1,2,3 Miso Scallops

Every Sunday we go to the farmers' market to buy our food for the week. One of our first stops is the fish stand to get the freshest catch and visit the owners (two of Kenya and Chloe's favorite ladies), Marilyn and Eileen. M&E have watched my little ones grow up and they always squeal with glee as soon as they see the kids, putting enormous smiles on their faces and making them feel quite important.

Over the years, Kenya and Chloe have gotten a lot more verbal about what foods we should purchase. One of Kenya's most recent favorites are the gorgeous jumbo sea scallops that Marilyn and Eileen frequently have on display. The first time Kenya said he wanted them I was hesitant, as I couldn't imagine him actually wanting to eat them. My own childhood experience with scallops was seriously marred by the frozen breaded scallops from the box that my parents left the babysitter to reheat for us on the nights they went out. But I realized that, as many parents do, I was unfairly projecting my own childhood judgments onto Kenya, so I thought twice about it and gave in to his culinary curiosity.

I'm so glad I did because both he and Chloe are in love. Now, no matter how many scallops I buy, without fail it is never enough. Over the past several months Kenya has gone from asking for 2 or 3 to 6 to 8 at one sitting!

I love getting creative with my preparation. At first I started with a simple sauté, but over time I've tried making simple pan sauces or, as in today's recipe, lightly coating the scallops with a miso glaze to give them a slightly sweet and salty coating on the outside.

When you're looking for a simple 1, 2, 3 entree for your troops, I highly suggest these scallops. You may introduce your brood to a brand new favorite!

Miso Scallops  (makes 4 servings)

• 1/2 cup white or yellow miso
  • 1/2 cup mirin
  • 2 tablespoon honey
  • 16 large sea scallops

1. 1. Preheat oven to broil.
  2. 2. In a bowl large enough to fit the scallops, mix together the miso, mirin and honey. Add the scallops and turn to coat.
  3. 3. Marinate scallops for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
  4. 4. Place scallops on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil for 4 minutes on each side or until golden.
  5. 5. Place remaining marinade in a small saucepan and boil for 3 minutes to heat through and pour over cooked scallops if desired.

Accompaniments: Coconut Rice, brown Rice Pilaf, Yukon Gold Potato Fans, Roast Green Beans, Grilled Lemon Asparagus

Miso Scallops

Comments

1. Amanda

July 22, 2014 at 9:24 am

Looks wonderful! How would you adjust this for the smaller bay scallops?

2. Liz

July 14, 2013 at 1:04 pm

does anybody know how this would taste without the mirin? is there a non-alcohol substitution? thanks!

July 15, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Mirin is such a unique ingredient that there isn’t a real substitute for it, but you could try apple cider vinegar mixed with a touch of honey!

3. pauline

April 1, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Just as a FYI to others, Mirin does contain a decent alcohol % (our bottle is 8%) since it is made from sake. I know you are cooking the scallops but you are also marinating them for a quite awhile so just wanted to give other parents a heads up.

4. Sara

September 4, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Oops! I bought red miso. Will this work? Where do you buy your miso? Which brand?

• Sara

September 4, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Okay…answered my own question. The red miso definitely worked but I think I’ll go with yellow or white next time as the flavor was a bit strong. I bought mine off the shelf in the “ethnic” section of Whole Foods. Next time, I’ll do some research (I saw Catherine said to look in the refrigerated section).

5. Kelly Senyei (Just a Taste)

September 4, 2012 at 8:12 am

Love this! Scallops are my go-to for fast and easy weeknight meals and I can’t wait to try this miso version. Thanks for the inspiration!

6. aida mollenkamp

August 31, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Such a simple but great flavor combo. I also love that fresh seafood at the farmer’s market — hope to see you there soon!

7. tiffany hoang

August 31, 2012 at 4:33 pm

So yummy in my tummy im gonna ask my mom to make one for
    me :D

8. Stacy Fredrickson

August 31, 2012 at 2:48 pm

This may sound dumb, but what is “miso” (soup packets or something else?) and what is “Mirin”??

August 31, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Mirin can be found in the Asian aisle of your local grocery, near the oils and cooking wines in that section! Miso is a paste made of soybeans that can be found in the refrigerated section of the grocery or health food store!

9. cmstreete

August 31, 2012 at 9:38 am

I would love to try it with the coconut rice, but the link doesn’t work :-(

10. Kristi

August 31, 2012 at 9:37 am

I have been craving scallops lately. Can’t wait to make these!

11. Nealey @ Dixie Caviar

August 31, 2012 at 9:24 am

I finally convinced my fiancé that he does indeed like scallops—via beurre blanc and creamy grits. This looks like a much less decadent, but still delicious, way to prepare them. I just know he will love these too!

12. Kristin

August 31, 2012 at 9:01 am

How would I introduce this to my three year old? He has ever has seafood.

August 31, 2012 at 11:20 am

Make this recipe and have it for dinner! See what happens! :) There have been foods that my kids have been reluctant to taste so I just eat it myself and don’t try to get them to eat it. Once they see Mommy and Daddy enjoying it they get curious and want a taste, too!

13. Tara

August 30, 2012 at 1:16 pm

This looks so delicious. Would the marinade also work well with shrimp?

August 30, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Yes, I think it would! Yummy!