Sunshine, happiness, being in love, and getting smothered with hugs and kisses from your kids and husband. Those are a few of the little things in life we can sometimes take for granted, but they're the moments that sustain me. It may sound dorky, but I get such incredible joy and satisfaction from throwing a little Valentine's Day party for our family every February 14th. Complete with balloons, special love notes, and tons of Valentine's inspired food, I think I look forward to it as much as Christmas or my birthday.
Over the years I've made everything from Raspberry Cream Cheese Heart Tarts to Raspberry Shortbread Hearts (yes of course, heart shapes abound) for Valentine's Day, but this year the kids have specifically requested cupcakes. Red is obviously the color the holiday calls for, but not wanting to use food coloring I worked hard on a natural substitute for this recipe. These pink cupcakes are made using the bright crimson juice of defrosted raspberries which render them a gorgeous shade of pink and add a hint of fresh raspberry flavor.
I did a taste test for these cupcakes with Kenya and Chloe and got a big thumbs up from them both. I'm guessing that after just one bite, your crew will fall in love, too!
The Cutest Pink Cupcakes for Valentine's Day (makes 36 mini cupcakes)
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Milk*
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup raspberry juice (see tip)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons Raspberry Juice*
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer or with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, and mix until combined. Then add the vanilla, milk and raspberry juice.
4. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet mixture until combined.
5. Fill greased muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake for 15 minutes (about 22 minutes for regular sized cupcakes), or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. To make the frosting, in a bowl mix together the powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of raspberry juice. Stir until smooth.
Tip: Defrost 2 cups frozen raspberries and press them through a sieve into a bowl reserving only the raspberry juice for the recipe.