Beef Stew in the Crock Pot VIDEO

Ever since I started planning ahead and freezing some of my favorite crock pot meals before cooking them it's been a total dinner game changer for me -- not to mention a huge time saver. It's literally changed my life.

This short video will show you how to prepare your favorite meals, like this Beef Stew in the Crock Pot, long ahead of time and freeze it so all you have to do whenever you are ready to eat is remove your labeled zipper bag from the freezer, dump the contents into the crock pot, and walk away. In hours, voila, dinner is served!

Beef Stew in the Crock Pot Video from Weelicious

Comments

1. Erin

March 24, 2014 at 4:05 am

In the video you mention a post you made in January with other recipes to freeze. Can you please direct me to that post – I had trouble finding it.

2. Hillary

March 23, 2014 at 6:40 am

The linked recipe calls for searing the beef, but the beef in the video appears to be uncooked? Should I sear the beef prior to putting it in the freezer bag?

3. Stacy B

March 20, 2014 at 8:42 am

This stew looks great! I’m sure people put frozen meat in the slow cooker all the time and it normally turns out fine, but I just wanted to point out that the UDSA recommendation is to thaw all meat and poultry before placing in a slow cooker:

4. Samana Gardezi

March 19, 2014 at 11:06 pm

Can I use something non alcoholic? Thanks

• Catherine McCord

March 20, 2014 at 8:56 am

You can omit the wine and replace it with more beef stock!

5. Keira

March 18, 2014 at 1:56 pm

This is a great idea! The only question I have is that since the ingredients were frozen before cooking, does that mean that I can not freeze any leftovers? Thanks!

6. adrimolina

March 18, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I make this a lot and love it! Genius idea using the bag!! thank you :)

7. Monique

March 18, 2014 at 10:12 am

This looks like a great basic stew recipe (and technique!). Have you tried it with sweet potatoes instead of russets? And can you recommend any other thickeners in this recipe instead of cornstarch? Maybe arrowroot? Thanks!

• Alina

March 18, 2014 at 11:06 am

Hi Monique,
      Arrowroot is a great thickener that can be used instead of corn starch. The problem with corn starch is that it is usually GMO and a non-GMO corn starch is harder to find and usually more expensive. You can use the same amount of arrowroot as the amount of corn starch needed in the recipe. The ratio is 1:1.
      Catherine, the recipe looks delicious as usual. Thank you!

8. Jessica Shepa

March 18, 2014 at 10:05 am

Thank you! I am really looking for more EASY crock pot recipes. This is going to make it into the rotation!

9. Ashley

March 18, 2014 at 10:02 am

So the one question that was not addressed in the video was do I have to let it thaw before I throw it in the crock pot? When I had my baby, my mom set me up with dozens of freezer bag dinners and yet I couldn’t get my act together to remember to pull one out of the freezer the night before. So morning came and I’d think ‘what on earth am I going to cook for dinner tonight?’ and I’d slap myself on the forehead because I’d forgotten to pull a freezer meal out of the freezer to throw into the crock pot thawed. Was I just wasting energy?? Could I have thrown them in frozen??

• Catherine McCord

March 18, 2014 at 10:05 am

Put it straight into the crock pot frozen! Around the 2:30 mark I show that you just need to open the bag and put the contents directly into the crock pot, and cook on low for about 8 hours! :)