How to Save Money on Toothpaste

Adventures in Penny Pinching - Don't waste more toothpaste!

Save Money on Toothpaste from Weelicious

Yum

Adventures in Penny Pinching is a bi-weekly column by Staci of Chester and Company. For more creative inspiration, visit her website!

I stumbled upon this one by accident. I don’t know about your kids but for mine there is NO WAY they are going to brush their teeth with MY toothpaste. Well I wasn’t sure what I was going to do when one night at teeth brushing time I realized the tube was empty. Or so I thought. I quickly grabbed the scissors and cut the tube in half. I could not believe how much toothpaste was still in the tube and what that meant. I had been throwing away SO MUCH toothpaste over the years. Urghhhh. Now, I”m not going to lie, it’s not the most visually appealing thing to have a cut open tube of toothpaste on my counter. But I'm happy because I know I get another 6-10 teeth brushings out of a tube I used to throw away.

Save Money on Toothpaste from Weelicious

Materials:
"Empty" tube of toothpaste
Scissors
Kids

Uses:
Extra teeth brushing sessions

How to do it:
1. Grab your empty tube of tooth paste.
2. Get the sharpest scissors you have.
3. Cut the tube in half.
4. Grab your toothbrush and scoop out some toothpaste.

Save Money on Toothpaste from Weelicious

Images by Catherine McCord

Comments

1. Pingback: 25 Bad Spending Habits You Must Break! - Mamiverse

2. Andrea

January 27, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Hi what toothpaste do you recommend to use for kids and adults? I know the color on the end of the toothpaste (green, blue, red, or black) means whether chemicals or medicine is in it. Green the best black the worst of course. Mine is blue, but has carrageenan and triclosan in it. My daughters is red which is worse so I need to change both.

• Anja

February 28, 2014 at 9:07 am

According to the American Cancer Society

• Anja

February 28, 2014 at 9:02 am

Carrageenan is just seaweed for texture. It’s in frozen yogurt too, not harmful at all. Unfamiliar words don’t necessarily mean chemicals.

• Jackie

January 29, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Just an FYI – the color on the end of a toothpaste tube has nothing to do with the contents of the toothpaste; that’s just a myth floating around online.

• Andrea

February 13, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Thank you! I thought it was crazy that most training toothpastes have black. This helps ease the worry. Buying a natural toothpaste now. More money but worth avoiding the health concerns. :)

• Catherine McCord

January 27, 2014 at 10:44 pm

We use Tom’s! :)

• Andrea

February 13, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Hi Catherine, do your kids use the flouride free one? I got my daughter the childrens one cause she was complaining the other one is hot haha, but they dont have a flouride free one. Do you prefer flouride free?

• Andrea

February 13, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Clarifying that Toms does have a flouride free childrens toothpaste. My local store doesnt have it.

3. Christine

January 24, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Great idea here! I am bringing scissors up with me tonight for toothbrushing time!
    We don’t let our girls use our toothpaste either. Just fyi, watch out for the carrageenan (known carcinogen) ingredient even in kids toothpaste.

4. Sharon

January 23, 2014 at 12:38 am

I found that if I run the tube over the edge of a counter, it forces any remaining toothpaste back towards the opening. Holding the bottom of the tube, place it over a 90 degree corner. Apply pressure with your hand and drag the tube downwards. That saves a lot. And instead of rolling the tube up, clip it using those plastic bag clips. Boy – just realized that I must look seriously obsessive!

5. Jenn Gerz

January 22, 2014 at 6:45 pm

I have been doing this every since my kids were babies and I’d cut the desitin tubes open and saw how much was left in there! I then started doing it with anything that came in tubes.

6. rebeccad

January 22, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Genius

7. Angelee

January 22, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Great idea! We do the same with bottles of lotion. I will get almost an extra month’s worth of use from cutting off the bottom and spooning it into a pyrex container!

8. Dee

January 22, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Been doing this for years, except I only cut the top side, so I can still close it with a binder clip.
    Been doing the same with all my tubes of creams and anything that comes in a tube.

9. lisa

January 22, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I have a toothpaste saver. you place it on the end of your tube and push it up towards the top, it squeezes every last drop out. I think $1 sores carry them. Eliminates the mess of cutting it.

10. kim

January 22, 2014 at 12:40 pm

I do this with any tube I have – you wouldn’t believe how much product, like facial cream is left behind. I usually can get another week or so out of it!

11. Jessica V

January 22, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Hi – I followed the link, but couldn’t find anything on the website about the bi-weekly column. Help!