How to Cook Super Crispy Bacon - Weelicious

How to Cook Super Crispy Bacon

Yum

Bacon, Bacon, Bacon!

The first thing you would smell entering my grandmother's house when I was a kid was bacon. She must have fried it up once or twice a day. She even kept the drippings (which she used to cook everything in) in an large mason jar on a shelf over the stove. I mean why cook with olive oil or butter when you've got bacon grease on hand? Bonkers good!

There are pros and cons to the different ways of cooking bacon, but as this video will show you whether you choose to do it on the stove top or in the oven, it's easy to turn out incredibly crispy, crunchy scrumptiousness whenever the mood suits you!

Comments

1. Joe

November 2, 2014 at 1:09 am

If you read other “How to cook crispy bacon articles” almost all will advise using a thick heavy cast iron skillet and adding just enough water to cover the bottom of the frying pan. This is done after putting in the bacon and of course before heating. This renders the fat to keep spatter at a minimum and protects against burning.. Check it out! Also, on weekends or when time permits cook it outside on a deck or patio if available, in an electric skillet, In a small home the smell, while pleasant for a while can linger forever, and if you do burn it, no lingering burnt and smoke oder in your home. I tried your recommended oven method and.no curled ends and yummy crispy bacon.

2. Lacy

September 3, 2013 at 3:30 pm

3. Lacy

September 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Awesome tips! Work like a charm

4. Jorik

August 2, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Sorry for the duplicate post.

5. Jorik

August 2, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I use saved bacon grease to deep-fry the new bacon. This cooks it on all sides at the same time. When it reaches a medium brown, I remove it & set it on paper towels to drain – there’s very little grease left on the bacon. I typically prepare 5 lb – 6 lb at one time, & freeze it all in a ziplock. This gives me very fast & very easy bacon for the next few months.

Once the bacon grease in the fryer has cooled, I filter it through a paper towel into jars. I scoop it off the top to run through the filter. Once I have my jars refilled, I discard the rest & store the jars in my frig.

6. Jorik

August 2, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I use saved bacon grease to deep fry the new bacon. This cooks it on all sides at the same time. When it reaches a medium brown, I remove it & set it on paper towels to drain – there’s very little grease left on the bacon. I typically prepare 5 lb – 6 lb at one time, & freeze it all in a ziplock. This gives me very fast & very easy bacon for the next few months.

• Coleen

February 2, 2014 at 9:59 pm

My hat is off to your astute command over this to-bvpiraco!

7. Catherine

June 1, 2013 at 8:33 am

So glad you posted this recipe. I was about to make the bacon and cheese waffles in your cookbook. Thanks!

• Catherine

June 1, 2013 at 4:36 pm

update: I followed the directions for this recipe but the bacon was still soft after 20 min. So I just turned off the oven and left the bacon in for 30 min more to see what would happen and it became nice and crispy. yummm.

8. Chandra Key-Duff

May 22, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I absolutely Love Love Love this site!!!

9. Amy

May 18, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Really??? No oil in the saute pan when cooking the bacon???

May 20, 2013 at 11:32 am

Nope! The bacon will produce plenty of oil on its own once it starts cooking!

10. Lisa | With Style and Grace

May 16, 2013 at 11:25 am

crispy is the BEST!!

11. Lisa

May 15, 2013 at 10:05 am

One trick I have learned in my years of cooking bacon is to put the bacon in a COLD oven and turn it to 400 degrees. So just like you suggested but don’t preheat the oven. Still takes about 20 minutes or a little less depending on thickness of bacon. I also take it out when it looks 90-95% crisp b/c it will keep cooking and crisping a little bit after it comes out of the oven. The cold oven technique also doesn’t make as much of a mess in your oven :)

12. Katy

May 14, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I refuse to cook bacon cause I tend to burn it like you said. BUT, I’ve never tried the oven. I can’t wait to try it in a 400 degree oven for 20 mins. THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION! I’m so happy!

13. diane

May 14, 2013 at 12:31 pm

3 minutes each side in the pan? Maybe I have too much bacon in the pan – I put the whole package in a large fry pan on the stove, but it seems to take forever to cook crisp – no way its going to be done in 6 minutes.

• Meredith S

May 15, 2013 at 5:37 am

I’m with you! Mine takes much longer to cook in the pan. I have to cook mine at a little lower temp, though, otherwise it burns every time.

14. Vanessa

May 14, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Awesome! I never thought of using a small oven grill for bacon. Perfect! I have always made my bacon in the oven but just on foil and it gets messy and also never as crisp as I would like. Thank you.

• diane

May 14, 2013 at 12:34 pm

whats a small oven grill? It looked like a cooling rack to me – can a cooling rack be used in the oven?

May 14, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Yes, its a cooling rack! You just need to make sure yours is oven safe! (i.e. no non-stick or meltable coatings!)

15. Caroline

May 14, 2013 at 11:53 am

Our twins love bacon and I’ve been cooking it in the oven forever. It’s so much easier than cooking on top of the stove. No spatters to deal with and it doesn’t curl up on you.

16. Libby

May 14, 2013 at 11:47 am

Thank u for this vid. We LOVE bacon in our family. It is SO important however to insist on quality: no nitrates or nitrites from pastured pigs. Even the ‘natural’ brands have ‘celery extract’ which is a nitrate. We pay a little more but quality is totally worth it. :)