When I first started weelicious over 6 years ago I wasn't familiar with many food blogs, but there was one that I kept revisiting time and time again because the writing was just so incredible. Shauna Ahern's site GlutenFreeGirl basically had me at hello. At the time, I knew almost nothing about being gluten-free or having celiac disease, but I quickly became captivated by Shauna and her story. With enormous bravery and a huge heart Shauna has shared her journey with readers for years, both online and subsequently in her first book Gluten Free Girl and the Chef. I can't begin to count how many copies of that book I've bought for friends or recommended to people over the years. It's one of my all time favorite cookbooks and in 2010 was named as one of the best of the year by by the New York Times (the Chef of the title is Shauna's husband Danny, a professional restaurant chef who is her collaborator and adoring dad to their sweet daughter and budding young foodie, Lu).
Over the years I've watched Shauna inspire so many people to reclaim their health, demonstrating how easy, adventurous, and rewarding a gluten-free lifestyle can be. She's a warm soul to boot and the food world is better got having her in it.
Now Shauna is back with a brand new book, Gluten-Free Girl Every Day. What I love about this book is how approachable it is for the home cook. The wide variety of recipes are easy to make and even if you only have one family member requiring a gluten-free diet no one will be able to tell from what you serve because everything is so darn tasty. With over 120 recipes for weeknight dinners and desserts and endless tips featured throughout the book which Shauna calls "feel like playing", this is one book that needs to live on your shelf. The first recipe I made from it is this Chickpea Vegetable Stew with Brown Basmati Rice and I have to say it's insanely delicious -- an opinion shared by my occasionally vegan husband who moaned with sheer delight when he took his first bite of it.
I'm so excited to be giving away two copies of Gluten-Free Girl Every Day. To try your hand at winning, just leave me a comment below telling me what recipe you've been wanting to try made gluten free! I'll post the winner later this week!
Chickpea Vegetable Stew with Brown Basmati Rice + Cookbook Giveaway (serves 4-6)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry paste
- 1 zucchini, chopped into cubes
- 1 yellow squash, chopped into cubes
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 large bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 cup cooked brown basmati rice
1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Once the oil is melted, add the onion and garlic.
2. Saute until the onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Add the curry paste, stir, and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the zucchini, squash and eggplant, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the chickpeas and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the coconut milk has reduced slightly, about 7 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes, cilantro, and mint. Cook until the herbs begin to wilt, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and salt. Serve over brown rice.