How do you make a sad or blue day just a little bit better?
While I'd like to think that a bowl of sliced fresh peaches or crunchy carrots is the answer, it doesn't always work that way with kids. Case in point was the other day when I made this recipe. One of my little troopers was having a tough day so I tried to brighten it a little with a special treat.
In our house, chocolate can be one of the paths towards happiness, so I filled two small bowls with luscious vanilla bean ice cream and let the kids drizzle on a bit of my homemade Magic Shell. They had never seen anything like it. Just like my own first experience of squeezing it onto ice cream out of the tube when I was a kid, they totally enjoyed the same fun (only without all the unnecessary additives). They couldn't believe how it hardened when it touched the ice cream and even better, they loved cracking it into tiny pieces with the side of their spoons. Within minutes their frowns were turned upside down.
DIY Magic Shell + The Today Show (makes 1 cup - 8 servings)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
Preparation1. In a microwave safe bowl, combine all ingredients.
2. Microwave in 30-second increments until melted and smooth (this may also be done in a small saucepan over low heat until all the ingredients are melted).
3. Pour over ice cream and watch the magic happen!
Serve over favorite ice cream or frozen yogurt