A New Kind of Pizza Dough!

If you enjoy making pizza at home, you can certainly use a store bought dough -- I do all of the time -- but have you ever tried making homemade dough? Intimidating? Totally! But after making it once you'll realize just how easy it is. After all, you only need a few basic ingredients to produce a simple, delicious dough which bakes into bubbly, crispy perfection (and is also a ton of fun to prepare).

Wait a minute, Catherine. This recipe is called White Wheat Pizza Dough? Isn't white wheat the same thing as white flour?

That's exactly what I thought the first time I heard about white wheat, but white wheat is in fact a naturally colorless whole wheat which has virtually the same nutritional benefits of the traditional whole wheat you are used to. Plus it has a milder flavor than whole wheat, making it more appealing to people accustomed to the taste of refined flour. (Hmm, who could some of those people be…..kids perhaps?!)

You can use this nutritious dough to make everything from Pizza Balls, to Pizza Pinwheels, to my fave, Quilt Pizza (and how to make it), which I let my kids top with tons of vegetables before popping it in the oven. Give your own little sous chefs that job and you've got one fun meal in store for everyone.

Mamma mia!

White Wheat Pizza Dough  (makes 4 9-inch round pizzas )

Whenever I give my kids free rein and ask them what they want for dinner, 9 times out of 10 the answer is "PIZZA!" -- which means I sling a lot of pizza dough in my kitchen. If you enjoy making pizza at home, you can certainly use a store bought...

• 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 1/3 cups lukewarm water
  • 3-4 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for greasing bowl and brushing on pizza crust
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1. 1. Combine the yeast and water in a bowl and allow to stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. (Make sure to check the expiration date on the yeast. If it doesn’t foam, your yeast may be old and you will need to buy fresh yeast.)
  2. 2. Stir 3 cups of the flour and salt into a bowl (or the bowl of a standing mixer, using a dough hook attachment).
  3. 3. Add the olive oil and honey to the yeast mixture and stir to combine.
  4. 4. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredient mixture on the low setting for 3 minutes or until smooth and elastic (you can also combine the liquid with the flours in a bowl and knead the dough by hand on a clean surface for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic). You want the dough to be smooth and bounce back when you press it. If your dough is too wet and sticky, add more flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until you reach a soft and elastic consistency.
  5. 5. Transfer ball of dough to an oiled bowl, cover the top of the bowl with a dish towel and let rise for 1 hour. The dough will double in size.
  6. 6. Preheat oven to 500° F.
  7. 7. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 15 seconds. Cut into 4 equal balls, form each into rounds and flatten with your hands into a disk. Let the disks rest for 5 minutes.
  8. 8. Take a disk and, holding the dough at the edges, pinch and pull the dough to 9 inches across. Periodically switch from pulling and pinching the dough to stretching it out using your knuckles. If you're feeling adventurous, form your hands into fists, rest the dough on top of them and stretch outwards. Don’t be scared to throw the dough up in the air! It actually helps form an even circle. (This last bit was recommended to me by my friend who used to work in a famous pizza kitchen!)
  9. 9. Spread sauce on your dough and top with desired toppings. Bake 10-15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
  10. To Freeze: After step 7, place one round disk on a parchment lined plate or cookie sheet and layer the rest of the disks on top, laying parchment in between each disk. Freeze for one hour and then transfer the stack of frozen pizza disks to a freezer bag. Disks can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to use: remove the disk(s) from the freezer and let them defrost in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Then, let them come to room temperature and continue following steps 8 and 9.

Accompaniments: Pizza toppings: Marinara Sauce, Pesto, Olive Oil, Mozzarella Cheese, Parmesan Cheese, Veggies and whatever else you enjoy.

White Wheat Pizza Dough

Comments

1. Pingback: Looking For How To Make Pizza In The Easy Bake Ultimate Oven | Pizza Cooking

2. Pingback: I Would Like To Pizza Dough Recipe Rustic | Pizza Cooking

3. Pingback: Amazing Healthy Cookie Recipes Honey | Pizza Cooking

4. Pingback: Buy How To Make Spinach For Pizza | Pizza Cooking

5. Kate

April 18, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Looks great! Your cookbook says it should be about a 30min rise. Here it says 1 hour. What have you been finding works best?

6. Pingback: Whole Wheat Pizza Dough | Meg's Everyday Indulgence

7. Linda Haile

February 26, 2014 at 2:49 am

White wheat pizza dough

8. pizza crust recipe

September 2, 2013 at 10:30 am

I like the helpful information you supply on your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and take a look at again right here frequently. I am relatively sure I’ll be informed many new stuff proper here! Best of luck for the following!

9. Peggy

July 25, 2013 at 11:11 am

Hi do you now if your white wheat was soft or hard because everywhere I have read soft white wheat is not to be used w. yeast it is used for baking muffins, pastry, cookies, things that do not require yeast?

10. Jessica P.

July 23, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I made the pizza balls with store bought dough and would like to try this recipe instead. Would one pizza ball recipe use one disc of dough?
    Thanks!

July 24, 2013 at 9:17 am

Yes, exactly!

11. Jessica

June 6, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Once again, you’ve done it. A recipe that did not fail me or vice versa. In fact, it was between your recipe and Bobby Flay’s. I chose yours. What should I do with the dough if I don’t want to use it until later tonight or tomorrow? Just put in fridge? Leave at room temperature before forming into disks? It’s actually out now rising so if you answer this soon, I’ll love you even more than I already do. :)

June 6, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Shape it into disks, wrap in plastic or parchment paper, store in the fridge until ready to use! Up to 3 days. After that you can freeze it for up to 6 months!

12. marissa

May 15, 2013 at 11:45 am

Hi Catherine!
    Can this be made with a food processor? I don’t have a standing mixer…yet. (Next birthday, mommy hopes!) Thanks for thoughts!
    Marissa

May 15, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I think you could mix this in a food processor for the first part, and then knead it by hand!

13. Crystal

March 19, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I’ve been searching hi and low for a good, easy pizza dough recipe. I hope I just found it! I used my bread machine on the dough cycle this afternoon, but we weren’t quite ready to use the dough when it was done. I froze two balls of dough and put two others on the counter. They are rising again!! Hoping it all turns out alright when we make pizza in an hour or so :)

14. Pingback: Pizz dough | Keizunet

15. piz

February 10, 2013 at 11:21 am

Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I to find It really helpful & it helped me out much. I hope to offer one thing again and aid others like you helped me.

16. Leann

January 5, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I’m just wondering. If white whole wheat flour can be used for every recipe that calls for wheat flour, then would there ever be a reason to buy regular wheat flour again?

January 7, 2013 at 1:19 pm

It is a different flavor and texture so it will really depend on your taste preferences! Some people prefer the denser and nuttier taste of whole wheat!

17. Lindsey L.

October 19, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Can I use white wheat another things like cookies ?

October 22, 2012 at 11:54 am

Yes! You can use white wheat flour in pretty much any recipe that calls for whole wheat flour. It is a lighter texture and flavor!

18. Erika

October 19, 2012 at 11:24 am

Where can I find steps 8-10? I just followed the freezing instructions.t Thanks.

October 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I’ve updated the recipe! When ready to use, follow steps 8 and 9 for cooking instructions!

19. lizzy

October 16, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Do you have to add sugar to the yeast mix?

October 17, 2012 at 11:55 am

I add honey! It is in step 4 of the directions!

20. lizzy

October 16, 2012 at 5:18 pm

My yeast is not foaming. I bought it two days ago and the expiration date is 2014?

October 16, 2012 at 6:09 pm

How hot is your water? The water should be warm. Not too hot or it’ll kill the yeast. The water should be about 75-80 degrees fahrenheit!

• lizzy

October 16, 2012 at 6:33 pm

It wasnt too hot. I pulled my yeast out of the fridge and placed it in the bowl, is it possible that the yeast was too cold? I will try again tomorrow and take a temperature of my water. Im new to all of this still, I know I will have some trial and errors. :)

October 17, 2012 at 11:58 am

Yes, it is possible that is was too cold! If your yeast was cold and the water wasn’t warm enough then it may not have gotten to the correct temperature to activate!

21. Nicole

October 9, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Can you use white wheat flour anytime a recipe calls for flour?

October 9, 2012 at 6:30 pm

For the most part, yes, but it will be a different texture than what the recipe intended!

22. Melinda

October 9, 2012 at 1:21 pm

We make homemade pizza all the time, I love my bread machine!

• Mbodus

February 4, 2014 at 5:31 am

Thank you for all of the work on this web site. My niece delights in parptciiating in investigation and it is obvious why. We hear all of the powerful mode you produce priceless steps on your web blog and in addition recommend response from other individuals on this area then our own child is actually studying a lot. Take pleasure in the remaining portion of the year. You are conducting a great job.

23. Rosalie

October 8, 2012 at 4:10 pm

My family are not wholemeal (whole wheat) fans but I have been able to slip in pizza bases with half whole wheat/half white flour and they are really very nice. I have a feeling white whole wheat flour might be a while coming to Australia!

24. Amber

October 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I love this recipe !! My kids always want pizza also and this has been a big hit!! And it’s so much cheaper than take out pizza!!

25. Ami

October 8, 2012 at 11:06 am

Wao.. sounds interesting. Can’t wait to try it…Thanks for the recipe.. Is there any video too for this recipe?

• Himel

February 5, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Great to see you live on TV, Dr. Davis! Now other talk shows will probably pick up on what poeple are talking about, have you on, and you’ll get the time to explain about the health improvements so many of us are talking about!Nancy

26. Catherine

October 8, 2012 at 10:03 am

How many tsp’s would equal 1 package of dry yeast? I have a large refrigerated bag of dry yeast from Costco. I usually do 2 1/4 tsp for homemade dough so I am wondering if this recipe will use the same.

October 8, 2012 at 11:42 am

Yes, 1 package of active dry yeast is 2 1/4 teaspoons!

27. Ann-Marie

October 8, 2012 at 8:42 am

Could we use another type of flour for the same results? (I’m thinking whole wheat pastry flour)

October 8, 2012 at 11:43 am

You could use whole wheat pastry flour, but the consistency will be a bit different!

28. Kristine Gerlach

October 8, 2012 at 8:37 am

Great! And April, they carry it in my local grocery store.

29. april

October 8, 2012 at 8:15 am

Sounds fun. Thanks. Is white wheat flour easy to find?

October 8, 2012 at 11:44 am

It is becoming more and more common so you should be able to find it in your local grocery. King Arthur Flour is the most common brand I see in stores!

30. Amanda

October 8, 2012 at 8:07 am

Awaiting the gluten free pizza crust recipe.