Across the country kids will be headed back to school within the coming weeks, so it's time to start thinking about ways to get kids healthy so their bodies and brains can work at full capacity!
I started Weelicious to offer healthy recipe ideas and strategies for feeding your family, but I realize there are plenty of families needing even more information on food allergies and the science behind getting your body the most energy possible. That's why I've teamed up with Functional Nutritionists, Katie and Megan, at Prescribe Nutrition to bring you a family nutrition class called Kids Rule. More about that later, first let's get your kids ready for school.
Here's Katie & Megan's 4 Easy Nutrition Tips to Help Your Kids in School
1) Start the day off with some protein. Protein has those amino acids they need for healthy neurotransmitters. Bright fruits or vegetables will provide antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and energy dense carbohydrates. A nutrient packed smoothie or a fun egg scramble where you can get in some greens (yes greens in the morning!). Here’s a favorite smoothie at Prescribe Nutrition we feature in the upcoming Kids Rule program. (use code wee20 for 20% off the class!)
2) Make healthy snacks available in easy reach. Let your kids fill up their tanks throughout the day! Explain the need for great, powerful snacks in between meals. When kids have a better understanding of how the body works, they will better appreciate the power of foods, just like you and I.
3) End the day with a healthy nutritious meal. After a long day in school, running around, sports, activities, etc., it’s important to recharge. A well-balanced dinner gives all our bodies that replenishment it needs!
4) Stay hydrated. Water is the most important element each body needs and far too often kids get less of it than they need. Pack a water in their lunches, and put a pitcher out so kids can help themselves easily.
5) Need more help about proper nutrition for your family?
Kids Rule takes the principles of proper nutrition, and fun food education, and breaks them down even more in a 12-day online class. Included in the class will be a packet of Weelicious recipes, fun kitchen activities, challenges, lessons about food sensitivities and education on mood and behavior and their link to food. Last but certainly not least - you’ll be a part of an active discussion board where you can ask anything your heart desires - and we will gladly watch and respond like little nutrition hawks. All Weelicious readers will get 20% off the cost of the class! Simply use code wee20 at checkout!
Let’s start your school year off on the right foot! We think there is no better time than now to dive into the very topic that keeps us happy, healthy and smart – NUTRITION!
Click here to learn more about Kids Rule. New class starts November 10, 2014. Use "wee20" to save 20% off.
Disclaimer: Weelicious will receive a percentage of these classes. Your support is greatly appreciated!
Photos by Barret Loving Photography.
5 Ways Nutrition Helps Kids in School (2 servings)
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 avocado
- 2/3 cup almond, coconut or rice milk
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1-2 tablespoons almond or sunbutter
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 Dates, pitted
- protein powder, optional
- 1 ripe banana, peeled
PreparationBlend greens, non-dairy milk and water until well blended. Add the banana, nut/seed butter, cinnamon and dates and blend until smooth.
Add the avocado and blend until just combined, you don’t want to over-blend the avocado as it will become too thick!