To this day, my son's favorite sandwich is an Egg Pesto Melt. It truly makes him endlessly happy and since it only takes me minutes to prepare, it's a perfect last minute dinner idea, especially when I'm racing the clock to get everyone upstairs for bath, books and bed (say that five times fast_ bath, books, bed. bed, bath, books, bed...)
Today's recipe is my twist on that sandwich and I have to say, it's pretty darn tasty. Any kind of bread you've got on hand will work, but I prefer a toasted whole wheat English muffin, which pairs beautifully with the soft fluffy egg, gooey cheese and tiny bites of savory sun-dried tomato.
Yet another reason to keep a carton of eggs in your fridge at all times!
* If you want to see exactly how it's prepared, this video will help!
Sun Dried Tomato Egg Sandwich (makes 4 ssandwiches)
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large eggs, whisked separately
- 1/4 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Spinach Leaves
- 4 english muffins
Preparation1. Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove half the mixture and set aside.
2. Pour one egg over the onions, and sprinkle half the sun-dried tomatoes on top. Allow to cook for one minute.
3. Using a spatula, pull the edges of the omelet inwards to make the egg resemble the size and shape of the bread.
4. Place the English muffins halves, cut side up, in the pan and sprinkle each one with 1 tablespoon of cheese. Top each half with 4-5 leaves of spinach and then sandwich the omelet between the two halves. Leave the sandwich in the pan to allow the cheese to melt, flipping once if necessary.
5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 with the remaining ingredients.