One-pot meals are a little slice of heaven in my world, especially when they're wildly full of flavor like this Spiced Chicken with Toasted Couscous.
Admit it. Sometimes you don't feel like doing dishes. Scratch that. I meant to say you never feel like doing dishes. That's certainly the way I feel. As a result, one of my musts when designing my new Weelicious Menus meal planning service was to include as many one-pot dinnertime dishes as possible -- for both simplicity's sake and to make clean up as quick as possible.
The best part about this chicken dish (aside from the absence of pots and pans waiting to be scrubbed after the meal) is the intoxicating aroma that will be emanating from your kitchen when it's ready. Toasted couscous, bite-sized pieces of tender chicken, plump apricots and carrots, all lightly coated with aromatic spices, come together to create one heavenly Moroccan inspired meal. Your family may even take care of cleaning the one lone pot....by licking every last drop out of it!
One Pot Spiced Chicken with Toasted Couscous (serves 4 )
- 1 cup israeli couscous
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch coins
- 1/4 cup diced dried apricots
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. In a 2-inch deep sauté pan over medium heat, dry toast the couscous for 3 minutes, until golden brown. Remove to a plate.
2. Heat the oil in the pan. Add the onions and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes, until soft.
3. Add the couscous back to the pan, along with all the remaining ingredients and stir to combine well.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10-12 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.