Lunch Crunch: Healthy Lunch Ideas for Kids!

Given how active a kid's day normally is -- between recess, doing sports and running around -- it's essential for them to stay hydrated. Recently, I got turned on to Odwalla's new line of Smoothies For Kids. They're not only gluten-free but they are also not from concentrate and are made from mashed, crushed and pressed fruits – which is why you find them in the refrigerator section of select groceries.

These smoothies provide an excellent source of antioxidant Vitamin C and unlike many juice products which come in what seems like super-sized containers, Odwalla's Smoothies For Kids are 6.75 fluid ounces. They also contain one serving of fruit that is a great start to incorporating fruit into your kids diet (just remember, the majority of fruit should still come from whole fruit.) So overall, these Odwalla Smoothies For Kids are the perfect combination of taste and goodness.

Over the next two months, I'm going to be posting videos about how you can pack a simple school lunch including one of these smoothies, featuring a bunch of cool ideas and tips to make your life easier. In today's video I'm making PB&J Sushi, watermelon balls, sugar snap peas, hummus, and whole wheat chocolate chip cookies, and pairing it with a Strawberry Banana Smoothie.

P.S. Kenya and Chloe almost broke the refrigerator door off its hinges the first time they saw these smoothies in there. Good thing these are juice boxes I am more than happy about giving them!

Comments

1. Jennifer H

April 11, 2013 at 6:54 am

Wondering where I can check out those lunch boxes, and are they leak proof? I have done rollups with tortillas, but I like the idea of rolling out sandwich bread. I also try to put protein, fruit, veg, and carb in each lunch (but dessert only once or twice a week).

2. Victor

September 5, 2012 at 3:59 pm

great idea for back to school and afternoon snacks!

3. Juliet

August 30, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I totally agree w Jen’ above – this website is an amaaazing resource! Give Catherine a break, folks!

4. Jen

August 29, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I just want to say that with all the information we have access to, thanks to the internet, we have to take the bad with the good…the useful with the unuseful. I LOVE THIS WEBSITE! I love the recipes that come to our inboxes everyday!!! I cook and bake only organically but I don’t disregard the recipes simply because they don’t use organic ingredients! Take what you can and do your best with it!!! Unfortunately…we have to deal with commercial material to get to what we really want which are great recipes we can make for our families. We are smart enough to figure it out…Keep up the amazing work you do for us!!!

5. Sharee

August 29, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I, personally, will not buy Odwalla. It seems like a nice enough product till you read the ingredients and know it’s not certified organic (all those wonderful pesticides, gmos, etc). It would be great if Odwalla had a cerified organic line — which I would be much more willing to buy, at least sometimes. But if they oppose GMO labeling (as someone mentioned above) *that* indicates to me their thoughts on being open with their custumors about the true nature of their product. I love weelcious and plan to continue to love weelicious. Just going to ignore the product reviews I don’t agree with.

6. Tammy

August 29, 2012 at 5:36 pm

The thing with sponsored content is it encourages readers to explore the issue and generates some discussion. When the food environment is so confusing that’s not a bad thing! I love all the ideas for this school lunch, except the smoothie. It’s full of sugar. According to the Odwalla website the strawberry banana smoothie has 22 grams of sugar, which is about 5 1/2 teaspoons. That’s a lot of sugar to pack in a lunch drink. I think I’ll keep the rest of the ideas and skip the smoothies.

7. Michele

August 29, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I agree – hate having opened up this “article” thinking it was a regular Weelicious one. I am not looking for sponsored food products/drinks. Also don’t care for these products as ingredients are often from China and I don’t want that.

8. Katherine

August 29, 2012 at 10:28 am

Is there a written recipe for the different components of your lunch video(s)? thanks!

9. Brian

August 29, 2012 at 8:58 am

Can I unsubscribe from the sponsored content? I can deal with ads, but reading an ‘article’ about odwalla smoothies is a real turn off, even with the disclaimer at the top.

• Jen

August 29, 2012 at 8:12 pm

oh my gosh…do you not know how the internet works???? she has to subsidize her website somehow. we are intelligent people and can ignore what is not useful to us and use what IS. Right???

• Claudia

August 29, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Brian – I totally agree, especially as Odwalla is owned by Coca Cola, who contribute financially to the effort to block the labeling of GMOs on our food products. It is messed up having an article on health paid for by Coca Col.

August 29, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I’m sorry this article is a turnoff for you. :( It is supposed to be a way to give parents ideas for school lunches! I hope you at least found the recipes in this video helpful!

• Michelle

August 29, 2012 at 12:12 pm

There has to be a way for the website owner to make a living! This can’t be only a hobby considering the vast amount of time and effort that goes into it.Why not skip over what you don’t like? In one week, I already have three recipes that have been a hit.