Sweet Pumpkin Quesadilla

I've said it here more than once. Whenever you don't know what to make for school lunch, open your fridge, pull out your leftovers, and put them all in a quesadilla.

No matter what I seem to sandwich between two tortillas, as long as there's some form of cheese in there acting as the glue, my kids will eat it.

This is exactly what happened recently when I had to make school lunch and discovered I had a cup of pumpkin leftover from making Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal in the Crock Pot. Wanting to test the limits of my quesadilla rule, I spread a creamy layer of the smooth orange puree onto one tortilla, shmeared a dollop of cream cheese onto the other, drizzled on some fragrant honey and let the kids sprinkle both sides with cinnamon before sandwiching them together and cooking to toasty perfection.

The sandwich turned out to be so sweet and crunchy it almost tasted like dessert…and from the looks of my kids lunch boxes when I opened them at the end of the day, you'd really believe that's what I had given them!

I haven't come up with a Brussels Sprouts Quesadilla yet, but believe me, I'm working on it.

For the super simple full recipe, check out my guest food blog post over at the Fix!

Comments

1. Roy

October 7, 2013 at 2:08 am

This is a brilliant and tasty way to use canned pumpkin. I always have a can or two in the cupboard, despite not really being a pumpkin fan. I really can’t see that being a problem anymore.

I didn’t have cream cheese so I substituted my last slice of American. Still pretty good, even with the honey. I wonder if I can push my luck making this a grilled cheese sort of sandwich using cream cheese. I have a picky eater who despises tortillas.

2. lour22@hotmail.com

March 13, 2013 at 10:25 am

Love this idea! I had some butternut squash pure and clack beans, added some cheese and made awesome quesadillas

3. Emily

December 16, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I was skeptical about a sweet quesadilla, but was desperate for a lunch to send to daycare. My 17 month old apparently gobbled it up and asked for more. I tried it too, and am skeptical no longer…

4. harringtonbeachfamily

November 14, 2012 at 5:10 pm

instead of cream cheese i am thi nking of trying greek yogurt

5. ChrisB

November 13, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Do you think this would work with mozarella cheese instead of cream cheese? Believe it or not, my 2 year old won’t eat cream cheese!

6. Tab

November 7, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Yum! I made the pumpkin quesadillas for my 2 year-old for his lunch today, and he LOVED them! He loved them so much that he requested them for dinner later that evening, as well. Seriously, all of your recipes that I’ve tried have a 100% success rate on the table here. Thank you!

7. Maurine

November 7, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Just made these for lunch, will definitely “schmear” more cream cheese and pumpkin next time, but my son is downing it as we speak as is Tomorrow for lunch I am going to do an uncooked pinwheel version of this, hopefully it is just as good!

8. Gina

November 6, 2012 at 11:05 am

An alternative to cream cheese? I don’t have any on hand. Excited to try this! Thanks.

• Tab

November 7, 2012 at 11:08 pm

For my little one that can’t do dairy, I used a lactose free french vanilla yogurt since I didn’t toast it very long and it went well. I bet some greek yogurt with honey would be yummy!

9. Jennifer Dye

November 6, 2012 at 9:17 am

It is good without honey and cheddar cheese as well. I have been making them with cheddar for a few years now :)

10. Nichola

November 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm

What do you think it would be like without the honey? My son’s school has a no-sugar rule for lunches.

• Maurine

November 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm

our preschool says no sugar in the first three ingredients for any shared snack, but I always put a candy corn or jelly bean or two in his planet box! This should be ok, just don’t let them see the cinnamon sugar! >:)

• Leah

November 7, 2012 at 9:47 am

Did you Say Quesadilla and Pumpkin! Two family favorites in one AWESOME! We will be trying this asap!

Our school has a “No Sugar” rule also. Which contains gummie snacks, little debbies, hostess, sweet desserts.. They will literally throw it away or send it back home. I send yogurt, fruits, honey and sunbutter sandwhiches with him and they never have a negative comment on “natural” sugar items.

• Ludicrous Mama

November 6, 2012 at 1:20 am

So like no jelly on sandwiches?

I assume “no sugar” means no treats that are only sugar – such as “fruit snacks,” cookies, and candy. Possibly even sweetened yogurt.

I would assume you’re allowed to pack fruit, which contains sugar. Heck. BREAD contains sugar! So honey inside a healthy option would be okay. It’s like adding jelly to a peanut butter sandwich. And since YOU’RE making it, you get to control how much goes in, unlike pre-made store-bought sugary gunk.

November 5, 2012 at 4:44 pm

A no-sugar rule? That’s a new one! What does that mean, specifically? Honey is a natural, unrefined product. The honey is the only thing in this that adds sweetness so without it you’ll get the pumpkin and cinnamon flavor plus creaminess from the cream cheese! I think it would still be yummy, but it’ll be more of a savory sandwich and not a sweet treat!