Broccoli Cheese Patties

Broccoli Cheese Patties

I love the idea of spring cleaning, but come spring my schedule never quiets down long enough to so much as dust off my desk. Between Christmas and New Year's I manage to dive in and clean out our closets, give drawers an overhaul, and purge years of clutter, but the only other time of year when I can find time to spruce up and rearrange is generally around July 4th weekend when life for me seems to stop for a bit.

I've dreaded going near my freezer for the past few months as it's totally overrun with frozen cookies, surplus muffins, extra lasagna, and so much other food that bags and containers literally fall out when I open the door. Ideally, anything you make and freeze should be tossed after four months and so yesterday I decided to take the plunge and go to work. I plucked out anything older than a year (how by the way did I keep missing those two year-old donuts?) and chucked it. Packaged frozen fruits and vegetables can last much longer, and I seemed to have enough frozen broccoli to feed a small army, so I made these Broccoli Cheese Patties. With chunks of green broccoli, zesty cheddar cheese, and crunchy breadcrumbs in every bite they're perfect for everyone in the family from your toddler to your spouse. Ironically, the best part is that the recipe made enough for me to freeze the leftover patties for another day. Now I just have to make sure I remember to eat them before the end of summer!

Freezing bonus tip: Keep a running list in your kitchen of things you freeze. Every time you label something and put it in the freezer, make sure to also add it to your list along with the date. Cross each food off when you finish it so you always know what's in your freezer. That comes in really handy when you don't have time to cook a meal from scratch!

Blue Apron Blog: Red, Orange, Purple and White: Your Guide to the Potato Rainbow
The Heritage Cook: Fully Loaded Green Chile Potato Skins
Devour: 5 Ways to Prepare Sweet Potatoes
Feed Me Phoebe: Basque Tuna Stew with Peppers and Potatoes
Weelicious: Broccoli Cheese Patties
Domesticate Me: Potato Rosti with Pancetta and Mozzarella
The Sensitive Epicure: Salt Encrusted New Potatoes with Mustard-Mayo Dip
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Sweet Potato and Russet Pancakes with Chipotle Mayo
Red or Green: Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
And Love It Too: Sweet Potato Souffle
Taste With The Eyes: Ensalada de Papas a la Huancaina (Peruvian-Style Salad with Potato Cake, Egg and Yellow Chile)
FN Dish: Ease Out of Summer with Potatoes
What's Gaby Cooking: Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
Dishin & Dishes: Southern Green Beans and New Potatoes

Broccoli Cheese Patties  (makes 16 patties)

• 2 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed, drained and finely chopped
  • 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs
  • 2 large eggs, whisked
  • 1 teaspoon italian herbs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. 2. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
  3. 3. Using an ice cream scoop, or 1/4 cup measure, form mixture into small patties and place on a parchment or silpat-lined baking sheet.
  4. 4. Bake for 10 minutes, flip the patties over, and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Broccoli Cheese Patties

Comments

1. Leora

August 20, 2014 at 6:52 pm

I had the same experience as Sats – it was so tasty but didn’t hold together. Any suggestions?

2. Sats

July 29, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Came out delish but didn’t hold together well. I tried adding more breadcrumbs but it was still quite crumbly.

3. Jen

April 22, 2014 at 11:46 am

Could I use fresh broccoli? Thanks!

4. Pingback: 15 Healthy And Delicious Toddler Recipes Every Parent Needs to Know

5. Helen

March 14, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Hi, these have been a regular in my 21 month olds diet for a while now..they are delish!!!! I eat them and love them as well. I just tried them with spinach instead of broccoli and mozzarella instead of cheddar and they were just as yummy!! Thanks for your great recipes!!

6. Jessica

January 26, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Can you freeze these? If so, what’s the best way to reheat?

7. Macaroni1025@yahoo.com

December 9, 2013 at 8:10 pm

My 14 month old and I both really liked the broccoli cheese patties! What is the best way to reheat the leftovers? In the oven again?
    Thanks! :-)

8. christina

December 9, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Just made this recipe and was hoping to serve this for lunch….I followed everything, step by step. When these were ready to be popped outta the oven thr finish product looklooked delish BUT!-THEY WERE REALLY DRY. Wish these didn’t come out tue way they came out. The only thing I did different from this recipe was pat dry the broccoli for I thought would make the patties soggie. I was wrong :/ don’t know if this recipe should require adding a bit of water.

9. Kathleen

December 6, 2013 at 6:51 am

I made these last night, and while the flavors and textures were all great, they were just too salty. Even my husband said they were too salty, and he Loves salt! Did anyone else have this problem? I wonder if the recipe should say 1/4 teaspoon salt.

I had fresh broccoli to use up, so I chopped it small and steamed for a few minutes, worked out perfectly. I will definitely make these again with reduced salt, thanks for the recipe!

10. Pingback: Recipes & Food Posts, December 6 | Paloma Cruz

11. Brie

November 19, 2013 at 9:05 am

Has anyone tried this with another veggie? I was thinking maybe trying spinach.

12. Maribel

November 13, 2013 at 9:10 am

Hi ! What is the nutritional value of this dish? Thanks in advance !

13. dawn

November 11, 2013 at 8:04 pm

what is the nutritional value

14. brittdietz

November 7, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I’m sorry if I missed this in the written above but can I freeze what I don’t use of these

15. Pingback: Eat Your Veggies | Charlotte Moms Blog

16. Lisa

October 14, 2013 at 4:53 pm

What is the serving size and nutritional value? Thank you!

17. blacksnail

October 4, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I wonder what will happen if i don’t use egg? my baby is allergic to eggs. :)

18. Hiedi

October 1, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Saw you on the Chew today & loved the pop tarts idea

19. Pingback: Planning for the Week | WORKING OUT & EATING IN

20. Pingback: Fall days | The Parenthood Detour

21. Lauren L

September 24, 2013 at 11:39 pm

My boys LOVE these (so do I)! The italian seasoning really makes them flavorful!

22. nyca5124

September 24, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I was skeptical about these before they baked, because they seemed so dry. Boy, was I ever wrong! My son gobbled them up, and didn’t for once, throw his broccoli on the floor.: )

23. Beth

September 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Is there a reason why the eggs are whisked separately? Do both go in the mix, or is one used to brush on top of the patties?

24. Pingback: Fall time | The Parenthood Detour

25. ali

September 11, 2013 at 11:16 am

How about any other cheese? We are only accustomed to eating mozzarella, sometimes grated parmesan to sprinkle over pasta/pizza and ricotta in our sweet dish recipes.

September 11, 2013 at 11:17 am

Mozzarella would work in these!

26. klal78

September 8, 2013 at 9:00 am

What is the oven temperature for baking them?

September 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm

350 Fahrenheit!

27. Pingback: Toddler Food: Dairy | Chasing Teal

28. Valerie

August 30, 2013 at 8:04 am

Can i pan fry them instead of baking??

September 3, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Yes, I think that would work!

29. kaleyclarfield

August 12, 2013 at 9:14 pm

These look amazing! I’m wondering if there’s some way to add quinoa to these?

• Becca

October 1, 2013 at 10:41 am

I am going to try quinoa flakes instead of bread crumbs. I will let you know how it goes!

30. Valarie

August 11, 2013 at 11:30 am

Another recipe I can’t add to my recipe box. Anyone know why?? So frustrating.

• Valarie

August 11, 2013 at 11:32 am

nevermind. worked for this one, but not for the dumplings :(

31. Majorie

July 25, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Thanks for this recipe. I think it will be a big hit for the school year lunches as my child really likes her brocolli but trying to make lunches that she will eat but stay fresh is a chore.

32. MBH

July 21, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Just made these and using a 1/4 c it only made 10. Am I packing the mixture in too much or it it maybe because I measured my fresh broccoli as 2 cups before steaming and it cooks down so I was short some broccoli? Just curious if this happened to anyone else. They are in the oven still so I can’t fully review them but I bet they are great based on the ingredients!

July 22, 2013 at 10:31 am

The way you measured the fresh broccoli definitely has something to do with the yield because, as you said, cooked broccoli is smaller. Also, you don’t need to pack the 1/4 cup to make the patties. It was loose measurement when I made them! :)

33. RWatts

July 18, 2013 at 4:15 pm

make these and they were very good

34. Irina

July 13, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Thank you! These are so good and so easy to make! I liked them so much I shared the recipe with both my mother and grandmother. They did not have broccoli but could not wait to try the patties so my mom used cauliflower and my grandma used grated zucchini. Apparently they were all amazing!

35. Nichole Talbot

July 13, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Great tip for keeping a list of meals/foods in the freezer. Can’t wait to try the recipe.

36. Kari

July 12, 2013 at 7:30 pm

This is deeelish! I had some shredded parm on hand and threw some of that in too. I didn’t have frozen broccoli either but used fresh and boiled it for just a few minutes. Came out perfect! Thanks for yet another super simple and wonderful recipe!

37. Monette

July 11, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Making these goodies now to go with popcorn chicken.:)

38. Lynne

July 9, 2013 at 5:50 am

This is GREAT.

39. Hannah

July 8, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I have made a very similar recipe for my first daughter and she loved them. I totally forgot about them. I will be making them for the girls tomorrow…thanks! Love your site.

40. Kelly

July 8, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Couldn’t you buy frozen chopped broccoli instead of florets since you need to chop it anyway? I used to make a version of these when my daughter started solids, she loved them and still loves broccoli 3.5 years later.

41. rydersmommy

July 8, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Thank you for this recipe. My son GOBBLED them up! I’ve been so stressed out about trying to get him to eat a variety of fruits and veggies. Now I have one to add to my arsenal! :)

42. adrimolina

July 8, 2013 at 7:59 pm

These were so good!

43. BK

July 8, 2013 at 3:27 pm

At what point would you freeze them if making extras ot use at a later date?

July 9, 2013 at 10:20 am

I freeze them after I’ve cooked them and then just reheat and eat!

44. lesley

July 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Hi! These look delicious! Is there any way to get the nutritional info on them?

45. Colleen

July 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I didn’t have any breadcrumbs or bread in the house so I used quinoa flakes and they turned out great! Thanks for reminding me if this great recipe!

46. SJ

July 8, 2013 at 12:46 pm

were your frozen broccoli cooked before you freeze them initially? or it was frozen when fresh?

July 8, 2013 at 12:59 pm

It’s frozen broccoli like when you buy frozen broccoli from the store. It’s picked at the height of freshness, then quickly steamed and flash frozen.

47. ali

July 8, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I love your recipes but REALLY wish they had calories & nutritional stats with them. Any chance of theat happening in the future??

48. Rebecca

July 8, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Could you cook these on the stovetop instead of baking them? We avoid using the oven whenever we can in the summer months.

July 8, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Yes, you could saute them in a little oil for a few minutes on each side! They may fall apart a little.

49. Nicole

July 8, 2013 at 11:53 am

This looks delicious! Should I freeze the patties before or after baking?

50. Yasmin

July 8, 2013 at 11:51 am

Can I freeze the leftovers? thanks

51. Maya

July 8, 2013 at 11:39 am

Hi, My girl is allergic to egg is there any substitute we could use for this recipe and some of the other ones?

I would really appreciate your help.
    Thanks,

July 8, 2013 at 11:55 am

Egg substitutes vary from recipe to recipe. A great substitute is the flax egg: 1 tablespoon of ground flax plus 3 tablespoons of water, let sit for 5 minutes. I haven’t tested that in this recipe, but it is worth a try! In baked goods you can also use 1 mashed banana in place of 1 egg! :)

52. Jenn

July 8, 2013 at 11:15 am

Would this work with pureed broccoli? If my toddler sees it she picks it out or won’t even eat it at all….

July 8, 2013 at 11:56 am

Hmmm I’m not sure how that will hold together. You might need to use a little more breadcrumbs to hold it together.

53. Sarah

July 8, 2013 at 10:43 am

Awesome! I’m curious – do you suppose these would taste just as good with fresh broccoli? I always buy several heads of broccoli at the store and then find them super limp by the next week because I’ve forgotten about them.

July 8, 2013 at 11:57 am

If you use fresh broccoli, you should steam it fist, for about 5 minutes, so that is is similar to the consistency of frozen defrosted broccoli!

54. Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig

July 8, 2013 at 8:54 am

Let me just say I am making these today for lunch! Love them. And the freezer…eeks. I just bought another freezer for long-term storage and I’m afraid of what I am going to stuff in there. Love the inventory idea!

55. Burcu

July 8, 2013 at 8:14 am

Do you (or anyone else) have any alternatives to breadcrumbs? We’re keeping our kitchen gluten-free but I haven’t seen any gluten-free breadcrumbs at whole foods. Thanks!

• cbdom1

August 8, 2013 at 12:42 am

It looks like someone else used quinoa flakes, too. That sounds like another good option, and it adds a nice bit of protein as well. Yum, sounds good, I may try it too.

July 8, 2013 at 11:58 am

You could make your own breadcrumbs using your favorite gluten free bread! Put it in the oven to harden, then grind up in the food processor!

• Burcu

July 8, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I didn’t know this would work! Thanks :)

• Robin

July 8, 2013 at 11:36 am

Burcu – Here is a gf alternative for breadcrumbs that my health food store carries . . . http://www.orgran.com/products/139/ I use this in meatballs as well as a breading for my tilapia.

• Burcu

July 8, 2013 at 5:46 pm

This looks great, I’ll try to find it here in the US! Thanks!