: myfourboysandme

13. Pingback: Recipe Inspiration « The Bumble Collection

14. hayleylew

February 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I made these a few days ago. My husband looked at me like I was crazy.

Nevertheless, we busted one of these out of the freezer for my 15 month old daughter to eat last night. She LOVED it. She was very content while eating it and cried when it was gone. The peas created a good texture for her within the ice, and I am sure the entire popsicle was great for her aching gums.

I took a nibble and noticed the popsicle was a little salty! I think it was from the canned peas. I drained them but did not rinse. My next batch i will rinse first to wash away any unneeded salt.

We used “motts for tots” applejuice which isn’t as sweet.

Also, used plastic spoons as the popsicle stick. They are substantial enough to hold up the popsicle. After my daughter ate about half, the popsicle fell apart into 2 pieces. we were able to use the spoon to scoop those pieces out of the plastic dixie cup for her to munch on.

My daughter (like myself) is an adventurous eater. My husband silently makes faces at the “weird” things I make for her, but he loves bragging to his picky family of the vast array of healthy stuff our little lady eats.

LOVE this recipe. Cant wait to make more.

15. Pingback: Ways We Learn Through Play | Eat Play Love Learn

16. Pingback: On My List: Popsicles : Oven Love

17. peachy2323

January 3, 2013 at 3:41 am

Where can you get dixie cups

January 3, 2013 at 11:25 am

They’re in the paper goods aisle at the grocery or Target or WalMart!

18. Sandy

December 6, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Where do you find Dixie cups?

and I do not have a food pressor so I have to fork it

December 7, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Dixie cups are in the aisle where the paper plates and napkins are in the grocery!

19. Katie

August 21, 2012 at 4:04 pm

This is a ridiculously great idea. I’ll try them tonight – thanks!

20. Pingback: Bakeify Blog – Kiwi Popsicles

21. Erin

August 13, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Yes, I’d also like to know if the craft Popsicle sticks are ok to use to eat from, or have they been “treated” for craft projects? Thanks!

22. sylvia

August 4, 2012 at 2:32 pm

where do you buy your ice pop sticks? Is there a difference between the ones sold for crafts? Thanks!

23. fatimah

August 2, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Good day,Mrs catherine..Its a great recipe.thanks. but if you dont mind i have a question. these ice pops are cold. so is it okay to give to baby..what if baby gets cold

August 3, 2012 at 10:54 am

Babies, especially while teething, love cold items! If you notice your baby getting too cold you can save the rest for later. :)

24. Kate

July 27, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I just love all your ideas for getting kids to eat more veggies. I wish I had a veggie lover, but I don’t so anything I can do to get her to eat more I will. We will definitely be making these! Thanks!

25. Jess

July 23, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Tried this with just purred watermelon. I thought the colours were great. My 2.5 year old did not. I ended up with a pile of sticky peas on the table. Oh well, you can’t win them all!

• Jorge

February 2, 2014 at 10:01 pm

; send to group, you click there and wait for the name of the group you want to send the photo to, to appear, then click and your photo’s in there!

26. Lisa | With Style and Grace

July 16, 2012 at 11:37 am

I never would have thought to add PEAS to a popsicle, what a great way to sneak in those veggies!

27. aida mollenkamp

July 13, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Kiwi and peas? That sounds strange yet amazing!

28. Nat

July 12, 2012 at 11:47 am

Why aren’t the Peas pureed along with the Kiwifruit? My daughter tends to not like peas so just wanted to ask if it’s a texture thing, or do they change the flavour since I’d need to hide them?

July 12, 2012 at 11:56 am

I just like having the whole pea in there for texture and a surprise! These are sort of a variation of my pea pops: http://weelicious.com/2009/09/02/peas-in-a-pop/ You can totally leave the peas out if you don’t like them. The kiwi and orange flavor is quite delicious on it’s own!

• Nat

July 13, 2012 at 6:32 am

Thanks for answering. I tried to get my daughter exciting about the Peas idea – and we’re back to pureeing them in the kiwifruit. At least I tried.

29. Carrie

July 12, 2012 at 9:50 am

We are making these today!

30. Karen

July 12, 2012 at 9:27 am

This is so funny – both of my kids love what we call “Pea Popsicles” which is literally just frozen peas straight out of the bag, but we try to find the biggest clumps stuck together with ice and then they just gnaw on them. I first gave them frozen peas when they were teething and since they never complained, I figured why bother actually cooking them. I never thought of actually making “Pea Popsicles” with water and a stick, but maybe I will give it a try!