Homemade Vanilla Milk

vanilla milk

Lisa P: I’m a huge fan of your site. My toddler is super picky and it’s been a lifesaver. My new one year old is a great eater, but she’s been refusing to drink whole milk (cow’s milk.) She prefers her brothers vanilla soy milk or the 2% vanilla milk from Horizon. The only way I can get her to drink whole milk is in her bottle with formula and I’m trying desperately to ditch the bottle.

My son is no longer lactose intolerant so I am trying to move him to 2% cow’s milk but he is also attached to the vanilla flavoring of his soy. I can’t find vanilla milk in the stores if it’s not soy or almond. Do you have any thoughts on what I could add that’s not too sugary but still has that vanilla flavor? I’m weary about what’s I’ve seen online so far and I can’t afford to buy the travel size horizon milk as our only milk supply!

After reading Lisa's email I went ahead and bought some Horizon vanilla milk to try for myself and man oh man, I get why her daughter loves it so much. Creamy and sweet with a lovely hint of vanilla flavor, it's pretty addictive stuff. Still, I thought I could come with a version less sugary, without losing a bit of the flavor.

"One Family. One Milk." doesn't necessarily apply in many families. In my house, Chloe is a big milk drinker and has no real preference for skim versus whole cow's milk, whereas Kenya generally prefers vanilla rice milk or almond milk like his dad. In spite of those differences, when I perfected this recipe everyone under my roof went crazy. Believe it or not I served it after dinner as I thought it was just as satisfying as dessert!

Vanilla Milk  (makes 2 cups )

If you ever have wondered where some of the Weelicious recipes come from, very often they're from you. For instance, last week I received a passionate email from a mom that I want to share with you as it inspired today's recipe. Lisa P: I’m a huge...

• 2 cups reduced fat organic milk
  • 1 tablespoon agave nectar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. 1. Place all ingredients in a pitcher and stir well to combine.

Accompaniments: Tip: To make the milk really creamy and frothy toss all the ingredients in the blender with a few ice cubes. It's a frosty treat!

Vanilla Milk

Comments

1. MamaStephie

August 16, 2014 at 3:41 am

I just made this for me and my little one. We both love it :) We used honey and real vanilla. She doesn’t mind the black stuff floating in the milk ;) She also loves to drink milk itself but this is a new flavor and love love love it! I got both of your books and made so many recipes already. Right now I am making the crock pot lentil soup!

2. daimara Rodriguez

June 24, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I have been giving almond milk to my one year old buti have so Manny questions I would love to give my son to try cows milk but I don’t know what to do. Almond milk is so expensive and he drink it very fast. Please any suctioned thank you

3. Melinda

June 16, 2014 at 8:22 am

I cannot thank you enough for this recipe!! My son was BF for over 2 years, and he didn’t want anything at night except for Horizon vanilla milk before bed. We were spending $15.00 ever week and a half for it! It was getting so expensive, I am thrilled we have a cheaper, healthy alternative. Thank you!!

4. colleen

February 22, 2014 at 8:21 am

thank you for the great ideas!

5. Pingback: Happy November 1! | The New Adventures of an Old (First Time) Mom

6. Cheryl

October 29, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Thank you thank you thank you! My LO is not super fond of plain milk but will chug the vanilla milk from Starbucks (at $1.95 a pop) like it is going out of style. Now I can make it at home!

7. Diana

October 20, 2013 at 8:02 am

yet again you have changed my life with one of your posts! first it was the crock pot chicken and now its the vanilla milk. the simplest yet most powerful solutions. thank you!

8. Kristin

September 3, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Can’t wait to try this warm come winter. I love vanilla steamers from coffee houses, but they contain that nasty vanilla syrup that is just loaded with sugar. I’ll also try it with my kiddos as an alternative to homemade hot cocoa. Much less work for Mom!

9. Stacy

September 1, 2013 at 5:18 pm

But thank you for using organic milk in this recipe. If you’re going to force your kids to drink milk at least it’s organic, right?

10. Stacy

September 1, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Definitely should not be forcing anybody to drink cow milk. There’s nothing wrong with this poor girl just wanting soy. Fortunately, soy milk is healthier than cow milk anyway. Cow milk is for baby cows not baby humans.

• moewawa

January 28, 2014 at 12:43 am

But remember this if your show signs of early puberty remember the soy!

11. Julius Stone

August 29, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Really good!!! I’ve been trying to make this myself but I always put too much vanilla, or too much sweetener… this recipe is perfect!

12. Melissa

August 11, 2013 at 4:50 pm

One of my kids favorite milk “treats” that I often serve before bed, is a cup of warm milk with honey and a pinch of cinnamon.

13. Kristi Valentini

July 30, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Just made a cup of this for a late night session with my computer. I’m swooning. This tastes just as good as Starbucks and is a nice change from warm milk and honey. Delish! Thanks!

14. Nancy Jo Mannix

July 30, 2013 at 8:24 am

We sample our healthy version of vanilla milk every weekend at the Winter Park Farmer’s Market here in Florida. We sometimes use unflavored almond milk as the base. Our grandbabies love our vanilla milk made with Mannix double-strength organic vanilla extract and our organic dry vanilla beans. I’m a huge fan of yours Catherine–my daughter introduced me and many others to your cooking…delicious and healthy. We’d love to send you a sample and get your feedback. Check us out on our website.

Nancy Jo Mannix

15. Rachel

July 29, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I haven’t introduced flavored milk yet thankfully… but my five year old loves flavored yogurt -especially vanilla though i haven’t figured out the right additions. I make my own plain. I think I’ll try to add your extras to a quart and see if it passes her taste test. Though I prefer honey to agave. Do you think the ratio would be the same? Or would the flavor be off? Thank you Catherine!

July 30, 2013 at 11:06 am

You can always sub honey for agave at a 1:1 ratio! The flavor will be different since agave has a more neutral flavor!

16. Lisa P

July 29, 2013 at 7:15 pm

The kids love it :) Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

• Paul

February 2, 2014 at 10:21 pm

- Haha! That’s a great site, Hillary! Some of these trends get etxiushang. Too bad a lot of them are good ideas. The world is moving so fast though, hard to get genuinely fresh ideas.

17. Yuliana

July 29, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I have been doing agave, organic whole milk, and frozen organic strawberries (4-5 for a cup) for strawberry milk. My 14 months old got tired with the plain flavor of milk and loves the choc soy flavor (off course its really sweet). So this is my compromise :) i def will try to make this as variety

18. Nicole M

July 29, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Thank you! I’ve had the same issue with my 3 year old and didn’t want to give her choc milk. Can’t wait to try this!

19. Lakeisha

July 29, 2013 at 11:47 am

Lovely story thanks for sharing…could honey be used?

20. anna maria david

July 29, 2013 at 11:30 am

hi! Catherine I guess you surely how fun it is to eat jelly and I came up with an idea to make jelly in orange peel .First,I take out or even juiced the fruit inside then I fill it with jelly mixture and freeze then eat them this is so good you know I will wait
    for the video that you make in your style im sure everyone will enjoy it especially kids bye……… thank
    from,