Happy Lunch Boxes, Happy Kids Featuring Pancake Sammies

As you know, I've been doing a special video series in partnership with Odwalla, and it's in turn made me very popular with my kids. Have you ever seen a 3 1/2 year old lose her mind with sheer glee? That's what happened to me recently.

I was in the kitchen with Chloe making lunch and when I opened the fridge she saw that I had Odwalla juice boxes stacked inside. She went absolutely nuts! "Mommy, mommy, please! I want one!" Her only trouble was choosing which one of the three awesome flavors she wanted. Since her favorite color is purple, she ultimately decided it had to be Grape Berry Prairie.

While I continued making my kids' lunch -- pancake sandwiches, dried fruits, veggies and dip and roast honey cinnamon chic peas -- Chloe sipped away on her not from concentrate, no sugar added Odwalla Smoothies For Kids with a smile on her face as big as I've ever seen.

I recreated the simple lunch I made that day in this video. Hope it brings a smile to your face as well!

Comments

1. Joanne

August 8, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Shared on FB also

2. Joanne

August 8, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Pinned

3. ANN NGUYEN

February 12, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Hi Catherine
    Where I can buy that lunch box please?
    I just order your cook book and can’t wait to read it
    Thank you so much for you amazing website;)

4. Tammy

October 9, 2012 at 8:44 am

I’ve seen a few times where you mentioned taking pictures of your child’s lunches and posting them online. I am dying to find those pictures. I am definitely one who needs ideas (new at this) and would love to check them out. Can you please help me navigate your website to find them? Thanks a ton!

5. Jenny

September 7, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I got plant box lunch boxes for my 4th and 2nd grader. They have been great. The kids love them. They make their own lunches this year and wash them themselves. We did another bento style but with lots of containers. This one is easier for them to manage without all those little containers to keep up with and clean. We had a minor issue with one bag and their customer service was amazing!

Also I want to say too that I am tired of reading a lot of these comments. I know people can say whatever they want. I take what is on any site in and make my own deicision for my familiy. I want what is best for my kids and I love having information but it seems like a little much. I love taking your ideas and seeing how they work. I have kids that won’t even drink juice really so not a worry for me. I just want to say thanks and your website is great and as far as your videos fine by me I take what I need from the. Thanks!

• Jennifer

September 13, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Just wondering if those of you who use planet boxes always send cold lunch. My son can heat elements of his lunch, like pasta or meat, and I wonder if this being a metal container would be troublesome. Anyone else have this issue?

September 14, 2012 at 11:47 am

Since it is stainless steel, it cannot be microwaved so you would have to have a way to reheat the food in a separate container! My kids get a variety of things like chicken, pasta or rice for lunch often and they eat it all at room temperature!

September 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm

What a great idea to have the kids make their own lunches and clean up the boxes! Good job, mama! :) And thank you for your kind words.

6. Victor

September 6, 2012 at 9:58 am

Thanks for another easy recipe….everything looks great again!

7. friba

September 5, 2012 at 9:53 pm

what is the best way to store the extra batch of pancakes?

September 6, 2012 at 11:59 am

I like to freeze pancakes so that I can just take out a few at a time to heat up and eat!

• Claudia

February 4, 2014 at 7:48 am

That’s great feedback Kara! I onagirilly wanted to document my nibbles short-term while I was training for the marathon so that I would (hopefully) eat more veggies ..and we can see that I’ve found more baking classes than vegetables these past few months and improve my photography. I was just telling friends this weekend that I thought these posts were incredibly boring and wondered if they even fit with the other things that I write about on my blog. I never really know what to say, and have been so busy these past few weeks that I’ve been eating my way through my freezer, which isn’t all that appealing. So, that’s good you like them:)

8. Amy

September 5, 2012 at 8:02 am

If you want to add a lunch note please take a look at my site http://littlelunchnotes.com/. Every school day I post free printable lunch notes. They are illustrated jokes, fun facts, etc. – please take a look.

9. Erin G.

September 4, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I love weelicious, and as much as I usually dislike judgy/preachy posts, this was food for thought (pardon the pun). I was not aware the things stated about the smoothies. It is very unfortunate that we have to be so careful about our food, Even the things that we are misled into believing are amazingly healthly. Guess we just have to try be informed consumers.

10. Michele

September 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Doesn’t Odwalla import juice concentrates from China? Pretty sure their ingredients are NOT from the USA so I would not trust them regarding pesticides etc.

11. april

September 4, 2012 at 11:38 am

Once again I wish people would just take the recipes they like and leave the rest without having to sound judgemental about the post/recipe/message for the day. If you don’t want to buy and serve Odwalla smoothies, then simply close the email and wait for tomorrow. I know all about the GMO/owned by Coke/non-organic issues, but I assume Catherine does too. Just my two cents. I look forward to tomorrow’s recipe. Thanks, Catherine.

• deb

September 5, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I think it is important to know about GMO’s and that the concentrate is from China….Odwalla was sponsoring today’s clip so I am sure there is a reason why Catherine did not bring the GMO thing up. My kids health is too important to blindly trust.

September 4, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Thank you and yes, a super healthy recipe tomorrow that we’ve been eating for the past 3 weeks straight!

12. Katherine

September 4, 2012 at 10:50 am

I LOVE Weelicious!!! But there’s no way I would buy Odwalla – it isn’t organic, plus they won’t label GMO’s. GMO’s are labeled or banned in over 40 countries – even China – but they are OK for our kids? Ever wonder why food allergies skyrocketed at the same time that GMO’s were put in our food supply? Our kids deserve way better than that.

September 4, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I totally hear from you! If nothing else, I hope you got a few good school lunch ideas and thank you for supporting weelicious!

13. Shares

September 4, 2012 at 10:17 am

That lunchbox is call planetbox (google it, they did have some at pottery barn kids).

As for odwalla — I’d like to give it to my kids too! But also have concerns about it not being organic, them being against gmo labeling, and the “natural flavors” bit. Makes me uncomfortable with what they may be hiding (esp. When it’s made by coke company)

14. Amie

September 4, 2012 at 10:00 am

Yes I can’t find that lunchbox anywhere. It would be perfect for my kids lunches. Please share.

Amie

15. Jenny Jo Kristan

September 4, 2012 at 9:40 am

What is the name of that stainless steel lunch container?

16. caroline

September 4, 2012 at 9:07 am

Do you happen to know what the “natural flavors” are that are in the Odwalla smoothies? The rest of the ingredients look great and I would love to have a special treat for my kids. I think they are tired of the milk and water routine!

17. Thomas

September 4, 2012 at 8:33 am

Video is not accessible on my laptop – same problem

18. Jolene (Homespun Heritage)

September 4, 2012 at 8:06 am

Video isn’t working…says it isn’t allowed in imbedded players…Fix please? Thanks!

• Mili

February 4, 2014 at 8:42 am

I can hear the morning trfafic starting up. It seems so quiet in this neighborhood until everything dies down all the motors and engines of the cars and the people walking and biking through the streets and you hear the far-off busy noises of the city, the sound of a train that neither stops nor ends.that actually sounds really cool. two of my best friends have been trying to get me to move down to austin so it’s always cool to hear someone describe it :)

September 4, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Try again? It works for me!

• Shannon

November 9, 2012 at 10:32 am

The video worked fine for me. Maybe search it on YouTube if you’re still having a problem.