Crumb Cake Muffin Doughnuts + Live Chat

Crumb Cake Muffin Dougnuts 2

It's not until you actually become a parent that you're truly able to realize just how formidable a job it is. Between work, school, activities, friends, and various family commitments, it's enough to make your head spin. Simply getting food on the table for everyone 2-3 times a day can be an immense challenge.

Growing up, my mom prepared most of our meals from scratch, but she always kept a box of one kind of mix or another handy in the cabinet to make her life easier. When warm blueberry muffins came out of the oven I may not have known exactly how they were prepared, but I knew that she had made something for us with a lot of love.

Being all too aware that it's not easy to consistently make every meal from scratch, I teamed up with Krusteaz to use some of their boxed mixes to create fun twists on what they were originally intended for -- for example, using pancake mix to make something other than just pancakes. As many of you probably know by now, I love taking something straightforward and incorporating a twist to turn it into something still simple, but totally unique.

Using Krusteaz Cinnamon Swirl Crumb Cake & Muffins Mix as a base, I played around and came up with these Crumb Cake Muffins Doughnuts. They're fluffy, golden, a major treat on winter weekends, and they only require two extra ingredients so they'll feel like they're totally from scratch. The best part is they take less than 30 minutes to prepare from start to finish, so the only thing that will be left for you to do is figure out what you're going to do with all the extra time you saved by making something delicious with a little help from a mix. I'm sure it won't be hard for you to come up with something!

Crumb Cake Muffin Doughnuts

Also I would love for you to join me online in my kitchen, December 14th from 1-3 PM EST/10am - 12pm PST to make five special, simple holiday recipes. We will also share great ideas for holiday gifts of food! Krusteaz is encouraging friends and family to get together for their own baking parties to get the holiday baking season started right! Just go to Krusteaz.com/holidays and I will see you there!

Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Krusteaz. All opinions shared are my own.

Crumb Cake Muffin Doughnuts

• 1 box krusteaz cinnamon swirl crumb cake & muffin mix
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1 large egg

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. 2. In a bowl, combine the cake mix, water and egg. Keep the crumb topping aside.
  3. 3. Pour the batter into a greased doughnut pan, filling about 3/4 full.
  4. 4. Top with the crumb topping, and press the topping down into the batter.
  5. 5. Bake for 22-26 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Crumb Cake Muffin Doughnuts

Comments

1. Jessica

March 17, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Well, I for one don’t know why everyone is SO up in arms. I LOVE your website. And your recipes. And I agree….sometimes mommas just cannot make everything from scratch. I appreciate the recipe. It’s fun :) And I’ll be making it this week!

2. Lara

December 24, 2013 at 7:35 am

I think this looks like a fun little project for when my kids need a quick pick-me-up or cure for the rainy day “I’m bored” blues. Boxed mixes in our house are usually more about the activity than the final product anyway. My daughter takes pride in herself when she can make things on her own (or with little supervision from me). Sometimes that’s worth more than worrying over every single ingredient.

3. Clarissa

December 17, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I, too, am surprised and disappointed by this post. I have been a big fan of your healthy, easy recipes for kids and families and am disappointed that you would abandon those standards to promote a product that contains partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils, which are not healthy for anyone, especially children. Also, what is the point of this recipe? It is merely the instructions that appear on the back of the box.

4. ashlea

December 14, 2013 at 10:23 am

I too, am disappointed. Maybe a organic or gmo free brand would have been a better choice. Boxes are no quicker than homemade just convienent. The box stuff is what I steer away from and why I look to your site for alternatives to using it. But. I still LOVE you!!!!!!

5. Pingback: Live Baking Event with Catherine McCord of Weelicious #KrusteazHolidays | Simple Kids

6. Anthea

December 11, 2013 at 11:06 am

Oh dear wee. This is wee-ly disappointing. This box mix looks wee-volting! Come on Catherine, wee-vive Weelicious, or we’ll need to start calling you Wee Drummond!

7. Jeanne

December 10, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I agree that sometimes you don’t have time and a box mix comes in handy BUT 1. an artificially flavored and hydrogenated product would not be the one old pick( plenty of healthy mixes around) & 2. I would never be in desperate need of doughnuts!! Dinner or a meal of some sort.. Looking at the ingredients I might as well have bought an entemains.

8. Elizabeth

December 10, 2013 at 8:07 am

This just makes me mad. Yes it is her blog but in a world with so many sell outs it just makes me sad to see she has also sold out. Yes people are busy and if people want to make a box mix they need not look further than the box itself. Your blog and cookbooks state wholesome . This is not a wholesome recipe. I have no idea why anyone would feel this is a good partnership. I’m sure there are millions of blogs promoting box mixes. Your readers are looking for something different and that is what made you special.

9. Fiona

December 10, 2013 at 4:32 am

Is it 1 April? Looking forward to the real recipe tomorrow.

10. Catherine

December 10, 2013 at 12:41 am

To be honest, I was a little disappointed when I saw that there was a boxed mix listed in the ingredients. I like SO many of the Weelicious recipes because the ingredients are staples in my household. I simply will not make this recipe BUT do look forward to the many recipes that Catherine will be posting in the future.

11. Joyce

December 9, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I had to double check the URL to see which blog I was in when I saw this Krusteaz recipe. I understand why people are so disappointed since I’m pretty sure that most people go to your site for healthy recipes…HOWEVER you guys really need to relax because this is her blog and she can post whatever she wants! If you’re a frequent visitor here like me then I bet her recipes have helped you out more than once before! Just relax and let it be people :)

12. Nicole

December 9, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I share my fellow commentator’s disappointment in this post. I absolutely love your website for the healthy, simple recipes that are appropriate for all members of my family. I make a recipe from your website or cookbook at least twice a week. I would never, ever feed my family the cake mix you are promoting and I am really surprised that you would. I just don’t understand how you could partner with this company.

13. Kathy C

December 9, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Uh, people- you are not obligated to make ANY of the recipes on this or any site. Some people use mixes some don’t. Get over yourselves! Don’t like it- then don’t make it! Clearly you are all perfect and she (Catherine) nor I am not.

• April

December 9, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Kathy C., nobody claims to be perfect or always eat above reproach in every situation. I certainly don’t. But on a site that promotes healthy cooking for the whole family (children included), this recipe is not in line with those philosophies. And I understand people are busy and can’t make everything from scratch. I get it. But this particular boxed product Catherine is endorsing is awful health wise. I’m certain there must be more healthy mixes without corn syrup and soybean oil and loads of sugar. I am usually the commenter who says if you don’t like the recipe, don’t make it. But this was literally shocking. I could not believe the ingredients. And I checked it because I had never heard of Krusteaz. Also she said it sounded like a fun project in her response. It would be fun to make donuts with my son, but I literally could not feed him this mix with a clear conscience. So Kathy, perfect? Hardly. But know enough not to buy this crappy mix.

• Kathy C

December 9, 2013 at 11:40 pm

I wouldn’t use it either. I’m not supporting the use of it- nor am I bashing anyone who wants to use it. I typically use organic, local and all natural products & about 95% of what I make at home is homemade. But I support people having the option to choose what they want to eat and not putting them down for making choices different than mine. This webpage is filled with tons of great, healthy recipes. Just because this one has stuff in it that I wouldn’t necessarily use I’m not throwing her under the bus or calling her a sellout because of it. My comment wasn’t directed towards you specifically. It was directed to the general attitude of judgement displayed.

14. ruby

December 9, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I’m really surprised you would use a mix like this. It would be one thing if it were actually healthy, maybe made with whole grains and natural ingredients. I know there are mixes out there like that. But this mix contains trans fat and artificial flavorings! Yuck! It’s a disgrace! I’m all for convenience but I don’t sacrifice healthy ingredients for my family for the convenience of a boxed mix like this. Like a previous poster, I’m wondering how much you were paid to promote this product!! It doesn’t seem like it’s in line with your usual food philosophy. I mean you make homeade playdough with natural coloring rather than food coloring, but you would feed your children using a mix like this chock full of artificial ingredients??

15. Elizabeth

December 9, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Wow I am shocked by this post! How much did Krusteaz pay you for this? I love weeilicious and your great recipes but now question if you have sold out! As I was reading this article I thought this was going to be for a make ahead mix to pull out during busy times. Your readers may be busy but this is wasting their time. Your readers are looking for something more than a prepackaged box of GMO crap. You say this is to save people time but reading this article was really the only waste of time.

16. Lisa

December 9, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I am sorry, but, I would never choose to serve my children this GMO-filled crap over something homemade. This is not what I thought Weelicious was all about & I am disappointed that you would post this.

• Catherine McCord

December 9, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I fully hear you and thank you for your comment. I try to make everything homemade in our kitchen, but not everyone can do that. I try to offer options for everyone and this seemed like a fun project.

• Elizabeth

December 9, 2013 at 3:33 pm

17. Sara

December 9, 2013 at 2:50 pm

What I liked most about Weekicious was the creative and healthy kids meals. Anyone can go buy a mix at the store. How sad that you chose money over the premise of your website.

18. Becca D

December 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I agree with April 100%.

19. April

December 9, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I understand the need for convenience during busy times and the desire to indulge with special foods for the holidays. I even understand sponsorship for your site and making a living. I don’t understand, however, advocating buying this mix. The ingredients list is horribly unhealthy and I would never knowingly give my son the GMO filled crud that is in there. I am highly disappointed that you would encourage something like this–convenient or not.

• Catherine McCord

December 9, 2013 at 3:25 pm

20. Katie

December 9, 2013 at 1:08 pm

My mom did mostly homemade, but like you, we always had a mix or two in our pantry. — which was a great way for us kids to begin baking on our own. Thanks for reminding me of that.

December 10, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Thanks Katie! I’m with you. I love homemade, but this can be a fun way to change things up if you don’t have time to make a recipe from scratch.