If you’re heading out to the barbecue this week to make my personal favorite craving, Southern Style Pork Tenderloin or even staying inside to make Chicken Sun Dried Tomato or Eggplant burgers you want to offer a side dish that feels just as exciting. It’s natural to want to make a staple summertime side dish like potato salad, coleslaw or corn on the cob, but this Mediterranean Chopped Salad is so much more exciting! Al of the vibrant colors combined with so many fresh vegetables in one bowl.
You can chop your veggies in any shape you enjoy, but I’m a big fan of bite size pieces for many reasons. When vegetables are cut into small pieces they’re not only easier to digest, but also much easier to chew, especially for young eaters. I also threw in a few handfuls of chickpeas for an added boost of protein.
When you toss everything together with fresh chopped herbs (your kids can even help you by tearing them into big pieces) and a zippy vinaigrette made with ingredients I guarantee you already have in your pantry, you’ll be requested to make this all summer long. This Mediterranean Chopped Salad looks like confetti in a bowl giving it tons of eye appeal and a perfect family friendly side dish for your summer barbecue!
Photos by Matt Armendariz
Mediterranean Chopped Salad (serves 4)
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 persian cucumbers, diced
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and halved
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons Red WIne Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
1. In a large bowl add the first 7 ingredients and stir to combine.
2. In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, honey, cumin, cardamom, and salt, to combine well. Whisk in olive oil.
3. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the vegetables and toss to combine.